Epic V8 Ultra durability

More
9 years 6 months ago - 9 years 5 months ago #22003 by Sifor
Hi all,

I am a new owner of an Epic V8 in Ultra layup (carbon/kevlar nomex).

I'd like some guidance on the durability of the hull. I understand it's apparently stronger than the Club/Performance, but weaker in terms of impacts.

I was catching some runs today off a local point. When powering out through some of the waves, the bow sometimes smashes down back into the water. A bit like this (not my video):

It makes a terrible sound (hollow thud)... is it a case of it sounds a lot worse than it really is...or do I need to avoid it as much as I can? Would this be something regarded as an 'impact', or do I only need to avoid rocks and knocking it when getting it off the car etc?

I have no intention of catching broken waves, just the unbroken runs that offer good fun.. also I'll stick well clear of sandbanks! That being said, I'd really kick myself if the hull ends up damaged... at almost $5k it's too expensive to break!

Just wondering if I'm being too precious...
Last edit: 9 years 5 months ago by Sifor.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 5 months ago - 9 years 5 months ago #22007 by Coast Steve
Sifor,

Don't worry one little bit about the hull coming down on waves. It could never hurt the boat.

Rocks are another story for sure though. even putting it down on the dock or beach...be carefull.

I put a hole in my outrigger once by placing it carefully on a small nail head on a dock I didn't see.
Only to have a nice little clean hole right into the hull.

Smashing around on the waves spreads out the impact loads all around the shape of the hull and is nowhere near the type of impact that would damage your Ultra layup V8 anyway.

Oh, and I don't think the ultra would be any stronger than the club boat, just lighter. But I may be wrong.

Steve

NELO K1 Flatwater
26 foot montgomary OC1
(Seven Of Nine)
Last edit: 9 years 5 months ago by Coast Steve.

More
9 years 5 months ago #22008 by Simon Haywood
Sifor, I've owned two V8 (Ultras) Series 1 & Series 1.5 = awkward in between model that was released for about two months before they released the current model - limited edition I was told - Bullsh_t.
They are a good ski you should have no trouble with the layup with what you portrayed in your video. I have rolled mine in the crash zone(surf break) with no damage...I've even been hit with the odd wayward ski in a race with no damage. Just be careful when handling the ski around any hard(unforgiving surface) nomex cores don't enjoy that very well...dent very easily and can delaminate, also check the seam line a day or two after you paddle - look for any telltale white marks(salt)coming out - thats how I found the hairline cracks you get from time to time. Go over your ski each time you wash it...the first sign of any problems detail it with photographs and if you're still in doubt take it to you place of purchase...So that they are aware too...After all you've paid nearly five thousand!

Previous craft: Affinity, Endorfinn, Multisport, Epic V8, V10sport, V10, V12, Fenn Swordfish, Spirit PRS Elite; Stellar S18S, SR, SE, SEL, S2E, S2EL

Current Skis:
Huki S1-R
Stellar S18S - Excel
Stellar SR - Ultra

Skis on order: None!

More
9 years 5 months ago #22010 by Sifor
Replied by Sifor on topic Epic V8 Ultra durability
Thanks for the info, glad to hear it'll be ok. I'll still be very careful when handling it though! Cheers

More
9 years 5 months ago #22028 by Fath2o
Replied by Fath2o on topic Epic V8 Ultra durability
Maybe my experience is unique, but, I would say punching through and getting airborne through the back of waves puts huge stresses on a surfski. Years ago, I punched through a 1 meter wave on my three week old carbon "Elite" ski and there was a loud pop. A 6mm chunk of gel coat popped off and caused a meter long split in the seam at the seat.
I have also managed to do similar damage being caught inside the surf line on an old ski with lots of previous injuries and repairs without hitting any solid objects.
If it keeps you up at night being concerned about damaging your ski punching through and getting air borne through the back of waves, I
would say YES, avoid it as much as possible.
I personally avoid aggressively punching through waves on my undamaged skis and only subject my old beater XT to that type of abuse. If I Buckle the XT , again, I won't be heart broken. Getting airborne is FUN!

Latest Forum Topics