instructional books on surfski paddling

More
9 years 8 months ago #21237 by kevin brunette
SURFSKI with the Pros… is available as an eBook.

Visit www.publisher.co.za to purchase and download an electronic version of the book in an ePub or pdf format, or get the printed version.

SURFKSI with the Pros... provides information paddlers at all levels can use to improve their skills, helping you to progress from the moment you put your ski onto the water to when you compete in an event.

The book draws on the experience of Dawid and Nikki Mocke, who have both played a major role in the evolution of surfski around the world, through competing in events at the highest level, and via the instruction and support they provide at their surfski school.

The content is broad and comprehensive, ranging from the basics of balancing on a ski to harnessing the power and rhythm of the sea when paddling downwind. It should have you feeling that you are competing against Dawid and Nikki, being coached by them, or just linking up with them on the water.

The book is written by Kevin Brunette, with images by Jean Tresfon, and illustrations by Tom Schilperoort.

The direct link is www.ebooks.publisher.co.za/cart/details/...html?keyword=surfski

You can also buy the eBook versions from lulu.com, and the iBook store.

FENN Bluefin, XT, Swordfish S
Author and publisher at South Easter Communications of books in the SURFSKI series, aimed at recreational to advanced paddlers. Look at the Facebook page Surfski know-how and visit www.lulu.com/spotlight/southeastercommunications
The following user(s) said Thank You: Uncle Frosty

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 8 months ago #21244 by Uncle Frosty
Just downloaded it from the IBook store, had been looking for it. thanks.

More
9 years 4 months ago #22448 by kevin brunette
Comment on the book received from a paddler in Sydney.

"SURFSKI with the Pros… is probably the best collected wisdom any newcomer to surfskiing could ever hope to come across. A highly recommended read - I suspect it will become something of a bible in the beginner community in the coming years."

The eBook is available from Lulu.com, the iBook store, and Barnes and Noble.
The direct link is www.lulu.com/spotlight/southeastercommunications

Author and publisher at South Easter Communications of books in the SURFSKI series, aimed at recreational to advanced paddlers. Look at the Facebook page Surfski know-how and visit www.lulu.com/spotlight/southeastercommunications

More
9 years 4 months ago #22647 by kevin brunette
Further comment received from a reader of SURFSKI with the Pros...

"Got a copy and must have read it 6 times, great reference. I am an intermediate paddler and live miles from nowhere, so access to tangible hands on information can be a bit hard to find. Love this book."

The eBook is available from Lulu.com, the iBook store, and Barnes and Noble.
The direct link is www.lulu.com/spotlight/southeastercommunications

More
8 years 6 months ago #24754 by kevin brunette
The third version of SURFSKI: With the Pros is available as an eBook in epub and pdf formats.
This revision provides the platform for a series of instructional books under the title SURFSKI, which are to be published soon. These include Paddling Downwind, Perfecting your Technique, and Surviving at Sea, targeted at intermediate to advanced paddlers.
The epub format is available from the online bookstore Lulu.com, and from the iBook store through iTunes. The pdf is only available from Lulu.com.
Follow the link www.lulu.com/spotlight/southeastercommunications

The following user(s) said Thank You: mancapbol

More
8 years 6 months ago #24770 by PhilSE2
Tried the site and liked the look of the books so I ordered 3 of them.
Unfortunatly all I got to do was pay by card and join up to Lulu. Coundn't down load books and when I sign into Lulu can't see what I have ordered in my Account, very disturbing.
Similarly perplexed by rise in price from when I ordered the books $9.99 per book whern ordered to $13.17 when looked at again. Is this a cutrancy thing that didn't wotk the first time I entrered?
The books look good (Training and Performance, Perfect your Technique and Winning the Races). Would very much like to read them, but don't feel like paying for them a second time.

More
8 years 6 months ago #24772 by kevin brunette
PhilSE2
Apologise for the inconvenience. I will look into the distribution through Lulu.com and the price differential. Your transactions should come up in the sales report in a few hours. Please open discussion with me on This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. so that I can ensure that you get what you ordered.

More
8 years 6 months ago #24775 by kevin brunette
South Easter Communications has just published a series of instructional books under the title SURFSKI in epub and pdf formats.
The content is packed with technical and practical know-how aimed at paddlers at intermediate to advanced levels, and is also applicable to individuals from disciplines such as lifesaving, canoeing and adventure sports that seek the transition to ocean racing.
The five books in the SURFSKI series are:
• Paddling Downwind
• Perfecting your Technique
• Surviving at Sea
• Training for Performance
• Winning the Races
Each book is self-contained and can be purchased separately.
Kevin Brunette is the author, with images by Jean Tresfon and Anthony Grote.
The epub format is available from the online bookstore Lulu.com, and from the iBook store through iTunes. The pdf is only available from Lulu.com. Books are priced at $9.99 plus a download fee, and can be downloaded following a credit card transaction.

More
8 years 5 months ago - 8 years 5 months ago #24811 by kevin brunette
PhilSE2
The transaction that you refer to on 23 September is not amongst those processed by Lulu.com. The list price is currency related ($AUS in your case) because Lulu.com operates several storefronts.

