New vajda ski

More
12 years 2 weeks ago #10956 by Rob1
New vajda ski was created by Rob1
I see on facebok vajda appear to be releasing a new ski, the hawx. However there website has not yet been updated with any details. Does anyone have any info about this ski or if it's similar to any other ski already on the market.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 2 weeks ago #10978 by JML
Replied by JML on topic Re: New vajda ski
The new ski is a top end model and no details are available at present.
Will update you as soon as we receive further info from the manufacturers.

More
12 years 2 weeks ago #10983 by Hiro
Replied by Hiro on topic Re: New vajda ski
April... 1st... Could the hawx be a hoax ?

More
12 years 2 weeks ago #10985 by JML
Pics were actually put on Facebook on 31st March but you never know these things do have a mind of their own at this the of the year.

More
12 years 2 weeks ago #11014 by jean pierre

More
12 years 2 weeks ago #11019 by brandt71

More
12 years 2 weeks ago - 12 years 2 weeks ago #11022 by Rightarmbad
Replied by Rightarmbad on topic Re: New vajda ski
clckable photos

Interesting seat.
Looks to have less rocker and a narrower catch area than the V10 copy first model.

Their text says they have repositioned the centre of gravity to enhance acceleration.

A V10 with the bucket moved forward?
Now I am interested.

Follow the path of the independent thinker. Expose your ideas to the dangers of controversy. Speak your mind and fear less the label of 'crackpot' than the stigma of conformity. And on issues that are important to you, stand up and be counted at any cost.--- Thomas J. Watson
Last edit: 12 years 2 weeks ago by Rightarmbad.

More
12 years 2 weeks ago #11027 by JML
You can now download all of the specs and information on the new Vadja Hawx from www.fitnesspaddlers.com.au - follow the Vadja link to the Vadja Hawx Specs PDF.

More
12 years 2 weeks ago #11028 by Kayaker Greg
Replied by Kayaker Greg on topic Re: New vajda ski
The seat is shaped similar to how many of us have to shape our seat pads for comfort and reduce rubbing.

More
12 years 2 weeks ago #11035 by owenfromwales
Replied by owenfromwales on topic Re: New vajda ski
Compared to the Orca, the Vajda site says that it`s 7 cm shorter and 1.5cm wider at 43.5cm. I wonder if they`re aiming at a rough water boat for elites / flat water boat for intermediates?

189cm 90~100kg
Present skis:
2017 Stellar SEI 2G
1993 Gaisford Spec Ski
1980s Pratt Spec Ski
1980s UK Surf Skis Ocean Razor
Previous
1980s UK Surf Skis Ocean Razor X 3
1987 Kevlar Chalupsky (Hummel) (Welsh copy!)
1988 Kevlar Double Chalupsky
1992 Hammerhead spec
2000 Fenn copy

More
12 years 2 weeks ago #11036 by Rightarmbad

Follow the path of the independent thinker. Expose your ideas to the dangers of controversy. Speak your mind and fear less the label of 'crackpot' than the stigma of conformity. And on issues that are important to you, stand up and be counted at any cost.--- Thomas J. Watson

More
11 years 11 months ago #11365 by flyingriverdog
Replied by flyingriverdog on topic Re: New vajda ski
No Hoax on the Hawx. Production is gearing up. Looks like South Carolina (USA)is where the worlds first Hawx has landed. Delightfully odd? Check out eliteoceansports dot com This is apparantly a whole new boat. Mark says they have been paddling it all week (probably on the water now). So far all reports are of a great new ski. Sounds really promising. Cliff Roach

• fanginhoon
  • Visitor
11 years 11 months ago #11367 by fanginhoon
Replied by fanginhoon on topic Re: New vajda ski
Like to know some more info on the seat width of the hawx & how much wider it is than the orca?

I recently purchased the Orca to get back into paddling after a 20+year break (basically because I have a similar build (when fit)to the reviewer on surfski.info) and wanted the widest seat I could get into in a top end ski. Unfortunately I've found the orca seat still uncomfortably narrow due to my hips not fitting into the seat and I've had to resort in putting a 50mm EVA foam pad in the seat so my backside isn't suspended (but not ideal as it obviously compromises stability). This has been OK for short 10K downwind paddles cause you move around but not so good for the longer flat-water stuff.

So I'm also interested in any feedback on the seat width/comfort and how the ski paddles. Any word on when it will be in Oz?

