Stellar SR Advantage Vs Epic V7

More
8 years 10 months ago #24070 by johnnyonetoast
Due to beginner error and some rather impressive surf I collided with a mate of mine. Long story short, his Stellar bow tore through my V7 behind the bucket. Hard enough to jettison me but not him........
Damage displayed. Poly boats are generally tougher than this in my experience. I guess its a trade off for light weight.
Anyway, repair in progress with heat gun and S/S mesh, don't anticipate any problems.
Quite disappointing as I rate the V7, surfs well , quicker than you'd think, comfy and just heaps of fun........

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kocho

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 10 months ago #24073 by Joseph Di Chiacchio
Wow! I would have thought the damage would have been on the Stellar.

More
8 years 10 months ago #24074 by steveb
Would be interested to know what you are using for your patch and how it holds up. Did you contact EPIC for repair recommendations?

More
8 years 10 months ago #24075 by zachhandler
Ouch! Sandwich layups (V7 is a plastic sandwich) are stiff and light but the tradeoff is taht they are more prone to impact damage. The bow of any surfski is a very sharp and strong structure. i wonder what the damage would have been to a conventional composite boat? Still, that is a shockingly large gash in the hull. It will be interesting to hear more real world reports about the durability of the V7. Of particular concern are the more common collisions such as a with a submerged rock or the wall of a garage.

Current Skis: Epic v10 g3, NK 670 double, NK exrcize, Kai Wa’a Vega, Carbonology Feather, Think Jet, Knysna Sonic X
Former Skis: Epic V12 g2, Epic V12 g1, Epic v10 double, Nelo 550 g2, Fenn Elite S, Custom Kayaks Synergy

More
8 years 10 months ago #24078 by Kocho
Ouch! Hope you can fix it.

Not encouraging though, seeing this type of damage. I was thinking about potentially using a V7 on a river, where I'd occasionally slide over a submerged rock or bump into rocks while negotiating rapids on class 1-3 whitewater. From the looks of it, that layup might not be any more durable than composite, and not easier to repair either...

More
8 years 10 months ago - 8 years 10 months ago #24079 by Fuyang Guy
Kocho,
Something like this?

The V7 has seen plenty of river action in SA.
this is all 120kgs of Oscar on the upper Umzimkulu river(Race called the Drak Challenge)I think 4 V7's did the race.
A couple of V7's also did this years Umkomaas river marathon.
Serious rapids.

(@1:53)
Attachments:
Last edit: 8 years 10 months ago by Fuyang Guy. Reason: additional info
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kocho, Watto

More
8 years 10 months ago #24081 by Kocho
Yup, just like this. I'm sure it can handle a race or a few, just like the composite boats can. But I doubt it will be as resilient as the traditional rotomoulded construction that can take serious abuse. I imagine the outer layer on the V7 is quite thin and almost any serious snag on a sharp rock will go through it straight to the core (where on composite it will be just a scrape and on poly - a deep gash).

More
8 years 10 months ago #24082 by zachhandler
I wouldn't get too caught up in speculation here. The hole in the boat was from a direct T-bone collision in "rather impressive surf". That would put a hole in any composite boat.

Current Skis: Epic v10 g3, NK 670 double, NK exrcize, Kai Wa’a Vega, Carbonology Feather, Think Jet, Knysna Sonic X
Former Skis: Epic V12 g2, Epic V12 g1, Epic v10 double, Nelo 550 g2, Fenn Elite S, Custom Kayaks Synergy

Latest Forum Topics