Newbie - need advice please

More
10 years 1 month ago #20049 by jonny250
Hi Folks, I'm hoping you might be able to offer me some advice about getting a first surfski...
I have done a bit of kayak paddling before, over the years but not regularly. i also have a custom waveski and have done lots of surfing on that.
I'm reasonably fit [45] and my main sport is freediving and spearfishing, often off of a SOT kayak.
Soooo... i'm thinking to get my first surfski, just for recreational use as i live on a small island [Guernsey] in the English channel and there are no other skis on the island - I will be paddling alone [with epirb and vhf] and conditions are usually not flat. i would hope to do downwind paddles, but only after heading upwind to start with. i would hope to get fit/skilled enough to manage 3+ hour paddle sessions.

I'm looking at the new Epic V8 [performance] as a suitable ski. it seems that it has a good reputation for build quality and the spec and reviews suggest it will be very stable.
its really expensive to fly/ferry to the uk to demo, so am thinking to order one and just get on with it...
what do you think?
Should i consider the V10 Sport too? or is that likely to be more of a handful in the chop? do you think the V10S is significantly faster than the V8?
Any advice would be appreciated :)
Thanks, Jonny.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 1 month ago - 10 years 1 month ago #20050 by Paul600
Replied by Paul600 on topic Newbie - need advice please
If you wanted to demo, you could come over to Weymouth cheaply as a foot passenger on the cat and try them both at Weymouth Watersports.
Last edit: 10 years 1 month ago by Paul600.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jonny250

More
10 years 1 month ago #20051 by Jordan
Replied by Jordan on topic Newbie - need advice please
Hi there
Probably your best bet is to come along to the GB ocean ski paddling development day on the 17th of may. More details can be found on the facebook page
Here you will be able to demo skis from Epic, Fenn and other brands. I am aware that the Fenn dealer is bringing in the new Blue Finn which is equivalent to the Epic V8. Glenn Eldridge of Ocean Sports Uk is the guy to get hold of for the Fenn
Hope i could be of some help

More
10 years 1 month ago #20060 by cheeseman
Hi Johnny always paddle first !!before buy any surf ski. We all fit only some skis ,and if you want to sit for 3hours be very sure it fit!

More
10 years 1 month ago #20061 by jonny250
Thanks guys, i ill make some phone calls today and see what i can fix up for demos.

More
10 years 1 month ago - 10 years 1 month ago #20064 by jocuba
Replied by jocuba on topic Newbie - need advice please
Before you commit yourself check out the Vajda ski range... www.vajdagroup.com
Contact Marcel Vajda to discuss & perhaps arrange testing in France - This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
You want to get it right the first time... big outlay & easy to make a mistake.
Vajda are reasonably priced & world class.

Be interesting to know how you get along & what you decide.
Last edit: 10 years 1 month ago by jocuba. Reason: spelling

Latest Forum Topics