Breaking News : Magnum P.I. wins Molokai !!!

More
9 years 1 month ago - 9 years 1 month ago #23571 by PaddleFaster
Was streaming a Magnum P.I. rerun marathon yesterday afternoon through last night on Netflix.

It was sometime after midnight; about twenty minutes or so from the time I chugged a stiff shot of Nyquil to try to get some sleep. I had just started to feel a bit rubbery when I got to Season 1, Episode 11. The sub-plot of the show was the running of the 1987, 30 mile Molokai "surfski" race...

Spitting out a mouthful of manly hot chocolate(no little marshmallows here)from laughter, I threw some Visine into the old eyes in an attempt to counteract the Nyquil's effects and proceeded to watch the episode with great excitement, interest and anticipation.

The actual term "surfski" was used in the show's episode at least 20 times. The one unedited flub was were Magnum's buddy Rick referred to the race as a "ski-surf" race...

Lots of shots of old skis lying on the beach. Magnum himself showed off his paddling technique with what looked like a cheap nylon bladed paddle, whilst he glided atop the water on what I think was a early model spec ski.

I don't want to spoil the drama and excitement of the episode for anyone else that wishes to see it , so I will stop here. But I will just say that the last clip of the show implies the end of the race, with Magnum heading into the beach in first position, paddling his awesome ski to certain victory!

Thomas Magnum, Winner 1987 Molokai!!! (laughing)
Last edit: 9 years 1 month ago by PaddleFaster.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ric, Fath2o, Skiwalker, mikatahiti

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 1 month ago #23586 by jagter
Some ski action from another episode

The following user(s) said Thank You: owenw, Watto, PaddleFaster, Fath2o, peteski

More
9 years 1 month ago #23587 by Skiwalker
I'm finding the history of the sport so fascinating - the development, pioneers and races in SA, Aus and Hawaii that paved the way and made this awesome sport accessible for beginners today. I'm new to surfski (6 months) and enjoy reading up on all I can find. I'll definitely look for that episode - thanks

1.Fenn XT
2.Think Evo 2
3. ...

More
9 years 1 month ago #23589 by Fath2o
Great stuff! Really enjoyed watching that.

I think some arrest warrants are going to have to be generated though.
No one in the video was wearing a PFD and Magnum wasn't wearing a leash. Absolute morale turpitude. :lol:

More
9 years 1 month ago #23591 by PaddleFaster

Fath2o wrote: I think some arrest warrants are going to have to be generated though.
No one in the video was wearing a PFD and Magnum wasn't wearing a leash. Absolute morale turpitude. :lol:

Fath too funny! Glad some others enjoyed the episode. I personally got a real kick out of it. It made my night when I watched it.

Jagter, that episode clip tied in perfectly. Thanks for putting it up.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Fath2o

More
9 years 1 month ago #23592 by PaddleFaster
My pleasure Skiwalker. Welcome aboard.

More
9 years 1 month ago - 9 years 1 month ago #23593 by jagter

Fath2o wrote: Great stuff! Really enjoyed watching that.

I think some arrest warrants are going to have to be generated though.

And that's if the fashion police don't get there first. How's those short shorts.
Last edit: 9 years 1 month ago by jagter.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Fath2o

More
9 years 1 month ago #23613 by PaddleFaster
Egads!

Season 4 : Episode 1 - Every paddlers worse nightmare. Magnum should have worn that leash.

More
9 years 1 month ago #23614 by Tecpartner
The episode in the embedded video is my freaking fantasy! Get dropped off just over the horizon, and come paddling in.

Nice footage of early paddlers.

And image! Magnum like a down winder with long rolling swells!

The footage of him getting out of the water after a hard paddle looked realistic enough. (Maybe a little longer than 6 miles for a guy who paddled Molokai.)

I'd rather be paddling....

Think EVO II
Epic V10S
Nelo 520
Epic V8

More
9 years 3 weeks ago #23709 by mikatahiti
When I was child in France, Magnum was my hero...I dream't to wake up every morning and go paddling in the lagoon like him...30 years later my dream came true and'I live now in Tahiti with my Fenn XT ... Life is beautifull... B)
Thank you for this post ^^

Latest Forum Topics