Epic V 14 Speed check?

More
11 years 1 month ago #15703 by Vector
Hello around the globe :)
I`m just thinking to buy a new ski vor flatwater training and racing. What i read about the new Epic V 14 looks very interesting to me.In the monent i´m using a Stellar SE which is not a bad boat ,but i could be a bit faster and more ergonomic(?). Has anybody done some test runs with the V 14 and can tell me a bit about that kayak? Here in Europe its brand new ,and nobody has expereance with surfskis far away from the coast.
Hope to see thome comments, and many greetings from Germany !

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 1 month ago #15707 by [email protected]
The V14 is very new (released late last year and raced for the first time at the Dragon Run in Hong Kong), so there won't be much comment available yet I don't think.

I paddled one in Hong Kong on fairly choppy water near Stanley. All I can really say is that although it felt very comfortable and felt like a fast boat, it was honestly beyond my ability in the conditions! I didn't fall off, but I felt very tippy.

Here's a thread that has a few comments from guys in Australia who have the boat:

www.surfski.info/forum/20-epic/14977-new-epic-v14.html#14985

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...

More
11 years 1 month ago #15721 by duncangroenewald
I just did a 2 x 4km time trial in a V14 Ultra this morning. Attached is a table providing a comparison over the same course in similar conditions, in V12, Fenn Elite and SharpSki.

The V14 is light and fast but felt very tippy to me, even on the flat conditions (glassy), so its not for the faint hearted. Outstanding construction and finish though.
Attachments:

More
11 years 1 month ago #15722 by owenfromwales
Hi Vector,
If you`re in Germany, then perhaps you should have a chat with Thomas Zachert at Wetiz. He has lots of surfskis in Southern Germany and he is a very good chap! I`m not sure if he has any Epic skis or not, but he`s a very good contact to have.
www.wetiz.eu/de/
Happy paddling,
Owen

189cm 90~100kg
Present skis:
2017 Stellar SEI 2G
1993 Gaisford Spec Ski
1980s Pratt Spec Ski
1980s UK Surf Skis Ocean Razor
Previous
1980s UK Surf Skis Ocean Razor X 3
1987 Kevlar Chalupsky (Hummel) (Welsh copy!)
1988 Kevlar Double Chalupsky
1992 Hammerhead spec
2000 Fenn copy

More
11 years 1 month ago #15723 by AR_convert

duncangroenewald wrote: I just did a 2 x 4km time trial in a V14 Ultra this morning. Attached is a table providing a comparison over the same course in similar conditions, in V12, Fenn Elite and SharpSki.

Great that you posted this up for us!

Where did you paddle the ski's, river, lake, ocean?

I ask because in my experience unless I paddle two skis one after the other on the same section of water the tide and conditions do play a big part in how fast the ski goes.

I am still trying to get hold of the V14 for an extended paddle to see how it stacks up for us marathon flat water paddlers.

Always looking for the next boat :)

More
11 years 1 month ago #15724 by duncangroenewald

AR_convert wrote:

duncangroenewald wrote: I just did a 2 x 4km time trial in a V14 Ultra this morning. Attached is a table providing a comparison over the same course in similar conditions, in V12, Fenn Elite and SharpSki.

Great that you posted this up for us!

Where did you paddle the ski's, river, lake, ocean?

I ask because in my experience unless I paddle two skis one after the other on the same section of water the tide and conditions do play a big part in how fast the ski goes.

I am still trying to get hold of the V14 for an extended paddle to see how it stacks up for us marathon flat water paddlers.

My pleasure :-)

Location Sandridge, Port Phillip Bay, glassy flat conditions, no tide or current or anything - basically the same conditions for all sessions. Obviously make some allowance for differences in the paddlers performance. Probably perfect for flat water marathon for bigger/heavier folks.

More
11 years 1 month ago #15725 by Rob1
Replied by Rob1 on topic Re: Epic V 14 Speed check?
AR,
Have you paddled the elite glide yet? If so what's your opinion.

More
11 years 1 month ago #15726 by AR_convert
Rob1, no, the first couple to arrive in Perth were snapped up and I have just been made aware of more arriving with Ash Nesbit from Ocean Paddler so hopefully soon.

Sorry Duncan, but anywhere in the Ocean has some current, otherwise there would be no tidal movement. When you are talking .1 to .4 km/hr differences there are a lot of variable factors and the more variables you can remove from the equation the better. I have agonised over how to best compare one ski with another and as I said, the best I could come up with is to do it at the same time, same place, try to standardise the heart rate you are working at to prevent effort differences which may come with stability differences.

I live 200m from a beach which is in a sound, so sheltered from wind and swell and there is no noticeable current, but in the years I've been paddling backwards and forwards along there I know that rarely are two days the same.

Maybe you can recruit some of your paddling buddies to get together and you all do efforts in the boats on the same day, same stretch of water, same direction, consistent effort (HR) and see what you come up with. Looks from the peak adventure facebook page like you guys have a good following of ski paddlers down that way?!

I have the State Marathon titles next weekend and the National titles 2 weeks after that so I am pretty busy with that training but hope to get time in the Glide and V14 shortly after. I have also heard of another ski being developed locally that I am trying to learn more about which could be interesting.

Always looking for the next boat :)

Latest Forum Topics