Is my Stellar SES considered tippy

More
10 years 9 months ago #17608 by wannagofast
I have a Stellar SES. Bought it do to low hump. My V10 prevented my 30"inseem legs from straightening. I love that aspect of the SES. I don't have any others ski around to compare with except Glass Mako XT.
is the Huki s-1x and the S-1X spec more stable? Jude said he could make a ski for me with a lower hump. That's cool, but is the huki going to be way more stable and increase my fun and speed in the bigger water? The SES is the narrowest Ski on mkt I believe. 16.5ish.
Isnt the Epic V 14. 16.9 width.

I did paddle a Huki S-1R. Now that's stable and moves along fine. In big water. Does the S-1R really out perform the HPK skis in rougher water. I have minimal experience. only boat chop to contend with.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• grasshopper
  • Visitor
10 years 9 months ago #17609 by grasshopper
Replied by grasshopper on topic Is my Stellar SES considered tippy
I've never tried the S1X to compare but Wesley's chart www.surfskiracing.com/index.htm has them as similar stability to the SES

More
10 years 9 months ago #17611 by wannagofast
Thanks. Hope to hear from someone who has paddled the ses in rough stuff.

• greggreene2
  • Visitor
10 years 9 months ago #17614 by greggreene2
Replied by greggreene2 on topic Is my Stellar SES considered tippy
Jude's Huki's are incredible skis and made with care in the USA. I have had an S1X plus the old and new version S1X Specials. The new S1X Special is my favorite ski yet. It is fast, stable, surfs even better than the earlier models. It has a very low hump that Jude could customize even lower if you would like. I have paddled the SES which is stable compared to the Think UNO at approximately the same width, but if you're looking for more confidence in big water the Huki is awesome. For the US Surfski Champs I rented the Huki S1-R as it was my first time paddling in the ocean and I was amazed at how well it handled confused conditions and was a joy to surf.

More
10 years 9 months ago #17619 by Kayaker Greg
I have an SES and its a little hard to answer in black and white, is the SES a stable ski in the rough stuff? I know other paddlers who are quite comfortable in their SES where as I would rather be in another ski at the time, however, I struggle in the SES more in the rolling glassy type conditions where the secondary stability doesn't kick in, once it roughs up a bit and water is coming further up the hull I'm more happy, although I'm more comfortable in my SEL and Swordfish in most conditions as to be expected, they are wider and more stable skis.

None of the other skis fit me as well as the SES does however and its probably my favourite ski which I suspect I will own the longest out of the three skis I have.

More
10 years 9 months ago #17623 by bobmoffatt
Totally agree with KG, once it gets a little choppy the SES is very well mannered, the glassy days are what the SR is for !

Past skis,Spirit Racing ski,Singer SLSA ski, Davenwood Eradicator, Custom Kayaks ICON, Think EVO, Stellar SR excel...current skis Stellar SES advantage, Stellar SEI excel

More
10 years 9 months ago #17624 by RedBack
I too have a Stellar SES and find it remarkably stable for its width. Indeed in very rough conditions I actually find it more stable than even a Spec Ski.

Like Greg though, I find its balance to be "different" in rolling glassy conditions, but I suspect that has more to do with human perception than anything inherent in its design.

I also find it more stable than both the Fenn XT and the old Epic V10, - though roughly the same as the new V10.

As a small(ish) paddler, the SES fits me like a glove and is far and away the most comfortable ski I've paddled.

It will be while before I trade it for anything else.

More
10 years 9 months ago #17626 by Bill L
I have been paddling an SES for about 2 years and it is my "go to" ski for “big” conditions (around here, ocean seas 5 feet and higher). The tippiness originally felt was lesser primary stability that manifests itself when you are stationary or moving very slow (who does that in a ski?) that really is of no consequence once you get on pace. The secondary stability is fantastic though, and I think that is more important to keep one right-side-up in the big stuff.

The other attraction is the size. Myself being 140 lb (62 kg), the lesser volume in the SES means I am not getting blown all over the place when trying to go upwind or especially in front quartering seas when winds are 20+ knots, as I have in higher volume skis. If you expect to be out in high winds and the resulting seas, I think it is important to match the volume of the boat to your size. That is why I have been glad to see Fenn making the Spark and hear that Epic is going to make a new V10L.

