How stable is the Vajda Orca?

• Ole
  • Visitor
10 years 1 month ago #19789 by Ole
How stable is the Vajda Orca? was created by Ole
Hi,
I am trying to find out how stable the Vajda Orca (normal glass layup version) is, say compared to Epic, Think or Fenn skies.
Could someone help?

Thanks,
Ole

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• JeandeFlorette
  • Visitor
10 years 1 month ago #19792 by JeandeFlorette
Replied by JeandeFlorette on topic How stable is the Vajda Orca?
I have been paddling a Vajda Orca for the last 3 years and have tried it in various conditions including 25-30 knot winds and 2.5m swell. This is a craft that I am comfortable in even when the shit hits the fan. It is not the fastest craft that I have paddled but it chugs along no matter what! I have done my best time in the Bridge to Beach in that craft when the swell was hitting the 3m+ between the Heads! I have paddled into a 3m+ southerly and not fallen off once. Crafts that I compare it with are the Fenn Mako6, Think Uno Max, Epic V10... none of which have lasted long in my stable as I had difficulties in big conditions as a mid pack paddler. The shape of the hull is such that it rises quickly when a wave hits the craft, surfs well, and is forgiving when you get carried away.

Check for soft spots... not sure about the longevity of that this construction! I have had my fare share of those and the boat builder and I are good buddies...

I still hang on to it as I like the hull shape as I like conditions that sort boys from men and I would not hesitate to choose this one over others.

Jean

• Ole
  • Visitor
10 years 1 month ago #19803 by Ole
Replied by Ole on topic How stable is the Vajda Orca?
Thanks for the comprehensive answer, Jean.

I heard about the variations in quality which is now my main concern.

Maybe I rather look for another ski, just sold a DD3 which was great, maybe I should come back to DD3.

Best,
Ole

• Ole
  • Visitor
9 years 10 months ago #20512 by Ole
Hi Jean,

I am again looking at an Orca Racing (test paddled a carbon two weeks ago and loved it so much!!).
I inspected a 2 year old Orca Racing today, couldn't find any soft spots but noticed that the ski is much softer than the Hawx Racing.
From your experience, would you expect soft spots still coming up after two years of moderate use?
Many thanks,
Ole

• JeandeFlorette
  • Visitor
9 years 10 months ago #20513 by JeandeFlorette
mine is a 3 year old Orca, and I kept it precisely because it can handle any seas that would have scared the living daylights on previous crafts that I have owned. The soft spots on mine are still there, and I still paddle in big swell offshore... Try this: grab the ski by the rudder end and give it a few gentle shakes and watch if the hull buckles in the middle! If yours was meant to have soft spots, it would have developed already, I would attribute that to improvements on hull design and production... Anyhow, all I can say is that if you enjoyed its stability, then depending on your intended use, go for it!

Jean

• Ole
  • Visitor
9 years 10 months ago #20514 by Ole
Hi Jean,

thanks for your fast response. I will test paddle it on Friday and if all works well (will do the rudder/hull test)I'll make an offer.
My wife said she has never seen me with such a big smile (after I test paddled the Orca Elite!

• JeandeFlorette
  • Visitor
9 years 10 months ago #20519 by JeandeFlorette
Hi Ole,

not sure that I have covered this before. The ORCA is not the fastest craft on the market out there... also it is not light at 15 kg and this along with the hull design contribute to its stability. What you will find is big swell is a lift from the rear as the bottom is relative wide and flat a bit like a spec ski, whilst the bow is tall and has high volume like most good skis. I am still amazed as to how stable and forgiving the craft is generally. In cross swell and when catching runs or downwind, you will find that the rear may have tendency to move a bit but in fact the craft is trying to align it self with the flow of the water steared by the general direct of the bow. So, play with the rudder to compensate based on which direction you want to go... this is heaps of fun. The idea here is that you need to TRUST your craft, and pay attention when it is giving you feedback as you have not have attacked a wave at the most efficient angle and the craft is attempting to self correct itself. Teh good thing is that instead of being thrown off, you may momentarily change direction and importantly stay upright!

Downwind, the way it catches runs is simply exilerating and you will know if you are doing it well by listening to the sound of the venturi (that's if there is no wind!).

At the last Bridge to Beach that I did about 2 years ago, there was 2m swell at the Heads, and I finished 69, which to me as a mid packer, was quite satisfying, I saw other paddlers in more sophisticated and lighter skis struggle as we paddled past bumpy Middle HEad section. That's where the ORCA is most fun as it takes everything in it's stride and surfs...

Look forward to see you on the water at some stage.

Have fun!

Jean

• JamieMc
  • Visitor
9 years 10 months ago #20527 by JamieMc
Replied by JamieMc on topic How stable is the Vajda Orca?
Ole the orca is, in my opinion an elite level ski. It is slightly less stable than the Hawx 43, it is still a very competitive ski, you can always see an orca up towards the front in races. Have a spin, make sure you get out in some bump to see if you are still comfortable. It is aimed at heavier paddlers, with a bit more volume than the hawx.

• Ole
  • Visitor
9 years 10 months ago #20532 by Ole
Thanks for the comprehensive advice!

I have a closer look into it tomorrow and see.
Unfortunately, had to have my shoulder scanned yesterday - get the results next week (fingers crossed!) - will make a decision afterwards.

Again, thanks!

• Ole
  • Visitor
9 years 10 months ago - 9 years 10 months ago #20563 by Ole
okay, paddled the Orca again.

Unfortunately, I just don't have enough room for my legs which stops me from rotating my hips.
So I keep on searching...
Last edit: 9 years 10 months ago by Ole.

More
9 years 10 months ago #20578 by ergometer
Not really sure this information. ORCA is not the fatest craft and if all works well. Thanks for the sharing it.

Latest Forum Topics