Surf ski's for shorter paddlers

More
9 years 10 months ago #20439 by Westley
I am 169cm (5' 7") and weight 80kgs.

Today is the best day

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 10 months ago #20440 by Westley
The duct tape is pretty solid and just feels comfy. I bought a role of smooth duck tape which allows and encourages the rotation, the more 'scratched' duct tape stops the rotation - so go with the smooth finish. Ofcourse if you got a professional to do it they would do it in the same material as the seat - but it may cost more than the $6 for duct tape that I paid.

I used to have the footplate back right to the very last position now it is as in this photo...

Today is the best day
Attachments:

More
9 years 10 months ago #20442 by uk_exile
Possibly paddlers height vs weight ratio doesn’t actually make much difference ? For everyone all weight is not applied directly onto seat under spine as we all have legs and arm forwards.
But there’s not that much weight on feet, majority is onto seat. So centre of gravity for any person is certainly not out near knees, probably more likely directly under sternum, or a little bit in front of that. If that’s right, and I’ve not tested this in anyway, the CoG of tall vs short paddlers would only change by a few centimetres at most & compared to having 3 metres plus of hull front & behind would probably make bugger all difference to balance when floating. Although saying that perhaps my own drink bladder tests having 3 litres (3kg) under knees or behind seat disproves my wavering thoughts.

More
9 years 10 months ago #20579 by Midlifecrisis
After reading this thread I decided to try a little padding to bring my paddling position forward in my Stellar SEI. My SES feels about right as it came, but the SEI always felt like I was paddling uphill.

It's early days yet, and I'm still experimenting with the exact positioning and thickness of padding, but it certainly seems to have made a difference. The SEI now feels easier to get off the mark and easier to hold at speed.

At 180cm I wouldn't have called myself short, but I am light at 71kg.

I have absolutely no scientific proof (and no comparable GPS data yet), but at this stage it feels like an improvement for me. Read into that what you will.

More
9 years 10 months ago #20583 by Erhard Katzer
I'd recommend the Nelo 560 ski. I' also 1,80 m and 72 kg. It fits me perfect. But ithe loss of stability needs a little time to get used.

More
9 years 10 months ago #20589 by 1xsculler
I'm 6' 2" (188cm) with long legs and a SES or 560Ski fits me very well. If you want a ski for a shorter paddler the Nelo Oceanski in size M is your boat.

current skis: SES Ultra. sculling boats: Fluidesign Lwt, Wintech, Empacher.

Latest Forum Topics