Everything I have heard about Huki is positive; the only other thing I would ask for in a custom ski is to ensure the volume is correct for the body size (if paddling in big winds). A ski that is designed for someone at 225 lbs, while it may be fast, is likely not the ski for me.

Bill L

• grasshopper
  • Visitor
10 years 9 months ago - 10 years 9 months ago #17627 by grasshopper
Replied by grasshopper on topic Is my Stellar SES considered tippy
suspect Redback meant the Fenn Elite ? XT is way more stable then the SES.

Agree with all the other comments re. SES though, really nice ski for the lighter paddler, but still not for beginner unless they've got great natural balance
Last edit: 10 years 9 months ago by grasshopper.

More
10 years 9 months ago #17628 by RedBack
Sorry, - Yes, Elite! Thinking one thing, typing another! Doh! :blush:

More
10 years 9 months ago #17629 by wannagofast
yes I understand what you mean by less stable in glassy rolling conditions. For my paddling in the Columbia River with slow rolling boats waves its not tippy but the SES rolls side to side with the waves. When I have had rough water its usually 2' boat chop colliding with river swirling water. This is super choppy and easier to paddle in than the slow rollers. The confused water is scary looking and im tense. My stiffness is more of a problem than hull design.

I do agree SES is a stable HPK. yes there are more stble boats out there. It does fit me at 5.7" Im 170lbs.

I do believe a Huki S-1r would be a great second boat for extreme conditions and taking newbies out.

More
10 years 9 months ago - 10 years 9 months ago #17636 by Watto
Methink 'mazing, so many similar SES experiences.

Yes, SES is a tippy boat relative to slower and wider boat but compared to other high performance skis it is not. Also width statistics lie - narrow width measurement NOT an accurate measure of tippy because this measurement is across top of ski and does not describe a boat's profile. (Much more on this site about that.)

The rank below high performance skis (given proliferation of mid order boats lately there is much less of a 'step down' so this rank less easy to define) consists of boats which are marginally slower but quite a bit more stable. I agree with all assembled wisdom to date that one is better off in a more stable boat going for stability over speed, however for me my SES while a little dangerous (tippy) is a very provocative dancer and allows me to take the lead most of the time. I love that, I love not being in control all of the time, I love the challenge of having to lift myself more to make the grade. My boat does not hold me back, it is the other way around.

That challenge is not for everyone. For someone who just wants to get in and put pedal to the metal as it were and take every corner wide full open safely, go for an easier vehicle.

The SES for me has all of the stability and instability attested above but it is a forgiving boat. Also it feels better and goes better the more I paddle and (consequently) the harder I can paddle.

That was hard to think through..
Last edit: 10 years 9 months ago by Watto. Reason: Removed word.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Marieski

• davewilson
  • Visitor
10 years 9 months ago #17669 by davewilson
Replied by davewilson on topic Is my Stellar SES considered tippy
Relative to a epic v10 sport the ses is tippy, but relative to a v12 or v14 not so tippy.

Also comes into play,
Your motor - core reflex strength and endurance combined with recent time in rough water helps.

The layup - glass is more stable than kevlar or carbon because it flexes with the swell, also thus it is slower.

The rudder size - SES has 3 rudder variants the 9" (very stable) 8" (quite stable) and the weed or shorter flatwater rudder(fastest rudder on flatwater with moderate stability)

The SES seat is already high, this enables one to better get over ones paddle stroke, also in addition when in < 8 knots or flatwater I put the short rudder on and sit on a 3/4 eva foam seat pad making the boat more tippy, then when in rough water I lose the seatpad and put on a larger rudder giving me more stability in demanding conditions thereby conditioning motor core reflex.

I am still learning and experimenting because I hvent mastered it yet and I love the challenge and the performance of my SES Excel

• davewilson
  • Visitor
10 years 9 months ago #17670 by davewilson
Replied by davewilson on topic Is my Stellar SES considered tippy
Sorry and forgot to mention when you get the boat running and tracking fast and well say above 12 - 13km in rougher washing machine conditions - the boat stability improves markedly - not when waves are coming through you from behind which is not pleasant. I reckon paddle hard and confidently within your limitations.

Latest Forum Topics