Broken rudder cable

• rydogk
  • Visitor
8 years 11 months ago #23874 by rydogk
Broken rudder cable was created by rydogk
I got a Scarab lifeguard spec surfski with a rusted cable that is stuck and not able to be pulled out. The cable broke on one side after vigorous pulling. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 10 months ago #23876 by sAsLEX
Replied by sAsLEX on topic Broken rudder cable
Never had a stuck cable not come unstuck after repeated and vigorous application of CRC 556 (kind of like WD 40)

Just apply lots and wiggle, leave and repeat

More
8 years 10 months ago #23884 by Hiro
Replied by Hiro on topic Broken rudder cable
I agree with sAsLEX. Soak it with WD40 like product. Be generous.

More
8 years 10 months ago - 8 years 10 months ago #23887 by Schravesande
Replied by Schravesande on topic Broken rudder cable
Make a loop in the cable as near to the hole as possible. Slip a lever through the loop (something like a screwdriver) and twist the cable in the direction that makes the strands tighten (if this makes sense). Keep twisting and pulling and it will eventually twist itself free. Use the WD40 as mentioned by others. Forcing pickling paste into the conduit may dissolve the rust but should be a last resort as is quite corrosive and aggressive stuff. You would get this paste from a welding equipment supplier.
Last edit: 8 years 10 months ago by Schravesande. Reason: addition of info

More
8 years 10 months ago #23899 by Davelis
Replied by Davelis on topic Broken rudder cable
One ski in my club have the same problem and tried all the things wd40 steel wire with no success. I have to take off the side strip (kevlar tape) and cut it open to replace the plastic tube.

More
8 years 10 months ago #23901 by Ranga
Replied by Ranga on topic Broken rudder cable
No need to cut the ski open to replace the tube. There is a much easier way. Drill out the ends of the old tube to about 10mm and feed new tube through the bigger holes and secure with good epoxy or similar, done!
Yes it sounds easier than in reality but when you have done it a few times it gets easier and faster.
I feed the S/S cable through the new tube you want to fit and then feed the S/S cable through the ski and hook it out with a wire hook through the bigger hole you just drilled. It is then easy to pull the tube trough with the S/S cable inside the tube.
The following user(s) said Thank You: richardh

More
8 years 10 months ago #23906 by Davelis
Replied by Davelis on topic Broken rudder cable
The tube is not loose inside it's glued with patches of kevlar at least in my case so it won't come out by just drilling bigger holes at the ends.

More
8 years 10 months ago #23908 by Ranga
Replied by Ranga on topic Broken rudder cable
You leave the old tube inside the ski.

More
8 years 10 months ago #23910 by Hiro
Replied by Hiro on topic Broken rudder cable
I've seen people glueing a new tube on the deck of the ski and run a new cable this way. It's uggly but it works.

More
8 years 10 months ago #23914 by coastbouy
Replied by coastbouy on topic Broken rudder cable
If you just can't remove the old rudder cable housing......leave the old one inside.....often it's a good idea to use a length of very stiff wire that will make it easier to "find" the other second exit point for the rudder cable (similar to how you might run wiring in a house using a "fish tape") It might be useful or required to make a opening in the boat if you can't feel/find the of exit point with the wire alone. You could mount a inspection port ( round hatch ) with a opening large enough to fit you hand through so you could reach inside and be able to feed the housing out through the boat. Another option is to cut out the hole for you hand save the cut out portion and when you are done with the housing installation glue the cut out portion back onto the boat using fiberglass resin and cloth. I like using black 1/4" poly tube (drip irrigation line ) for the housing. Leave the ends long and cut them off after sealing the end of the housing to the boat.

good luck,

joel

Latest Forum Topics