Last edit: 8 years 5 months ago by kevin brunette. Reason: Left out the intended recipient

More
8 years 5 months ago #24822 by kevin brunette
Remounting a double ski
Coordination is required for two people to remount a double ski. The sequence in which paddlers remount is not fixed, but can vary according to the abilities of the individuals. The problem is that the seat rails are higher out of the water than those of a single ski, making it considerably more difficult to pull yourself up.
Paddlers would typically come off and remount from the same side, but could remount from opposite sides once they become familiar with the process. One paddler might get up more easily than the other and this dictates who gets up first. The craft can be tilted for the first paddler, but not the second.
The paddler with less upper body strength should remount first. It does not matter if this is the front or back paddler. This allows you to steady and importantly, tilt the craft so it is easier to clamber up over the high seat rail.
Once up, the first paddler keeps a low centre of gravity with his or her feet over side to steady the craft, allowing the second paddler to remount. The second paddler needs a certain agility and upper body strength, because the boat will be level, with the seat rail high out of the water.
In clambering up, don’t put too much pressure on a seat rail; otherwise you can pull your partner over and you both have to repeat the remounting procedure. Initially practice on flat water, then once perfected, repeat the procedure on rougher water followed by more extreme conditions of wind and swell.

This is an extract from ‘SURFSKI: Surviving at Sea‘, written by Kevin Brunette. The epub format is available from the online bookstore Lulu.com, and from the iBook store through iTunes. The pdf is only available from Lulu.com. Books are priced at US$9.99, and can be downloaded following a credit card transaction.

More
8 years 5 months ago #24842 by kevin brunette
Learning from the outset
A paddling movement that provides stability and at the same time converts your effort into forward motion takes time to perfect. This means applying your mind to the task, progressing step-by-step.
The trick is to embed each paddling action into your muscle memory, one at a time, making the final, integrated movement smooth and effortless. Once done, this allows you to focus on linking runs or play out race tactics, without thinking about the technicalities of the trajectory of your blade.
If you are going to spend time on your technique, learn the correct stroking action from the outset. It is easy to perfect an imperfect technique, making it difficult to adjust once you have committed it to muscle memory.
The time needed to achieve perfection is relative to each individual, but if you apply your mind to it, the process can take a matter of months. You don’t need a perfect stroke to get going on a surfski, but it requires a robust platform.
Perfection in technique demands an ongoing assessment and optimisation. The objective is that each stroke propels you forward the maximum distance, at the least effort.
Learning demands keeping an open mind, being willing to try alternatives such as different blade shapes and sizes, and even adjusting the leg length on your ski. There are no absolute rights and wrongs, so this requires experimentation to see what works. The reality is that your technique will only advance a bit at a time.
Factors in perfecting your technique could include:
• your paddle length and feather angle
• the timing and power of a leg drive
• where you concentrate power in a pull
• the extent of your rotation
• the trajectory of a blade in a pull
• where you exit a blade 

It becomes a complicated mix of factors, but you will only approach perfection if you integrate the relevant and precise actions into your stroke.
If you consider that your technique could do with tweaking, don’t wait to seek help. You might not know how poor your stroke is until someone points it out. While he or she can give advice, you are the only one that can work on it.

This is an extract from ‘SURFSKI: Perfecting your Technique‘, written by Kevin Brunette.
The epub format is available from the online bookstore Lulu.com, and from the iBook store through iTunes. The pdf is only available from Lulu.com. Books are priced at US$9.99, and can be downloaded following a credit card transaction.

More
6 years 3 months ago #30555 by leolinha
Hello Kevin,

Yesterday I bought 3 e-books of your SURFSKI series through Amazon.com.br:
- Training for performance
- Perfecting your technique
- Paddling downwind

To my surprise, only after the purchase process was concluded I noticed that the first 2 books (Training for Performance & Perfecting your technique) were absolutely identical, just the covers were different.

The book preview on Amazon (in any country) shows this: "Training for performance" cover, but "Perfecting your technique" content. So, I ended up buying one book for the price of two. And sadly, "Training for performance" was the book I wanted most...

Please get in touch with Amazon to solve this issue before other buyers have the same inconvenience!

Best regards,
Leonardo Linhares

Current: Epic V8 PRO, Think Evo 3
Past: Epic V8, Epic V10 Sport

More
6 years 3 months ago #30556 by LakeMan
Leo,
If you haven't done it already Amazon will refund one of the books, just explain to them the discrepancy. They gave me a refund on an e-book last year. Customer Service is:
1 866-216-1072

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill
The following user(s) said Thank You: leolinha

More
6 years 3 months ago #30559 by leolinha
Thanks LakeMan,
I would appreciate a refund, but I'd rather get the book instead... What a pity.
I am already in touch with Amazon Brazil regarding this issue.

More
6 years 3 months ago #30562 by kevin brunette
Hello Leonardo
Apologies for the admin error and will address this ASAP. In the meantime please send your contact details to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. so that I can arrange to get a replacement of SURFSKI: Training for Performance to you.
Kevin

More
6 years 3 months ago #30564 by kevin brunette
Hello Leonardo
The link to the kindle version of SURFSKI: Training for Performance on Amazon has been reestablished, but please wait for 24 hours for the change to take effect. You should be able to download the file again because you have a valid copy on your reading device. My apologies for the error. Please let me know if I can be of further assistance.
Kevin

More
6 years 3 months ago #30574 by leolinha
Hello Kevin,

The "Training for performance" book preview on Amazon is now correct.
As you said, I waited 24h and downloaded the content again. Now the content matches the cover.
I'm glad that the problem was solved in the best possible way. Thank you!

By the way, I also own a printed copy of your book "Surfski with the pros". I like that book very much! It was difficult to get that copy though. I guess there aren't printed copies of the other titles available, right?

Leo

More
6 years 3 months ago #30606 by kevin brunette
Apologise for the admin error. Books in the SURFSKI series are only available in digital format, kindle from Amazon, pdfs and pubs from Lulu.com, iTunes and Barnes and Noble. Printed books are difficult to distribute to international paddlers.

Latest Forum Topics