2010 Epic V8

More
7 years 6 months ago #27126 by doclake
2010 Epic V8 was created by doclake
I am new to surf skis (have paddled SUP's for years).
I have the opportunity to purchase a used 2010 Epic V8 performance model- good condition, for $1600 US.
Does anyone have any experience with this 2010 version?
It appears that the main changes over the last 6 years have been with the bailer.
Thanks for your thoughts.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 6 months ago #27127 by [email protected]
Replied by [email protected] on topic 2010 Epic V8
It's a fun boat. The newer ones aren't radically different - the V8 Pro is slimmer and slightly faster, but the 2010 model is a great starter boat, that you'll find extremely stable and comfortable to paddle (and a lot faster than your SUPs!)

Welcome to surfski!

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...
The following user(s) said Thank You: doclake

• photofr
  • Platinum Member
  • SURFSKI: K1 560M - 560x43.8 / K2 Viper - 650x56
More
7 years 6 months ago #27130 by photofr
Replied by photofr on topic 2010 Epic V8
The differences between the V8 first generation and the V8 second generation aren't huge, but they are there. Your ski will lack:
Nearly 7 years of built-knowledge.
More stability.
More glide.
More comfort.
Ease of ajudtements (foot rest area).
The new bailer, that is so very useful.
Side handles (center of ski) that you and your friends will love.
(all the above come standard on the new V8, as well as on most newer skis available today)

If this 2010 V8 was 2 to 4 years old, I'd say "great deal", but $1600 for a ski that's almost 7 years old seems a little high to me. Plus, there are plenty of super similar skis available to you TODAY.

Fenn Blue Fin
Think Easy
Nelo 520

For reference, $2200 could get you into a BRAND NEW SKI today; a ski that could be a little lighter, a little more stable, and even a little faster... depending on the model you choose.

Ludovic
(Brittany, France)
The following user(s) said Thank You: doclake

More
7 years 6 months ago #27144 by kwolfe
Replied by kwolfe on topic 2010 Epic V8
I have the same boat and it is great for beginners. Very stable and will feel very fast compared to your SUP (I SUP as well). $1600 isn't bad depending on where you live. I don't live on the coast so there are not tons of used skis laying around therefore prices are higher.

More
7 years 5 months ago #27264 by mckengmsurfski
Replied by mckengmsurfski on topic 2010 Epic V8
The price for a Performance layup is within the market range for that model, at least in my part of the USA (SC). There are a lot of options out there for the beginner level skis (Think Ace, Nelo 520, Stellar 18S, Fenn BlueFin, Epic V8, etc...), and they all have unique qualities. You may find you like a certain one much more than the others. I would recommend getting somewhere to try a variety of skis if possible before making a decision.
If you're on the east coast you should come to our race, The North Shore Cup, on Oct 15th on Lake Marion in Summerton, SC. You could race your SUP and then demo all the surfskis from Think and Nelo. I'm sure there will be paddlers there with V8s and Stellar 18S for you to try as well. That way you can make an informed decision.

More
6 years 10 months ago #28834 by Selkie
Replied by Selkie on topic 2010 Epic V8
I have been paddling V8s since they first came out and still have a small fleet of the original V8 and the new V8. The new V8 is NOT more stable than to the original. In fact I would say the opposite is true but only slightly. Apart from the added fittings, the fundamental difference is that the original V8 has more rocker as it was taken from the 18X sea kayak. This is why I have both and will keep my originals as they handle better in conditions from all angles whereas the new V8 with less rocker is slightly better in a following sea and flat water. Having put rear hatches on both and looking inside, I can see no difference in the layup.

Surfski Kayak on Facebook
www.facebook.com/groups/395803743862021

Latest Forum Topics