Buying a Fenn Mako 6 (2008) in 2017?

More
6 years 6 months ago - 6 years 6 months ago #29950 by SurfskiEstonia
Good people of the forum!

Two years ago I asked You to advise me on buying a Nelo Ocean Ski. The response was mixed, but i did buy it and never regretted it, so thank you! Also the discouraging posts were correct, as I can judge in hindsight, so I've grown to trust the opinions here :)

Now I have an opportunity to buy a 2008 Fenn Mako 6 in carbon (under 13kg). It will cost me around a thousand bucks, which seems very reasonable. I want to get a ski for my paddling/non-paddling friends and also for myself for really heavy seas, but mostly to have other people in our club (good K1 guys) and beginners to experience sea in a ski.

My question is: Is the technology on the Mako 6 so old, that You wouldn't consider it now? By that I mean the way it acts on water, the ergonomics of the bucket, comfort etc. Or is it still something that can be used for pleasure without being uncomfortable?

I tried to read all the reviews and forum posts on here and the general attitude was that Mako 6 is not as good as the Elite and SL, but those are not on my menu at the moment. The ski is situated in the neighbouring country, so if I go there, I should have at least a strong intention to buy it :) All Your thoughts are really welcome!!

EDIT 1: I've read Rob's 2006 reviews several times, so my question is how does this ski compare to everything newer in 2017

EDIT 2: Guys, scrap that part about beginners. I just checked Wesley Echols' table: www.surfskiracing.org/2015/02/12724/ (or did I get something wrong?)
and it lists the Mako 6 in the unstable/fast corner :| Was not expecting that. So, lets make the question easier: Is the ergonomics and behaviour on flat and downwind still reasonable compared to newer skis or is it kinda obsolete?

Current: Carbonology Boost double, Jantex Gamma Mid
Previous: Nelo Ocean Ski L, Jantex Gamma Rio Large Minus
Last edit: 6 years 6 months ago by SurfskiEstonia.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 6 months ago #29951 by Fath2o
The Mako 6 is an elite ski, meaning unstable. My understanding is they are a bit squirrely and tend to broach easily. Performance is much improved with a deep surf rudder.
Good luck.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SurfskiEstonia

More
6 years 6 months ago - 6 years 6 months ago #29953 by SurfskiEstonia
Had to google the word broach :)

Is this broaching caused by the profile of the bow? Or is it something to do with the hull shape?

Current: Carbonology Boost double, Jantex Gamma Mid
Previous: Nelo Ocean Ski L, Jantex Gamma Rio Large Minus
Last edit: 6 years 6 months ago by SurfskiEstonia. Reason: spelling

More
6 years 6 months ago #29954 by wesley
Bucket is deep so make sure your remount is bomb proof. Most paddlers agree that at the crest of the wave their is a moment of unstability with the Mako 6 that takes getting use to. This is in addition to being an Elite or Advanced ski overall stability. Not sure I would put the SL in the same stability category with the Elite S. You would be better off saving that 1k and putting towards Elite S, Ion 3G, V12 2G. if you are looking for elite ski for downwind paddling.

Wesley Echols
SurfskiRacing.com
#1 in Surfski Reviews.

More
6 years 6 months ago #29958 by AR_convert

SurfskiEstonia wrote: I want to get a ski for my paddling/non-paddling friends and also for myself for really heavy seas, but mostly to have other people in our club (good K1 guys) and beginners to experience sea in a ski.

I had an opportunity to buy one when I first got into surf ski. I paddled it in about a 6 inch chop, fell out several times within 15 minutes.

So the answer to your above question is NO, its not the right ski for "non paddling friends or beginners".

It's no good telling you all the modern skis that are more stable (we could probably list around 50 of them).

Older elite skis are cheap for a reason, they aren't suitable for new paddlers and the people that can paddle them have moved on to better models, very similar to K1's really.

Of the older (and hence cheaper) skis to keep an eye out for this purpose in your part of the world keep an eye out for skis like
Fenn XT
Think Evo
Epic V10 sport
Custom Kayaks Horizon

Always looking for the next boat :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: SurfskiEstonia

More
6 years 6 months ago - 6 years 6 months ago #29961 by LakeMan
I say get it and then your friends will think you're an amazing athlete for being able to paddle such an incredible watercraft. :-)

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill
Last edit: 6 years 6 months ago by LakeMan.

Latest Forum Topics