Wave deflector on the cheap.

More
8 years 8 months ago #24218 by Newbflat
I see videos and photos of wave deflectors on skis that are clearly homemade. But I can never quite make out what there made of. Anyone have any tips for off the shelf / homemade deflectors?... Cheep is good, effective better!

Bill

FENN Bluefin S
FENN Swordfish S carbon hybrid
Epic V8 double gen 2
Lot and lots of DK rudders.

Had:
Stellar SEL excel (gen 2)
Stellar SR excel (gen2)
Stellar S18s g1 (excel)
Epic V10 Double (performance)
Stellar SR (gen 1)
V10 sport (gen 2)
V10 (Gen 2)
Beater SEL (gen 1)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 8 months ago #24220 by Ranga
Replied by Ranga on topic Wave deflector on the cheap.
Usually made from 10mm EVA expanded foam rubber, basically your common old camping mattress. Mine on the other hand are carbon fibre!

More
8 years 8 months ago - 8 years 8 months ago #24221 by Newbflat
"Mine on the other hand is Carbon fiber"... Sure it is.
... Doesn't exist until I see a picture.

Bill

FENN Bluefin S
Epic V8 double gen 2

Had:
Stellar SR excel (gen2)
Stellar S18s g1 (excel)
Stellar SR (gen 1)
V10 sport (gen 2)
V10 (Gen 2)
Beater SEL (gen 1)
Last edit: 8 years 8 months ago by Newbflat.

More
8 years 8 months ago - 8 years 8 months ago #24224 by Ric
Replied by Ric on topic Wave deflector on the cheap.
Easy with a 2l Coke bottle B) :
  1. Cut off the bottom.
  2. Cut off the very top, leaving some of the section where it gets narrow.
  3. Cut in half length-ways.
  4. A bit more trimming for shape.
  5. Place on boat, bottom of bottle joining together pointing forwards.
  6. Lots of gaffer tape.

The more curve you can keep at the top of the front, the better it will hold together when diving into a trough.

Works a charm, good for a few downwinds & easy to replace.

I would never have bothered to upgrade if I hadn't won my own "real" defector.
Last edit: 8 years 8 months ago by Ric.

More
8 years 8 months ago #24225 by Ric

Ranga wrote: Usually made from 10mm EVA expanded foam rubber, basically your common old camping mattress.

Sounds interesting... How does this work?

More
8 years 8 months ago #24226 by Watto
Replied by Watto on topic Wave deflector on the cheap.
Ranga in our sort of conditions Perth, is there really any need for these? Maybe my shitty paddling but seems more water in the boat from waves lumping in from the side sometimes with SW behind and swell more westerly. I know it's poor paddling but getting bogged and over-run seems to fill the boat more than over the front of the cockpit.

More
8 years 8 months ago #24229 by Stew
Replied by Stew on topic Wave deflector on the cheap.

Newbflat wrote: "Mine on the other hand is Carbon fiber"... Sure it is.
... Doesn't exist until I see a picture.

Bill

You mean like this?? :)
Attachments:

More
8 years 8 months ago #24230 by Ranga
Replied by Ranga on topic Wave deflector on the cheap.
Even a liter of water adds 1kg to the weight of the ski, it just slows you down. And the longer it stays in the cockpit the more it slows you down. Pretty obvious!

More
8 years 8 months ago #24235 by Ric
So how do you make something that looks like Stew's deflector out of old rubber mattress? For the life of me I still can't figure that one out.

More
8 years 8 months ago #24236 by Watto
I'm taking the bait Ranga. If it's that obvious why doesn't everyone here paddle with one; why don't skis come with these built in because they are so necessary; why aren't these touted as essential after-market add-ons online or in retail outlets - which they are not?

For that matter given the speed that Epic bailers clear water at the touch of a foot, isn't it pretty obvious that these aren't really essential to clear a kilo or whatever of water?

If it's so obvious why aren't elite paddlers using these extensively? Yes I have seen a couple of videos of Oscar paddling with these, however from what I have seen they are more the exception rather than the rule. I won't launch into a weight-related argument given some boats come kilos heavier already at a given price point.

Maybe I'll open the ambit of my original question - would one be advantaged generally speaking by having a wave deflector? (If so Ranga, how much are yours? :laugh:)

More
8 years 8 months ago - 8 years 8 months ago #24238 by Ric
Right, Watto, let's go fishing. I'll rise to take your bait :unsure:

Watto wrote: If it's that obvious why doesn't everyone here paddle with one;

I can't comment for where you are, but they are quite common round here. Here being Fish Hoek, Cape Town. On a good downwind day, or a race day, you will see many boats with all manner of deflectors on them.

why don't skis come with these built in because they are so necessary;

• They get in the way.
  • They stick out and are likely to get caught on things and break.
  • They don't let the ski slide in and out of racks, or onto the roof of a car.
  • They are simple to add after-market.

why aren't these touted as essential after-market add-ons online or in retail outlets

They are available at our paddle shops and have been for years. Our ones look just like what Stew posted. Unfortunately mine is glass, not carbon - carbon looks so much cooler ;)

If it's so obvious why aren't elite paddlers using these extensively?

