Anything resembling a Downwind run in the Northeast?

• MCImes
  • Visitor
6 years 10 months ago #28840 by MCImes
To anyone on the northern Atlantic coast of the US, is there any place that semi-consistently gets half way decent downwind conditions?

Specifically, I'm looking for spots along the coast of Connecticut, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, New Hampshire, or southern Maine. I'd love to find a spot similar to a mini millers run. I know the east coast of the USA doesn't get the awesome, consistent waves that SA / AU / NZ do, but anything coming even remotely close would make me smile. I'd be quite happy with good directional 2-5' waves following the shore line.

So, to those in the northeast, where are the best spots for downwinds or wave riding in general between Long Island and Maine?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 10 months ago #28841 by LakeMan
Hurricane Sandy in 2012 gave some great downwind runs.

Does New Hampshire have a coastline?

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill

More
6 years 10 months ago #28842 by wesley
Narragansett Bay East or West Passage, Newport RI. We have clocked our fastest times ever from North end Jamestown to Newport Bridge with Northly wind and current or Sakonnet River(really a small bay) in Portsmouth, RI on a good day! Newport is one of the sailing capitals for a reason!

Wesley Echols
SurfskiRacing.com
#1 in Surfski Reviews.

• MCImes
  • Visitor
6 years 10 months ago #28843 by MCImes
Thanks Wesley! I just visited Newport for work a month ago but will have to come back with my boat. I know right where you're talking about.

And lakeman, yes, New Hampshire has a tiny amount of shoreline between mass and Maine, only about 15 miles or so, but I thought it was worth including if there was a sweet little spot near Portsmouth

Keep the suggestions coming if anyone else knows of any other little spots

Thanks!

More
6 years 9 months ago #28885 by Bipwap
Consistency is definitely the problem in New England - both in terms of wind velocity and direction. Especially during the summer. Although we sometimes do have scheduled downwind races, it's really a crap-shoot as to getting what you hoped for.

If you have a strong southerly wind: Judith Point, RI to Jamestown, RI; Woods Hole, MA to Megansett Harbor; MA, and Kittery, ME to York, ME are good possibilities. For easterly wind: Gloucester, MA to Beverly, MA.

All of the endpoints of these runs are well-protected from wind and surf, with the exception of York. These are the preferred directions, but obviously they could be run in reverse as well (although if you miss Judith Point, you'll get one shot at Block Island before eventually ending up in the Caribbean).

Latest Forum Topics