What do you think the new Epic boat is all about?

• rhainan
  • Visitor
9 years 5 months ago - 9 years 5 months ago #22159 by rhainan
Epic is running a new "guess the new boat" contest on facebook.

I encourage you to enter. Epic is giving away eight boats in the USA, Canada, Europe, Asia, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa and South America.

apps.facebook.com/my-contests/evpxrq
Last edit: 9 years 5 months ago by rhainan.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 5 months ago #22160 by Sifor
I think I saw a picture of a V10L 'Sport' model in the Epic China factory on their facebook page... Maybe that's it?

The only other gap I can see in the lineup is a spec ski version which would be incredibly popular in Australia.

More
9 years 5 months ago #22161 by AR_convert

Sifor wrote:
The only other gap I can see in the lineup is a spec ski version which would be incredibly popular in Australia.

Hmmm , good call.

I was looking at the fact they have managed to freshen up many of the designs ( V8, V10, V10S, V10L) and thought that maybe the V12 was in for a makeover?

Always looking for the next boat :)

More
9 years 5 months ago #22166 by Kayaker Greg
I've heard a rumor that its a smaller volume sport model.

More
9 years 5 months ago #22169 by Newbflat
It's a plastic introductory ski....

FENN Bluefin S
FENN Swordfish S carbon hybrid
Epic V8 double gen 2
Lot and lots of DK rudders.

Had:
Stellar SEL excel (gen 2)
Stellar SR excel (gen2)
Stellar S18s g1 (excel)
Epic V10 Double (performance)
Stellar SR (gen 1)
V10 sport (gen 2)
V10 (Gen 2)
Beater SEL (gen 1)

More
9 years 5 months ago #22170 by Kocho
VR8 or AR8 or 18 something like this? The profile, if it is any clue to the actual boat, looks similar to the V8, with handles in slightly different positions. It has a taller nose, which suggests narrower width. A narrower version of the V8 would be welcome. Overstern rudder, suggests river running/adventure racing. Or possibly more sea kayak-like design with hatches like the V6 but longer, at 18'?

These are my guesses, perhaps something to compete with the Stellar S18S?

More
9 years 5 months ago #22172 by hamishglen
Back in March this year Oscar mentioned the V12 was the next to get a makeover.

More
9 years 5 months ago #22181 by partymarty
please let it be a real ski with hatches, (the V6 is really a sit on top kayak ). Then I don't need a seakayak as well.

• rhainan
  • Visitor
9 years 5 months ago #22182 by rhainan
I'm curious in what way you feel that the V6 is not a real ski and is just a sit on top kayak? I think I know what you mean, but aren't all surf skis a type of sit in top kayak?

Are you wishing Epic would produce the V10 with hatches?

Forgetting the engineering difficulty (impossibility?) in designing a performance ski with hatches for a moment, I'm trying to imagine a scenario in which I would want/need a hatch on an elite surfski.

For me, the V6 has made the sea kayak obsolete.

Anyway, there should be no talk on this site of making a kayak that takes the place of two! :P Remember the n+1 rule.

More
9 years 5 months ago #22183 by M.v.E.
I know that they will bring out a new plastic (PE) Surfski very similar to the V 8 but a little bit shorter.

Current Ski: Nelo 550 L
Previous Skis: Stellar SR 1. Gen. / Stellar SEI 1. Gen. / Stellar SR 2. Gen.

More
9 years 5 months ago #22184 by partymarty
I'm a great believer of the n+1 rule - just ask my wife! When I said "I wouldn't need a seakayak' there was no mention at all about getting rid of it.

As for why I'd want a real ski with hatches, that's a simple one. Ski camping rather than kayak camping. I do a lot of solo overnight trips, so don't need to take much gear, and in fact usually just stick a drybag under the occy's on the epic, but a hatch forward would make the ski an option for longer trips rather than the seakayak.

More
9 years 5 months ago #22222 by Newbflat

Newbflat wrote: It's a plastic introductory ski....

Ok... What do I win?

FENN Bluefin S
FENN Swordfish S carbon hybrid
Epic V8 double gen 2
Lot and lots of DK rudders.

Had:
Stellar SEL excel (gen 2)
Stellar SR excel (gen2)
Stellar S18s g1 (excel)
Epic V10 Double (performance)
Stellar SR (gen 1)
V10 sport (gen 2)
V10 (Gen 2)
Beater SEL (gen 1)

More
9 years 5 months ago #22223 by kwhatmough
:-)

Is there any info (specs/rudder options/global release dates etc.) beyond what I see here:
www.epickayaks.net.au/newepic/V7.html
?

(At this time, I don't see any mention on the North American site... perhaps I am too impatient).

New boat, same old engine.

More
9 years 5 months ago #22224 by Kocho
Very cool! It looks a bit shorter than the the V8 - hopefully (for my needs) it will be no more than 16' or 17' long rather than 18. And no wider than 23", please! And lighter than 45lb, please :)

• rhainan
  • Visitor
9 years 5 months ago #22225 by rhainan
I think it will fit your needs very well. At 17 feet it is a little shorter than the V8 but at 21" wide it is a bit skinnier. The best part is that it is 42 pounds.

More
9 years 5 months ago #22226 by kwhatmough
What size of paddlers will it fit? (Please let it have ample leg room for us taller folk). And where do we view the specs?

New boat, same old engine.

More
9 years 5 months ago #22227 by Kocho

rhainan wrote: I think it will fit your needs very well. At 17 feet it is a little shorter than the V8 but at 21" wide it is a bit skinnier. The best part is that it is 42 pounds.

Great! Narrower than the V8 is actually what I was hoping for, and every inch counts. 21" is probably ideal for me. I have the Think Eze, which is very similar dimensions (lighter at around 30lb) but fragile and does not fit me particularly well - a blast to paddle in smaller bodies of water where there is no time for large swell to develop...

• rhainan
  • Visitor
9 years 5 months ago #22230 by rhainan
I think Epic was trying to approximate the V8 characteristics as much as possible in the V7. We were supposed to paddle one at the dealer conference but it arrived too late.

More
9 years 5 months ago #22231 by Bolge
Be interesting to see if this turns up for next years Avon descent ( obviously with the kick up trailing rudder option). Will it give the Spirit PRS a run for its money?

More
9 years 5 months ago - 9 years 5 months ago #22232 by Kocho
Hard to tell without specs, but from the photos it looks like they are different: the V7 appears to be more swede form and with straighter lines in the bow (when lookd at from above) than the V8. And the length to width ratio of the V7 is smaller than what I calculate on the V8. The V8 (based on specs) is close to 10, the V7 is close to 8 (based on the photo) EDIT - based on the specs posted in the other post here, the V7 is of similar length to width ratio as the V8. Probably someone photoshopped the photo wrong then. The V6 has a ratio just above 8 (based on its specs). Wait and see, I guess...

www.epickayaks.net.au/newepic/V8.html
www.epickayaks.net.au/newepic/V7.html
www.epickayaks.net.au/newepic/V6.html
Last edit: 9 years 5 months ago by Kocho.

Latest Forum Topics