New ski...Vault???

More
11 years 11 months ago - 11 years 11 months ago #11453 by JonathanC
New ski...Vault??? was created by JonathanC
I have a V10 sport in Club construction and I'm looking for a second ski so I can paddle with my son. Only been paddling skis 6 months, 5'8" 68kg 53 yo, pretty experienced down winding on SUP and mainly want the new ski for down winding in Melbourne Port Phillip Bay that gets steep close wind swell. Still fall out of the V10 occasionally if its very choppy and messy. My son is 6' and weighs less than I do so
we're both very light, he is less experienced than I am but at 18 and fit on a steep learning curve!
Thinking the shorter Carbonology Vault suits the conditions and may be low enough volume to suit our weights. Looking at the glass/carbon vacuum construction, seems pretty good value for the weight and construction reputation.
I've read everything I can get my hands on, thought the Stellar SES might be a good option but I'm pretty sure it's too big a jump down in stability.
Anything else I should be looking at? Thanks, Jonathan
Last edit: 11 years 11 months ago by JonathanC.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 11 months ago #11454 by thebigadski
Replied by thebigadski on topic Re: New ski...Vault???
You MUST try out the Think EZE & EVO ii.

The EZE especially!

Short and manouverable, and loves to chase runs! - its no slouch!

In VIC contact these guys:

Luke Haines

or

Grant Suckling

via here:

www.thinkkayak.com.au/dealers-3/

Test as many boast as you can !!

More
11 years 11 months ago #11455 by AndrewN
Replied by AndrewN on topic Re: New ski...Vault???
I love the Vault - stable but may initially feel slightly twitchy but it is this responsiveness that allows it to be so good for intermediate even up to top level guys.

Carbonology's build quality is top notch.

I've had an Atom here in Durban (big surf) for 2 years and it's still solid.

More
11 years 11 months ago #11458 by AR_convert
Replied by AR_convert on topic Re: New ski...Vault???
The hybrid lay-up is a great mix, stiff and light yet able to take a knock, after 16 months mine is still in great condition.

There is no discernible change from primary to secondary stability in the ski, it does roll a bit but everything about the way it handles is intuitive, there are no surprises and it actually gets better in big conditions, when water comes up the sides of the ski you actually feel more stable. Even though I am shopping for an elite level ski I am going to hold on to the vault, it's a security blanket for me in big conditions that the elite level ski may scare me Uin :)

You are right about the short length giving it great surfing ability in shallower water chop, I do most of my training in Cockburn sound, an area of water protected from the Indian ocean swells by Garden island and a causeway, having lived in Melbourne I think it would generate similar conditions. I really enjoy the vault in the short sharp stuff, it's enjoyable in the big downwind too but you have to really pilot the ski well to keep it moving between the longer swells and being low volume not bury it into waves in front.

It's no slouch either, another paddler here in WA won a 23km flat water event against some good competition in elite level skis paddling a glass Vault!

Always looking for the next boat :)

More
11 years 11 months ago - 11 years 11 months ago #11460 by Kocho
Replied by Kocho on topic Re: New ski...Vault???
The Evo II will probably be abetter fit for your bottoms (its seat is a bit narrower than the narrow-seat version of the V10 Sport). That said, after paddlnig both the Evo II and the Sport in the same price-range layup (performance for the Sport, fiberglass for the Evo), I and a buddy of mine found the sport a bit more stable and reassuring. Not a huge difference but definitely there. We are both a bit heavier than you, at the 70-85 kilo range, so that might have something to do with it. There was also considerable difference in weight with my V10S at under around 28lb with the Evo II about 35lb. The Sport was also stiffer on and off the water (better built).
Last edit: 11 years 11 months ago by Kocho.

More
11 years 11 months ago - 11 years 11 months ago #11463 by JonathanC
Replied by JonathanC on topic Re: New ski...Vault???
Thanks for the replies, I guess the other logical option is the Fenn Swordfish but I'm wary of the vacuum glass model because of the comments on this forum about build quality, the carbon is more than I want to spend.

Just hate problems with construction and thats part of the appeal of the Carbonology product, so much good feedback from everything I've read regarding the quality and finish.

I've been really happy with the quality of the V10S by the way, excellent finish and feels solid on and off the water, can't ever imagine selling it, great boat for getting family and friends into the sport.
Last edit: 11 years 11 months ago by JonathanC.

• hudE
  • Visitor
11 years 11 months ago #11496 by hudE
Replied by hudE on topic Re: New ski...Vault???
Lots of options for sure. Paddled a V10sport, Vault, Evo II and a V10 today as part of a shopping spree.
The vault felt very fast and responsive but as mentioned a lttle twitchy, this may be just a time thing but god that seat is deep and narrow. Ive only got a little arse and it was tight. Wouldnt want to try and remount in a big sea. Evo II in glass was heavy to carry on land but in the water was fast and picked up the runners easier than the other three. Also had a tight fit which was kind of reassuring once I got the leg length sorted and the hump out fom under my legs. V10 was good and stable but conditions were no test as on harbour with 20knot wind. Definitely need to try on a rougher day. V10Sport has a wider and shallower seat but was a very stable boat. Given its reputation it may be agood option for rougher or bigger seas. It definitely pays to test paddle on your regular water to get the best comparison thats for sure. Im 5"11 and just under 90kg.

More
11 years 11 months ago #11497 by AR_convert
Replied by AR_convert on topic Re: New ski...Vault???
Hey hudE, if these are the skis you are thinking of I would be going the Think Evo II, I reckon it's the best bet for someone with some stability but not ready for an elite ski. If one were around when I was looking I would have got one over the V10 sport.

The Vault is a true intermediate to elite ski, it feels like an elite ski on the flat with a few twitches but it has better secondary in the rough stuff, which is where it shines, that's why so many stories from reviewers and race results show the Vault right up there with the best. Just check the Carbonology facebook page to see all the races wins and podiums it has has over elite level skis.

It really is splitting hairs when it comes to this ski, in fact if you put someone with a big engine in the Evo II or V10 sport they will beat most local paddlers in races, as you say it comes down to how you feel in a ski.

Don't discount the Vault for remounting, yes I initially had problems when in big conditions (3-4m swell, 20+ knot winds), but could get back in within a few attempts, but after a few months I could get back in first time every time. The deep bucket, keeps the ski very dry in rough stuff and actually makes you feel very steady in really big conditions.

The only reason I am looking at an elite ski is that on the dead flat it feels like it is giving away (perhaps) about .2km/hr, doesn't sound much until you are racing other elite skis over marathon distances in flat water.

On rough stuff that hull speed can quickly become, oh my God how do I stay upright, as the more steady skis paddle away from you :whistle:

Always looking for the next boat :)

Latest Forum Topics