Looking for a new ski

More
6 years 7 months ago #29826 by kwolfe
Looking for a new ski was created by kwolfe
Hey everyone. So I sold my V8 and am looking for another ski to compliment my SEL.

The V8 is a great ski and served as my winter boat but I'm looking for either a step up to something like and SR, V10sport, XT or equivalent.

Just wanted to see if anyone had any insight. I'm online the web checking daily.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 7 months ago #29827 by JonathanC
Replied by JonathanC on topic Looking for a new ski
I'm getting an Ultra Spec V8 Pro, trading in my 7 year old V10s which was my first boat. Also have an SES so want a complimentary stable boat for big downwind and for working on technique. Looked at the Nelo 520 but they are expensive in Oz and no support in Victoria.

More
6 years 7 months ago #29828 by Cerca Trova
Replied by Cerca Trova on topic Looking for a new ski
I just sold my Stellar SR and it's a great all around ski.
A friend of mine has a Vajda Next 46 and it's a very well built boat that's very stable, and has a good turn of speed. I have the Next 43 and the quality is exceptional. I also came away impressed with the V8 Pro. It's almost too stable though.

More
6 years 7 months ago #29836 by Atlas
Replied by Atlas on topic Looking for a new ski
If you were happy with your V8 then a V8pro is a no brainer unless I'm missing something.
I've paddled a mates V8pro and I think it would make a great winter / downwind / rough water boat. My current boat for such purposes is an XT with a DK rudder. I'm really happy with it but there's no denying that the more modern boats in this category are better. My favourite is the Nelo 520 which is much faster than it's dimensions would suggest. The V10 sport is a very popular boat for good reason although light weight paddlers can find themselves getting tossed around a bit in rough conditions.

Current boats
Epic V10L Ultra, Epic V9 Ultra, Carbonology Sport Boost X LV, Fenn Bluefin, Nelo 510, Fenn XT double, Nelo 600, Expedition Kayaks Azure, Mirage 732.
Previous boats
Spirit PRS, Fenn Swordfish, Fenn XT, Fenn Swordfish S, Think Zen, Epic V10L Club, Carbonology Sport Boost LV

More
6 years 7 months ago #29837 by davgdavg
Replied by davgdavg on topic Looking for a new ski
If you already have an SEL, moving into something like a V10 or Swordfish will be pretty similar it seems.

Maybe something like an S18? You can take it out on big days or whatever, but also go touring if you feel like it.

More
6 years 7 months ago #29841 by kwolfe
Replied by kwolfe on topic Looking for a new ski
Thanks guys. The V8 pro does look cool but funds only support a used ski which there won't be many around.

Just a little more background. I paddle rivers and lake (mid state Pennsylvania) so no downwinding for me unless we get the wind blowing in the right direction and even then they are a couple feet and close together.

Mostly I wanted to use it for times when the water gets cold and I want some more security or the wind is really howling and the river chop is nasty.

Also, truth be told, I kinda just want a new ski! I saw a Vajda 43 near and and would love to try one out. Problem is, it's basically the same thing as what I have now. Anyhow, thats why I was thinking V10S, SR, Next 46, Nelow 520, etc.

Latest Forum Topics