Chafing

More
10 years 9 months ago #17535 by TaffyMick
Replied by TaffyMick on topic Re: Chafing
Not me Zach... Definitely will not be having a "Crack" at that one! :S

Stellar SEI, Fenn Bluefin S, Sladecraft Comet Long Rec & Vajda K1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 9 months ago #17538 by gbowd3
Replied by gbowd3 on topic Re: Chafing
Newbflat, that's just a nice way of saying that my ass is too big. Guys, I think I'm gonna agree to disagree. Break those foot-rests ! :)

More
10 years 9 months ago #17567 by keithnix
Replied by keithnix on topic Re: Chafing
Michael try a product called Desitin. You can get it from your chemist. It will last even for a very long paddle and will help you to heal without missing any sessions. Be sure not to get it on your hands or paddle.

More
10 years 9 months ago #17585 by M.v.E.
Replied by M.v.E. on topic Re: Chafing
On my last training session I tried to remember the advice from some of you to rotate in place instead of pressing my backside against the bucket when pushing the leg forward and I have to say it worked quite well. The chafing was not so bad even though I was still sore from the last session. The footstrap is also very helpfull in that matter. Coming from a touring background my paddling technique still needs some refinement I guess.

Greetings

Michael

Current Ski: Nelo 550 L
Previous Skis: Stellar SR 1. Gen. / Stellar SEI 1. Gen. / Stellar SR 2. Gen.

More
10 years 8 months ago #18027 by Kayaker Greg
Replied by Kayaker Greg on topic Chafing
Remembered this thread watching video this so thought I would share it here.

More
10 years 8 months ago #18028 by Kocho
Replied by Kocho on topic Chafing
Thanks for sharing the video! It's interesting to see how little his arms actually move relative to his torso. I know, off topick, but worth observing. While in a surf ski I can't get nearly as much rotation and leg drive, still, it is usually something else other than my arms hurting after a hard session on the water.

• jamesb
  • Visitor
10 years 8 months ago #18031 by jamesb
Replied by jamesb on topic Chafing
I paddle a ski with a very comfortable bucket but i also suffer from rubbing periodically, only on the freshwater river interestingly. I recently bought a pair of BSC paddling shorts from Stew at Think Kayaks. They are very comfortable, like skins but have no seem at the crucial rub point and the entire backside section has a one or two mil section sewn into them. $95 aud and i bought the large for my 36' (92cm) gith. I paddle a Think but that is the extent of my association with them so just a consumers recommendation.

Happy paddling.

More
10 years 7 months ago #18077 by Stew
Replied by Stew on topic Chafing
Thanks James, great to hear the shorts are working well for you.

I teamed up with BSc, and released these compression padded shorts a few weeks ago through my online store. I've used My Kayak Coach padded shorts until now, but they're no longer available, so I needed something new. They've worked out really popular.
Attachments:

More
10 years 7 months ago #18079 by YBA/Jim Murray
Replied by YBA/Jim Murray on topic Chafing
For those not down under, Heather Mcnie Paddling Gear
users.openface.ca/~paddle/gear.htm

More
6 years 9 months ago #29189 by wintermutt
Replied by wintermutt on topic Chafing
Found an alternate solution. Triathlon suits with a pocket sewn in the middle of the low back seem to be working well for me. Wrestling singlets are cheaper and have no pad but never have zippers or back pockets. The pads on triathlon singlets are usually very thin. Another solution pointed out to me by an Olympic Gold Medalist who teaches was to take a narrow strip of that grey material they use to shape kayak seats and glue that onto the upper rim of the ski seat. BTW most of the solutions offered here work to some extent , and if you combine all of them even with a bad seat design and a very long paddle you might be OK.

Latest Forum Topics