More
11 years 11 months ago - 11 years 11 months ago #11388 by mckengmsurfski
Replied by mckengmsurfski on topic Re: New vajda ski
Hi all,
Yes, I've been fortunate enough to get to spend the past week paddling the Vajda Hawx Prototype. We (www.eliteoceansports.com) will be representing Vajda with this ski as well as their K1 and Touring line up here in the USA. Attached are my initial impressions of the ski and a little background regarding my paddling level and experience with other skis:

I'm in my early 40's, about 1.83 meters tall, and weigh around 80kg. I'm an intermediate paddler who regularly finishes in the first 1/3 of the races I enter but is in no danger of winning anything. I prefer my time spent paddling runners in the ocean to racing any day. Skis that I have previously owned and paddled for an extended period of time (at least 6 months) include the following: Custom Kayaks Synergy Hybrid, Honcho Guevara, Epic V12 Ultra, Epic V10 Sport, Nelo Ocean Vintage Ski (WWR layup). Additionally I've tried at least briefly the following skis: Red7 Surf 70 Pro (owned briefly and paddled maybe 15 times), Fenn Elite Carbon, Stellar SES, Fenn Mako XT, Custom Kayaks Horizons, Huki S1-X Special.

My first paddle in the ski went something like this:
First thing I did with the ski was adjust the pedal length and angle to my liking and ensure that the rudder was straight. I was able to do this on the beach in 2 minutes with no tools thanks to the pedals and spectra line rudder set up. Additionally, I found the pedals and footplate to be stiff and sturdy with very little flex. It was nice to see that there was plenty of room for further extension of the footplate (I had 4 clicks remaining), so this ski could possibly be suitable for paddlers up to 1.93m tall.
I attached my leash to the dedicated leash anchor and pushed off into my local inlet that leads out thru the breakers into the Atlantic Ocean.
The bucket was very comfortable for me right away, the position was excellent with my backside higher than my feet, the catch nice and narrow, and the initial stability was excellent considering the decent pace I was able to generate right from the start. I very much like the cut out behind the seat that keeps the lower back from rubbing during rotation while the seat has enough contact to remain secure and feel in touch with the ski. The feel and look of the bucket cut out mimics a high-back sprint boat seat. Of course, bucket fit and feel is a very personal thing, but for me this one seemed to work well.
I was so comfortable right away that instead of getting to know the ski on the flat I went straight out through the breakers into the Atlantic.
Once in the ocean I tried the ski in variety of conditions. Into the waves and chop the ski was solid and I was able to maintain a good stroke and rotation. I surfed some small waves into shore and found that the ski caught the waves readily and seemed to move across them very well with the volume up front helping the nose stay up. I moved out into the open ocean approximately 1 - 1.5km off shore and found that the ski picked up and held small runners very well. In a further test of the ski's stability I took it into a shipping channel that produces some solid 1-1.5 meter waves and paddled across the channel perpendicular to the breaking swell. The waves broke over the side of the bow and cockpit but at no time did the ski seem unmanageable or in serious peril of capsizing. In all, I paddled approximately 13km in the ocean on the Hawx the first time in it and was very impressed with how well it managed a wide variety of conditions. At no time did a feel uncomfortable or in a situation where I was having to work terribly hard to stay upright and the ski felt fast and capable in most conditions, picking up small runners and holding them well. After I finished my ocean paddle, I was amazed at how fresh I felt and how comfortable the ski had been for me.
Immediately after my ocean paddle, I loaded the ski and took it to a small lake with some canals on which I have a 3.33km loop that I regularly paddle in training to compare flatwater speed with that of my previous skis. I found that over the 2 laps I was able to match my best times in my Nelo ski (the ski I've generally recorded my fastest times in and which is on par with my previous Epic V12 in my average paddling hands and skills).

Since that day, I've had the ski out a few more times in a variety of conditions, repeated my lake course test and raced in it over the weekend. It has performed well and I continue to be comfortable in it. My lake course laps again equaled my typical time I produce in my Nelo. I will say that by the seat of my pants I feel as if the ski may be a shade slower than my Nelo but my times have not born that out. The final verdict on speed remains out for me but my relatively controlled flat water times have been encouraging. Still, even if it is a shade slower I would say any sort of conditions and the favor would swing to the Vajda Hawx b/c of the better stability. Vajda asked us what we wanted to see in a ski prior to designing it and we asked for a ski aimed at the true intermediate paddler, and I think the level of stability it provides coupled with some nice manners in ocean conditions fit this description.
Most comment right away on how well the ski appears to be constructed, the high quality of the fit and finish, which is among the best, if not the best, that I've seen. It is a beautiful ski, very solid and stiff, and it just looks and feels well made. All true to Vajda's reputation for producing very well made boats.