Well for one, Jasper Mocke uses one. He is the current champ. Maybe that counts for something.

would one be advantaged generally speaking by having a wave deflector?

IMHO, yes! I really do love using mine in anything bigger than 1m chop upwind, or 20knots downwind.

Upwind into chop they are great for keeping dry. Dry = light. Light = don't lose speed going upwind.

Downwind they are great when the nose digs into the wave in front. Preventing swamping, keeping momentum up.

In a double on a Millers Run, I'd almost say they are essential for a pair of mid-pack paddlers. That's where the Coke bottle version gets used mostly...

(not sure I would feel the same if I had one made out of floppy old mattress though...)
Last edit: 8 years 8 months ago by Ric.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Watto

More
8 years 8 months ago - 8 years 8 months ago #24243 by Physio
Replied by Physio on topic Wave deflector on the cheap.
Stew

Where can i get one of these??
Last edit: 8 years 8 months ago by Physio.

More
8 years 8 months ago #24244 by Nige
Replied by Nige on topic Wave deflector on the cheap.
To me, wave deflectors work in short steep chop like the Millers run mentioned. In many other areas such as the KZN east coast (Durban) they're not necessary as you seldom flood the cockpit going downwind, and very few people use them here.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rookie

More
8 years 8 months ago #24249 by Newbflat
While everyone works out if they needs one or not, I do. And at the moment it looks like it's ether make one in carbon fiber or drink a coke and use the bottle and nether sound ideal at the moment.

People pay a lot of money to shave a few pounds off there ski and that benifit is neutralized with something like two liters of water in the ski. One shot of water up the ski can dump ten times that into the ski in a second. Yes my bailer on my epic is super fast, but the more I don't need to open it the better, plus that water shooting into the cockpit happens just when you don't want it to so I would prefer to midagate what I can. I sometimes paddle in a place where a wave deflected would be quite handy, hence the question.

Bill

FENN Bluefin S
Epic V8 double gen 2

Had:
Stellar SR excel (gen2)
Stellar S18s g1 (excel)
Stellar SR (gen 1)
V10 sport (gen 2)
V10 (Gen 2)
Beater SEL (gen 1)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ric

More
8 years 8 months ago #24269 by waterbornewarrior
Bill: When you get down to the Gorge, ask JD to show you the one he made out of foam, pretty slick!

Don

More
8 years 8 months ago #24270 by zachhandler
Check out this awesome race video from cape town. Jasper, Dawid, Sean Rice, Van deWalt, Austin Keiffer, and many others have wave deflectors of various constructions.

Current Skis: Epic v10 g3, NK 670 double, NK exrcize, Kai Wa’a Vega, Carbonology Feather, Think Jet, Knysna Sonic X
Former Skis: Epic V12 g2, Epic V12 g1, Epic v10 double, Nelo 550 g2, Fenn Elite S, Custom Kayaks Synergy

More
8 years 8 months ago #24275 by Ric
In the opening sequence we see Jasper with a couple of pieces of foam on the sides of his seat.

Are these also deflectors? I haven't gotten around to asking about those.

More
8 years 8 months ago #24276 by Ric

waterbornewarrior wrote: When you get down to the Gorge, ask JD to show you the one he made out of foam, pretty slick!

These foam deflectors you guys keep talking about - are they in any way similar to the ones Stew photographed? And the Mockes use in the Millers video?

Or are they something different entirely?

The previous poster who claimed to make wave deflectors out of floppy camping mattress went very quiet when I asked him for more info...

More
8 years 8 months ago #24277 by Watto
Hey Rob at 3mins 30secs!. On topic - did you use a wave deflector - if not why not ? Would it have made a difference?

Off topic, couldn't do Mauritius this year, keen 2016. Do you do this each year ; is it feasible to travel to CT beforehand (want to do Millers Run)? Fck I love this sport.

More
8 years 8 months ago #24282 by [email protected]
Hey Watto!

On topic - did you use a wave deflector - if not why not ?

(If this is directed at me!)

Depends on the boat. I use a carbon formed deflector on my V10 Double and it's incredible effective at reducing the amount of water coming into the front cockpit.

I very seldom flood the cockpit on my Zest - it has a fair amount of volume in the nose and I just don't seem to nosedive very much in it.

is it feasible to travel to CT beforehand (want to do Millers Run)?

Not really because in winter we don't often get southeasters. In fact this winter there's not been much in the way of northwesters either - when we do reverse Millers Runs!

Do make the most of Cape Town, you really want to come over in summer when the southeaster blows most days. If you do ever come - we'll make sure you get your fill of downwinds! The Millers Run isn't the only one around - we could do a tour, Gordon's Bay to Monwabisi; Milnerton to Melkbos and of course the Millers!

All the best
Rob

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...

Latest Forum Topics