Is surfski or K1 faster?

More
9 years 7 months ago #21483 by Joseph
Replied by Joseph on topic Re: Is surfski or K1 faster?
G' Day To All,

Seems kind of pointless what is Faster a K-1 or Ski? like what is nicer to eat a Apple or Orange a bit diff are they not? you may drive a Surf Ski or a K-1 or by the by a 8 man scull that can do + or - 14 m.p.h. a Single Scull would come in around 8/9 on the long hall something few if any Ski's can hold for very long, in a short sprint I do not know what would beat a one person K-1 driving it well on the flat.
Now we all have done + or - a bit on a flat water sprint on a ski for a few yards 9 m.p.h. but no one is going to do that for more than a few boat lengths or at least no one we know. I have had Racing type Kayaks that I have been faster on than any Ski in some conditions but not the norm. I would feel the Surf Ski big thing would be with No faster paddle craft is on a run with a Good driver, I know we have been clocked + 20 with a Police Radar gun on the Gulf on the right conditions, the Norm for most down wind runs here would be 8 to 15 m.p.h. living in the real world.
People who like the K-1 feel at Sea may enjoy the NELO Viper 55 17' X 22" behind the bucket as I use on the Gulf and I pad 1/2" on smaller and some large run's it has a K-1 trainer hull with a Surf Ski deck the only change needed for slop and chop is a 9" rudder. I just sold my 28lb one and have a 26lb one.[ this Ski is not a Flat water racer but great on runs if you know what you are doing ]

Cheers be safe Joseph

Joseph
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• photofr
  • Platinum Member
  • SURFSKI: K1 560M - 560x43.8 / K2 Viper - 650x56
More
9 years 7 months ago #21484 by photofr
Replied by photofr on topic Is surfski or K1 faster?
It's all relative though… because the Nelo Viper 55 (while a very fun boat) is considered to be a log in the "real world". For pure downwind sensations, we could point out at least 7 other skis that are going to be a lot faster - faster in small DW and much faster in huge DW conditions (take the Fenn Spark for instance).

For flat water, the V14 or the Fenn Elite SL are way faster that the slogish Viper 55.

It's been 18 years since I have ONLY dreamt of having a surfski deck on a K1 Hull. Who ever makes one should simply make it at least 19 feet (note: I really don't care about rules, but very much attentive to pure enjoyment)

Ludovic
(Brittany, France)

More
9 years 7 months ago #21485 by Joseph
Replied by Joseph on topic Is surfski or K1 faster?
A Log in the real world DA! did you read what I put out there Ludovic? have you paddle a Viper 55 on a Run? And were do we say this is a flat water Racing Ski? some one said it would be nice to have a longer k-1 with a surf ski deck and as far as I know this would be it. or a Racing Ski at all it was to be a K-1 trainer and a new be boat to get folks onto a surf ski.
why would you pick two 21'x17" + or - open water racing Ski's and a 17'trainer do you feel they be the Same? like an Apple and an Orange because that is what they are, on the Gulf of Mexico a 17.18.and 19' ski for most seem to work better on our steep short Chop and slop, we have little to no Surf Ski racing here I do know on a run it is as fast as most of the faster racing ski's we paddle and better than some on a windy choppy day to have fun on and fun is what we look for. I have a 19' Fenn LS that I would also find great fun to do runs on and a spec ski that will also go well to weather. Being older and paddling Surf Ski's for the past 24 years my speed on any thing is slower. I look today for comfort and a Safe ski to use on fun days. Lighten up man go have a Pt.

Cheers Joseph

Joseph

• photofr
  • Platinum Member
  • SURFSKI: K1 560M - 560x43.8 / K2 Viper - 650x56
More
9 years 7 months ago #21489 by photofr
Replied by photofr on topic Is surfski or K1 faster?
I am so sorry Joseph - I didn't mean to offend you so deeply :)
In time, I hope you can forgive me for having given my opinion.
My Grand Mother did tell me (many a times) to keep my mouth shut. Don't mind me: I'll just go paddling some more.

Ludovic
(Brittany, France)

Latest Forum Topics