Did ONNO Paddles steal my money?

More
9 years 2 weeks ago #23753 by zachhandler
Sorry for the scandalous sounding title to this thread, but I wanted to get people's attention.

Here's the deal. In April of 2013 I had two phone conversations with Patrick of ONNO paddles about having him build me a paddle. I sent him a bit over $400 via paypal and he told me I would have my paddle in 2 weeks.I had previously bought a rudder from him and that had been delivered quickly. After about 6 weeks I emailed to check on the progress of the paddle and he said it was coming right up. Since then I have heard nothing from him. I have sent him an email or left a phone message every 3 or 4 months, but have never had a reply. I have told him in my more recent messages, that no hard feelings, but I would simply like a paddle or my money back.

What is going on? I can see that his website was updated 15 months after I paid for my paddle, so he was either ignoring or not getting my messages during that time.

Is Patrick still alive? Is he terminally ill, in jail, or strung out with drugs or mental illness? Has anybody heard anything from him in the past 2 years? I understand that life throws curves at people, and I don't mind loaning or giving to those who are down on their luck. So if something terrible has happened to Patrick, please fill me in and I will walk away from my $400 and simply consider it "life tax".

Believe me it doesn't feel great to write a disparaging post about someone who is clearly a very nice guy, and who makes paddles that are works of art.

But...it also doesn't feel great to be ripped off and ignored.

Perhaps Patrick will read this post and rectify the situation?

If not, I would advise people to think carefully before sending him their hard-earned money.

Current Skis: Epic v10 g3, NK 670 double, NK exrcize, Kai Wa’a Vega, Carbonology Feather, Think Jet, Knysna Sonic X
Former Skis: Epic V12 g2, Epic V12 g1, Epic v10 double, Nelo 550 g2, Fenn Elite S, Custom Kayaks Synergy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 2 weeks ago #23760 by Kennneee
I had an Onno made a couple of years ago and it is a fine paddle. It was not as simple as ordering a paddle and having it delivered or picking one off the shelf. It took many emails, calls and long conversations to finally get it. Patrick was having some difficult problems at the time and many of our communications were as much about them as the paddle. I finally got my paddle and it is beautifully made. I think Patrick is a really well intenioned guy but life seems to be beating him down. I love supporting small businesses but there is a point when it may not be worth it. That said, he needs to send you a paddle or your money!
Ken
The following user(s) said Thank You: zachhandler

More
6 years 11 months ago #28753 by cjborg
Glad you've had good luck, Kennneee, but after purchasing two paddles from Patrick, I sent him another $775.00 for more paddles. . . .in August of 2013!

Not only have I not received paddles, but he stopped responding to my emails more than a year ago, despite the fact that I never pestered him with more than two or three emails per year, and have always been polite, patient, kind, and respectful. I would think that any "well-intentioned guy" would find a few minutes to answer the occasional email from a customer as patient as I've been.

Anyway, since ONNO is apparently out of business, does anyone have a suggestion for a paddle that is similar to the ONNO smaller endurance wing? I have the larger version of that paddle, but it is killing my aging shoulders for anything longer than an hour. I'm using a total length of about 202 - 207 cm, depending on whether I'm paddling a single or double. I've inquired of Jantex, but they don't offer anything this short. Any help is much appreciated...thanks in advance!

More
6 years 11 months ago #28754 by mckengmsurfski
Jantex definitely makes paddles in the 202-207cm range. Not sure who told you otherwise? Not sure where you are located, but here in the States Eliteoceansports can get you a Jantex in whatever blade size/shape and paddle length/stiffness combo you like.

More
6 years 11 months ago #28755 by Newbflat
I have a small mid ONNO 206-211 (I think) I'm willing to sell.

Newbflat (at) gmail dot com

Bill

FENN Bluefin S
FENN Swordfish S carbon hybrid
Epic V8 double gen 2
Lot and lots of DK rudders.

Had:
Stellar SEL excel (gen 2)
Stellar SR excel (gen2)
Stellar S18s g1 (excel)
Epic V10 Double (performance)
Stellar SR (gen 1)
V10 sport (gen 2)
V10 (Gen 2)
Beater SEL (gen 1)

More
6 years 11 months ago #28757 by cjborg
Thanks Mark, and please accept my apologies. I corresponded with you more than a year ago, but I misstated what you said. At the time, you did not have any shorter paddles in stock, but you didn't say Jantex didn't make shorter paddles! Mea culpa. I still have your email address and will be in touch.

More
6 years 11 months ago #28764 by Fath2o
Had a similar thing happen with me. Ordered rudders from a guy in Newport bch, CA. Sent money and never heard from him again. Sent lots of emails and left phone messages. Called acquaintance of his who said he had some personal issues. Couple years later I was heading down that way to pick up a paddle. So I tracked him down with google and found the converted garage he lived in.
Showed up in the wee morning hours and roused him out of bed. He took me to his ATM gave me all my money back, the unfinshed rudders and an apology. But, he sure was curious how I tracked him down.

More
6 years 9 months ago #29058 by wrshultz
I too am a victim of Patrick's disappearing act. Back in 2013 I ordered and received a couple of custom carbon fiber foot plates for our K1 boats. One plate fit great, but he made the second plate longer instead of identical measurements. I sent the longer plate back to him to shorten and ordered an additional foot plate for my Cobra Eliminator plastic surf ski. I sent him a PayPal payment for the new plate and to cover the cost of shipping. I checked regularly on the progress of these plates, and always received a reply. But, there was a myriad of excuses and promises. Until last year, when he dropped off the earth. I started receiving canned auto-replies from his e-mail address, and his website was taken down. I have reached out to a number of members of the paddling community around the Hilo area and islands. If anyone knows anything about his whereabouts or what's going on, they aren't sharing. Patrick seems like a nice guy and does really quality work. Seems like he has always been plagued by personal problems. If anybody hears anything about the status of ONNO Paddles or Patrick, please share. Thanks, Bill

Latest Forum Topics