Drain speed on Epic V10 Sport?

More
12 years 9 months ago - 12 years 9 months ago #7052 by Kocho
Just bought a V10 Sport (current crop, '11 model) and I find the drainage quite inadequate. On flat water I need to be paddling close to my top speed to *almost* empty the foot well. There is some angle there so the foot well can't be completely dry anyway (the drain is higher than the bottom of the foot well so it can't empty it completely no matter what). But even in some good speed downwind conditions I thought I had more water in than I liked and drainage seems rather slow. I can't get the foot well dry at a quick touring speed - have a couple of inches of water there...

Comparing to the V8 that I test-paddled recently, where I clocked it got dry at just over 4mph, or the V12 where the drain too seems to work well, the slow drainage of the V10 Sport is a big difference. I seem to need to be going at least 6mph to get near dry in the V10 Sport.

Folks with the V10S - do you have the same observation?

Thanks!
Last edit: 12 years 9 months ago by Kocho.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 9 months ago #7053 by AR_convert
I can confirm that the club layup V10 sport I had always seemed to have about an inch of water sloshing around my feet, V10L was much the same. I didnt know you could get much better/faster draining boats at the time but now I have a boat with the bullet scuppers and wow what a difference.

Always looking for the next boat :)

More
12 years 9 months ago #7054 by Rightarmbad
My V10 generally has a half an inch of water in it, even though the drain has water regularly covering it.

But, if I do happen to go fast it will go dry, it's just that I simply cannot paddle at that speed for a length of time.
It will regularly go dry when surfing a wave.(maybe the water just runs down to behind the footboard and I cannot see it)

I have no problem with the speed at which it drains.

As soon as I get around to it, I am going to try and make up a bullet of some sort and give it a go.

Follow the path of the independent thinker. Expose your ideas to the dangers of controversy. Speak your mind and fear less the label of 'crackpot' than the stigma of conformity. And on issues that are important to you, stand up and be counted at any cost.--- Thomas J. Watson

More
12 years 9 months ago #7055 by Kocho
There are 2 things I plan to do. Since I have my foot board all the way to the end, I have all that wasted space, to the rear of it towards the drain hole. It looks like I can place a couple of inches thick shaped minicell foam there (will not interfere with my calves it appears and will minimize the water volume. Will also install a bullet to see if that helps.

I do have a rubber plug for the scupper hole that I use on flat water and it works fine to keep most water out for miles at a time.

• Treeman
  • Visitor
12 years 9 months ago #7056 by Treeman
Replied by Treeman on topic Re:Drain speed on Epic V10 Sport?
I had the same sloshy footwell problem in my performance layup V10 sport,18 months ago I fitted a bullet to the drain and the problem practically disappeared.
Water started draining(slurping sounds)2-3kph slower.
It was a great ski!A good stepping stone to my current Stellar SE which I also love!

More
12 years 9 months ago #7057 by jbk
Hi
I also always have some water in the V10 sport.
Just a question. How do you fit bullet scuppers to the V10 sport? Mine has the under-surface grooved near the drain. I also have a Fenn Elite where the under-surface is flat.
Which scupper have you used?
Many thanks

More
12 years 9 months ago #7074 by Kocho
Treeman wrote:

I had the same sloshy footwell problem in my performance layup V10 sport,18 months ago I fitted a bullet to the drain and the problem practically disappeared.
Water started draining(slurping sounds)2-3kph slower.

I'de be curious to see some photos or get more info on the bullet you used. I fashioned one a couple of days ago (from hard construction foam that shapes easy) and installed it temporarily. I did not see any appreciable difference.

I think to see a difference I would need to have a larger diameter of the scupper hole and the cone over it. As it is, the standard seems to be of small diameter with a small cover that does not create much suction. Enough if I am paddling hard (over 6mph or so) , not enough if I am just cruising (under 6mph). Even at 8mph (surfing some waves) the drainage is slow so I think more than just a bullet is needed to fix the problem with the V10 Sport's drainage.

In short, my bullet did not work. But if there is a differnete shape/size bullet that makes it work better, I might give it another go if I see one that its owner says it works on the V10 Sport... Other than that - drill a new wider drain and install bigger scupper covers would solve it (and do it forward in the foot well to get more water out)

• Treeman
  • Visitor
12 years 9 months ago #7084 by Treeman
Replied by Treeman on topic Re:Drain speed on Epic V10 Sport?
Kocho
I cant supply photos as I sold the ski 9 months ago.
A friend made it so can't comment on the material of construction accurately.
It was approx 9-10cm long rounded at front and tapered at rear.At the front it obviously sat and filled the groove behind the drain.
The leading edge of the bullet started approx 2-3mm behind the trailing edge of the drain.
Th width of bullet at its widest was approx 1mm(each side) narrower than the drain width.
This is from memory so apologies for the vagueness of the description,but it sure made a difference!!
If Hapuka is reading this he may want to add something as he made it.

Latest Forum Topics