Flatwater Rudder? Does anybody make them?

• rhainan
  • Visitor
10 years 3 months ago #19392 by rhainan
I have noticed others with really stubby rudders on their skis for flat water races. Do you make your own or is there a commercial rudder available? How short can you go? I have an extra Epic surf rudder. Can I just cut that down?

All of my paddling is lakes and rivers. I don't think I need the same sort of control the down wind paddlers need. It would be nice to be able to go even smaller than the Epic weedless rudder.

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 3 months ago #19394 by Kayaker Greg
Contact Orka Paddles and get them to make you one, cheap but service can be a little slow.

www.orkapaddles.com/rudders.php

More
10 years 3 months ago #19397 by Jmuzz
Its not too hard to make one. Sand some surfboard foam into shape, then layer on some glass.

The shaft is the trickier bit because you need to source suitable material.
I used wood, which did work except it swelled when left in overnight and almost got stuck. I have some $15 carbon tube on the way and will have to see if it fits correctly.

Seen people who have sourced surfboard or similar rudders and modified with a shaft. But there is that much work in drilling and fitting a shaft I think its easy (and fun, for me) just creating a fin. If you have a kit of basic fiberglassing supplies its free to try.

A little tiny rudder doesnt need much strength. I intentionally left the upper rear quarter without glass, just tissue paper for smoothness with the hope that if it does snap the shaft on a log the rudder will crumple rather than slice into the hull like an axe. Untested theory.

More
10 years 3 months ago #19398 by zachhandler
Don Kiesling in Seattle WA makes custom carbon fiber rudders. I have a supersize weedless surf rudder made by him. Hollow stainless steel shaft. Took about 3 days to be built and shipped. Quality is professional grade. Cost was about what it would be to buy a chinese factory made one from epic. I believe he makes a lot of "credit card" size flat water rudders for people. Email is surfski at gmail dot com. He is on this forum as well; I forget his handle.

Current Skis: Epic v10 g3, NK 670 double, NK exrcize, Kai Wa’a Vega, Carbonology Feather, Think Jet, Knysna Sonic X
Former Skis: Epic V12 g2, Epic V12 g1, Epic v10 double, Nelo 550 g2, Fenn Elite S, Custom Kayaks Synergy

More
10 years 3 months ago #19400 by Kennneee
Don recently made 2 rudders for my Swordfish. A small weedless and an elliptical surf rudder. He did a great job and was really quick in getting them out to me. They are functional art!

Ken

More
10 years 3 months ago #19433 by waterbornewarrior
Feel free to give me a shout for custom rudders.

I generally recommend 4" deep for a flatwater rudder. However, I just sent one out that was 1.75" deep!!

Don
surfski at gmail.com
206-226-6975

More
10 years 3 months ago #19436 by Newbflat
I can vouch for Don's rudders as well. I have two 8” weedless (one for my V10 and one for my SR) and a 4" for my V10. He has a nice little weed guard as well that I really like.

Bill

FENN Bluefin S
FENN Swordfish S carbon hybrid
Epic V8 double gen 2
Lot and lots of DK rudders.

Had:
Stellar SEL excel (gen 2)
Stellar SR excel (gen2)
Stellar S18s g1 (excel)
Epic V10 Double (performance)
Stellar SR (gen 1)
V10 sport (gen 2)
V10 (Gen 2)
Beater SEL (gen 1)

More
10 years 3 months ago #19450 by Vector
I made one from a little piece of stainless steel ,wich i weldet together wiht a 6mm stailes rod. That rudder works pretty well for flatwater. it has a 45 dergree angle in front and a tiny spoiler to protect the little gap. I`m shure that little rudder makes the boat faster!

More
10 years 3 months ago - 10 years 3 months ago #19451 by AR_convert
(Despite my best efforts I just could not get the image link function to work so links only posted :( )

I got into Marathon paddling when paddling a ski and quickly realised I needed something low profile for avoiding tree branches. etc in our races. I got the smallest rudder I could for my ski ( 6 inch I think.) Traced what shape would compliment the weed guard I had...

www.flickr.com/photos/23066149@N03/8076618811/

Took to it with a powertool....

www.flickr.com/photos/23066149@N03/8076618321/

shaped the bottom and edges....

www.flickr.com/photos/23066149@N03/8076610600

www.flickr.com/photos/23066149@N03/8076610044/

then several coats of spray laquer and she's a beauty!!!

www.flickr.com/photos/23066149@N03/8076616433/

It ended up about 4 inches and I love it. The only issue I have had is tight turns at speed, it runs pretty wide, but now that I am aware of that I plan race turns well ahead.

Always looking for the next boat :)
Last edit: 10 years 3 months ago by AR_convert.

• darebet
  • Visitor
10 years 3 months ago #19479 by darebet
Replied by darebet on topic Flatwater Rudder? Does anybody make them?
I made a bunch using 3/8 in fiberglass rods and cedar. Really easy to make. You can put a layer of fiberglass over it if you want but it is just extra work. Make a bunch and try different shapes.

Latest Forum Topics