Fastest ski for mostly flatwater/river races

More
12 years 3 weeks ago - 12 years 3 weeks ago #10510 by kajakman
Hi,
I have mostly raced with my Huki S1-X and T-Rex, and done very well but am wondering if one of the following skis might be even faster, specifically for flat water, not ocean where I know they would be tippier for sure:
Fenn Elite SL
Mako Elite
Stellar SES

I am very lean at 6 foot or 183cm & 153# or 69.5kg
I believe I would be more stable and less frictional hull resistance/wetted surface in smaller volume ski?

Cheers,

Tim
Last edit: 12 years 3 weeks ago by kajakman. Reason: mistake in spelling of ski model

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 3 weeks ago #10512 by Zivo
Hi Tim
I am 187cm tall and have a V10 a Nelo vanguish 11 sprint boat, a Nelo Sea Vanquish and have just purchased a Epic V12 ultra as I tried all the boats you mentioned as I also wanted a faster flat water boat and found the V12 that bit faster for me that is.
Cheers Nick.

More
12 years 2 weeks ago #10521 by heinvr
Sub 70kg is quite light for surfski. A smaller volume ski would definately suit you well.
Be sure to try the Carbonology-Sport Atom if there is one in your area. It is very fast, and a true low volume ski.

More
12 years 2 weeks ago - 12 years 2 weeks ago #10522 by mckengmsurfski
All 3 of the skis you mentioned would be pretty fast on flatwater, probably a bit faster than the two boats you mentioned.
If you're talking strictly flatwater and looking for low volume and fast, I'd agree with heinvr, take a look at an Atom. There's a women in our area who swears by hers and had no problem paddling her Atom 42 miles down the Mississippi River in winning the overall women's in the Phatwater Challenge last year. Most people seem to think it's the fastest flatwater ski out there.
Also, I'd consider checking into the Nelo Ocean Skis, particularly the size L based on your criteria. They are very fast, comfortable, well made, and have a great paddling position. I've owned a Nelo Ski for about a year and thanks to it my garage has dwindled from 3 skis to one as a found the other just sitting there.
Last edit: 12 years 2 weeks ago by mckengmsurfski. Reason: grammar

More
11 years 10 months ago #11448 by duncangroenewald

Zivo wrote: Hi Tim
I am 187cm tall and have a V10 a Nelo vanguish 11 sprint boat, a Nelo Sea Vanquish and have just purchased a Epic V12 ultra as I tried all the boats you mentioned as I also wanted a faster flat water boat and found the V12 that bit faster for me that is.
Cheers Nick.

WHat is the Sea Vanquish like ? I am looking for a fast light multisport boat that would handle grade 2 rapids or open water paddling (harbour or big lake).

More
11 years 10 months ago #11449 by AR_convert
Hi kajakman, I assume that the skis you listed are the ones you have access too?

If that's the case then the Stellar SES is a standout for a low volume ski for smaller paddlers.

If you can get hold of a Atom that's an even better small paddlers flat water ski.

Always looking for the next boat :)

More
11 years 10 months ago #11451 by Zivo
I find the Sea vanquish great I paddle this boat on a inlet system with a tidal current up to 4knots at times with lots of large gamefishing boats roaring around so there is lots of bumps that a K1 wont handle. I take it out on the ocean on calm days with a spray deck and it handles it fine. not out through the break thou this boat doesnt surf down waves at all. I havent done any paddling down rapids so no help there but being a K1 style of boat I find it tippy as it only weighs 8kg. if I go for a 20k paddle I do put some balast in it but thats only because my capabilities are limited. hope this helps as if you can stay in it it is fast.

More
11 years 10 months ago #11456 by AndrewN
Carbonology Atom. No question.

More
11 years 10 months ago #11457 by frijon
I reckon after this last weekend the Allwave CX would also be a sure bet for a fast ski.Sure it's 95% paddler and 5% ski but that ski is fast.I have paddled it once (on the flat)and it felt as fast as anything else I have paddled if not faster.What I find interesting looking at the photographs of Alicante is one can see that Van Gijsen is not a small fellow (80+kg?)When I paddles the ski it felt fine to me at 85kg +... it certainly did not seem to be asnall person ski yet I see that Alexa Cole has won races in it
I reckon it's a speed machine regardless..maybe right up to 90kg or more

Latest Forum Topics