Fenn Elite S

More
9 years 1 month ago - 9 years 1 month ago #23345 by NK
Replied by NK on topic Fenn Elite S
I am very impressed with the new Fenn Elite S.

Subtle differences have improved this boat to be more stable, faster and more manoeuvrable than the original Elite.

My profile:

I paddle three to four times a week
I owned a Fenn Elite for three years before upgrading to the Elite S
I paddle Sydney harbour which is flat to choppy with the occasional lines of swell to play around on.
I still consider myself a "middle of the pack" paddler.

The Fenn Elite S is more stable. Maybe 5%. maybe less but it is a noticeable improvement on the Elite. Bucket, lower bump, slightly wider in the stern??? Not sure but I don't fall out of this boat and have a new confidence in the bump that I never experienced in my old boat.

The up wind performance is better. A lower profile bow and improved stability has improved my speed into the wind. It maybe my improved confidence, but I love paddling this boat into the chop and into the wind.

Catching runners. Another 5% improvement. It just feels easier to catch runners and stay on them. Moving the cockpit forward has changed the downwind ability of this boat. I wonder if this has added to its stability??

A tighter turning circle is noticeable and the ability to steer the boat with your body weight makes it alot more fun to paddle down wind that the Elite.

Flat water performance. I suspect its a touch slower on the flat. I have no basis for this claim, however you don't get anything in this life for free. The gains in stability and down wind performance might give up some of its flat water speed. but again, its just a guess. Sydney harbour is rarely flat, so all you need is a little rebound of the head lands, a ferry wake or a bit of breeze and the improved stability will give you the advantage you were looking for over the higher end ski's.

I have paddled an Epic V10, and sure its stable but it feels low and dead in the water. The Elite S is a lively boat which is very quick to accelerate and easy to steer making it alot of fun to paddle.

Just my 2 cents worth.
Last edit: 9 years 1 month ago by NK.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Zivo

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 1 month ago #23355 by ElRicho
Replied by ElRicho on topic Fenn Elite S
Great review. What height/ weight are you. I have been on elite for 3 years too!

More
9 years 1 month ago #23356 by NK
Replied by NK on topic Fenn Elite S
ElRicho,

I am 6 ft and about 83 Kgs.

The first two years on my Elite were very wobbly. However after increasing my time on the water (3 to 4 times a week) the third year was alot better for speed and stability.

More
9 years 1 month ago #23364 by [email protected]
Replied by [email protected] on topic Fenn Elite S
I recently found out that the very latest version of the Elite S has a slightly lower footwell - which should make something of a difference to the stability of the boat.

I felt the S was already relatively stable, so I'd really like to have another go with the newer S.

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...

More
9 years 1 month ago #23388 by Richie
Replied by Richie on topic Fenn Elite S
Rob, are you saying the new Elite S has been modified already since its gone into production?

If so, do you know when the change was made (is it for new batches of Elite S going forward from now?)

Cheers

More
9 years 1 month ago #23432 by [email protected]
Replied by [email protected] on topic Fenn Elite S
Hey Richie,

According to Fenn Kayaks, it's safe to say that all Elite S boats manufactured in 2015 and onwards have the dropped footwell.

Cheers
Rob

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...

More
9 years 1 month ago #23446 by Nige
Replied by Nige on topic Fenn Elite S
Hi Rob, I don't understand how they could have dropped the footwell. Every Fenn I've ever owned has had the footwell as low as it can go, as seen by looking at the bailer holes, or am I missing something?

• photofr
  • Platinum Member
  • SURFSKI: K1 560M - 560x43.8 / K2 Viper - 650x56
More
9 years 1 month ago #23447 by photofr
Replied by photofr on topic Fenn Elite S
My Spark's footwell standing area is almost 2cm away from the hull.

Ludovic
(Brittany, France)

More
8 years 9 months ago #24038 by msw580
Replied by msw580 on topic Fenn Elite S
I've had a hybrid Elite S for a week now and I love it. Just a few observations...

My first week's training in Hobart has been night (or early morning) paddling which has made me a bit 'tippier' than I would in daylight, but the ski feels fast. (for background I've been recently using a Swordfish & a 43cm wide multisport kayak - time bandit).

The Elite S also seems to accelerate easily on small runs. I haven't been able to get out in any bigger water yet but I'm looking forward to it.

I've also noticed that it has a good turning circle around the buoys.

I really like this ski, and for the prices in Australia, it is great value.
The following user(s) said Thank You: agatha308

More
8 years 6 months ago #24580 by Oceanfun
Replied by Oceanfun on topic Fenn Elite S
Hi ,

Was wondering for some opinions on the elite s vs glide?

Iv been told the elite s is a little slower but guys like cory hill and dawid paddle this ski and they can can obviously paddle the glide if they chose.
Each ski has its strengths but be interested in feedback between the pair.

What's the flat water speed like on the elite s?

Cheers

More
8 years 4 months ago #25163 by fredrik
Replied by fredrik on topic Fenn Elite S
What is the price for a the different layups in South Africa?

Latest Forum Topics