I have Swordfish in my garage this week and hope to get out in it this week to get a comparison, as I've not yet paddled one for more than a brief moment.

Vajda has begun their initial production run and we look forward to having skis in stock soon. Feel free to contact us for more details.
Last edit: 11 years 11 months ago by mckengmsurfski.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Scode

More
11 years 11 months ago #11402 by Rightarmbad
Interesting.
After some extended testing, I found the Nelo XXL to be be simply the fastest ski I have ever sat in.
High seat, virtually no secondary stability, but speed is unmatched by anything I have sat in.
I use my paddle a full 7cm longer in it than the V10.

How does the Hawk's balance of the primary and secondary compare to say a V12?
Or to it's sister boat the Orca?

The Nelo is wider than my V10, but oh so much less secondary. (or maybe it comes in so late that it scares me to try and find it, it never tipped me out, but I continually thought it would in sideways chop)
It's not bad on the primary though.

If the Hawk can strike a balance between my V10 and the Nelo, I want one. Especially if it has the speed.

More
11 years 11 months ago #11411 by AR_convert
Replied by AR_convert on topic Re: New vajda ski
Thanks for the opinion pieces on the Hawkz and Nelo.

I take it RAB that you don't think you could make the speed work for you once some chop was thrown into the equation?

If you have yet to decide on another ski (like me) the Carbonology "flash" should only be a few weeks away from arriving now.

Always looking for the next boat :)

More
11 years 11 months ago #11412 by Rightarmbad
The speed worked for me, despite believing I may fall off at any moment, the GPS still showed a significant speed improvement, even in the worst direct side on stuff that I believed that I would surely be slower.

I just don't know if my brain could cope with the stress for 20km, I might just meltdown.

I have been sick for a couple of weeks and only got back in the ski and went out this afternoon.
Had a ball and it seems that my body has finally got to the point where I can not paddle and still react instincively when I do get back in the boat.

I don't think that I could ever get proficient enough to be able to do that with the Nelo, maybe I could, but right now the Nelo to me is a boat I would love to have as part of my stable, but certainly not my only ski.

I still may get it just for it's flat water worthyness.
I have been toying with the idea of grabbing a K1, but this would fill that slot plus still allow me to try and get used to it for trickier conditions and allow me to feel like god in easier stuff.

I believe it would certainly make me a better paddler.
The wheels are turning.

My repaired V10 is now sporting many cracks and I don't know what it's lifespan will be.
Having both boats would be great, but I may need to replace the V10 in the near future, and to keep the Nelo then puts me into a purchase of two boats, not sure how much I want to spend on this sport.

I mean, I can still have a ton of fun just picking up second hand skis for $2000 and trashing them with no guilt.
I have a bad habit of heading out in stuff that everybody shakes their head at, so maybe some disposable boats would be good.

All depends in how paddling slots into my overall lifestyle.

More
11 years 11 months ago #11415 by duncangroenewald
Replied by duncangroenewald on topic Re: New vajda ski
Try an Epic V12 - it has a wide seat, I move around too much and found the Orca a nice snug fit, and much the same speed. V12 probably quicker but Orca turns much better. Orca is probably a bit more stable.

• fanginhoon
  • Visitor
11 years 11 months ago #11416 by fanginhoon
Replied by fanginhoon on topic Re: New vajda ski
mckengmsurfski, have you still got the Hawx? If so could you please measure the inside seat width at the top so that I can compare it to the Orca. The Orca appears to be one of the narrowest skis @ 42cm overall with a seat width of 38cm. From the spec the Hawx is wider overall 43.5cm. Be interested to see if Vadja has used the same seat mould in the Hawx as the Orca? The Epic V12 inside seat width is 39.5cm.

More
11 years 11 months ago #11419 by mckengmsurfski
Replied by mckengmsurfski on topic Re: New vajda ski
I'll get a measurement for you.
That said, this is a prototype, not the finished product. We've discussed changes to the ski with Vajda and they are going to be updating the design further before beginning production. Currently I don't have a specific timeline for completion of the final design and initial production run.

Latest Forum Topics