Possible to add foot straps to a boat?

More
8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #25578 by wrybread
I finally made the switch to my friend's old Huki S1-X and absolutely love the boat. It surfs ocean swells infinitely better than my old Fenn Mako XT (really old, still had the independent footwells), and the difference on a downwinder is almost the difference between a surfski and a kayak. I'm able to catch waves much easier and ride them sideways and everything is just better. Those re-entries are still a bit squirelly but I'll get it...

But the one thing I miss from my XT is the foot straps. I use my boat mostly for ocean wave surfing, and when I get tossed I can hold the boat with my feet by the footstraps. Now when I get tossed there's nothing to hold. Has anyone managed to add footstraps to a boat that didn't have them? Any tips?

I don't see how I'd add them since things look riveted down. Here's a pic of my footwell:
Attachments:
Last edit: 8 years 2 months ago by wrybread.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #25579 by Nige
Hi,

Probably the easiest solution is to add foot straps like the old lifesaving spec skis. Here is a picture of the foot straps on an old Hammerhead ski.

While they don't allow you to pull against them during the paddling stroke they will keep your feet attached to the ski in the event of a wipe out.
Attachments:
Last edit: 8 years 2 months ago by Nige.

More
8 years 2 months ago #25582 by Ranga
Ski without foot straps? Never heard of that, suppose you get that from manufacturers that know better. I think they might have them now!
As for fitting straps, not so easy for the layman. You have to have support for the fixings. The fiberglass is not enough strength by itself it needs internal plates of some sort.

More
8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #25586 by Fath2o
Don't know about best way to add foot straps to that well used/loved Huki, but,
I'm still enjoying surfing my old, well loved XT. Thought I'd share some recent pictures of
surfing inside our harbor entrance that was/is officially closed by the Coast Guard.
Yee-Haw!
(In the first pic check out the crest of the wave above the breakwater)
Attachments:
Last edit: 8 years 2 months ago by Fath2o.

More
8 years 2 months ago #25587 by wrybread
Good tip Nige. I'm a bit worried about pressure on the boat since I've had a few wipeouts in my previous boat that pulled really hard on the strap to the point that I stretched it. But I guess no biggie, its not like its exactly a pristine boat if some damage should occur...

@Ranga: I think the straps were removed by the previous owner.

@Fath20: Don't get me wrong, I still love surfing my old XT, and you definitely saved the day with the recommendation for the bigger rudder. But I have to say I have a lot more control on waves with the S1x. I think the biggie is that the rudder is moved so much farther forward compared to the XT (in my older model at least) so it doesn't pop out of the water on waves and generally bites harder and with more control. Also the lightness of the boat is nice, it catches waves a lot easier. Not that that's a problem on the XT, but its nice to get some two stroke takeoffs, and the rides feel a bit more glide-y.

But the biggest difference is in down winders, where the waves aren't necessarily easy to catch. It catches waves soooo much easier, and the result is that for the first time I'm consistently linking rides and surfing most of the time as opposed to sprint paddling most of the time. Part of that is probably just that I'm getting better but I think a big factor is the boat itself. And another advantage on down winders is that I can surf sideways on the waves without broaching. That really helps when the wind isn't in the exact direction I need to go, so I can catch waves and cut right or left to adjust. That just wasn't possible on my XT, I think because of the rudder placement (with the short period waves the rudder would pop out and I'd lose control) and I'd have to spend a good amount of time side paddling. Which really sucked when I'd be doing a downwinder with someone on a SUP since they can surf sideways very well, and the last thing I want to do is concede any advantage to a SUP... (Mostly just kidding there, I SUP too but so far only on waves).

I'm keeping the XT around as a boat to get people into surfski. Its so awesome for that since its so stable and easily adjustable for different paddler heights. But who knows, I'll probably paddle it in a couple of months and remember how much I miss it and switch back.

More
8 years 2 months ago #25589 by Fath2o
Wrybread, it's good to hear your enjoying the S1-X and riding waves. I recently had an opportunity to paddle the new version S1-R. Super stable, real comfortable seat, and for me, rides waves like a surfboard. Having the rudder farther forward makes a big difference. Unfortunately there were a couple things I didn't care for about it.
If you haven't already, you might want to contact Jude @ Huki about the foot straps.
Anyway, have fun and good luck.

More
8 years 2 months ago #25590 by Hiro
Don't have a pic to show, but I've seen people riveting straps to the pedals...

More
8 years 2 months ago #25591 by wrybread
@Fath2o:

> S1-R is super stable

Do you know how wide the one you tried is? I don't know the deets of the various models of the S1-X yet, but mine is 17" wide, versus 19" wide for my XT. Those 2 inches are a huuuuge difference in stability, for me at least, and its the big thing that delayed my transition to the S1-X for awhile. The re-entries are tough! I was on a down winder this weekend in winds pushing 35 knots and for the first time in ages I had two consecutive failed re-entry attempts. Spooky when way out in the middle of nowhere! Thank god for leashes!

@Hiro: good idea...

More
8 years 2 months ago #25592 by Fath2o
According to Huki website; the new generation S!-R is 18.5" x 19'11". Seemed easily as stable as XT and probably faster. I didn't paddle very far but, it picked up runs easily and was incredibly maneuverable and user friendly. On breaking waves I could pretty much do bottom turns and cutbacks to some degree and I did not notice any tendency to broach.
The things I didn't like is it pounded/slapped upwind and the nose would go completely under water easily with a lot of water streaming up in the air. Seemed even worse than XT.
In the really severe downwinds I prefer my EVO just because of the added volume in the nose. I fear a catastrophic pitchpole in the XT. You have to realize that I am 220 lbs.
so probably not a problem for lighter blokes. I have given up on elite 17" boats. I'd rather be in a boat that I don't even think about falling out of. When you say re-entries I assume you mean climbing back in your ski, re-mount is a pretty common term on this forum and wasn't quite sure what you meant the first time you used it. (re-entry means something completely different to an old surfer dude). Yes and re-entries/re-mounts are a total bitch on a skinny deep ski in rough water. The XT is probably one of the easiest.
Have fun!

More
8 years 2 months ago #25593 by wrybread

The things I didn't like is it pounded/slapped upwind and the nose would go completely under water easily with a lot of water streaming up in the air. Seemed even worse than XT.

That's interesting. So far I feel like my SX-1 is better at avoiding pearling than my XT, because it has a bit of rocker right at the nose. Its odd and almost looks likes an afterthought, the whole boat just curves up at the nose. I've never seen anything like it in a surfski before, but then again I don't think I've looked that closely. And it maneuvers surprisingly well with the nose underwater, I'd say a notch better than my XT. As with my XT it spends a lot of time submerged.

I fear a catastrophic pitchpole in the XT.

Ha there's a thought. I havn't really considered it happening, since I've had some fun fun fun vertical takeoffs on my XT with the nose shooting straight down and so far so good on pitch poling.

You have to realize that I am 220 lbs.

Me too.

I have given up on elite 17" boats. I'd rather be in a boat that I don't even think about falling out of.

I hear you, but I'm finding that there's lots of advantages to the 17" boat. And my theory is you get used to anything. Remember how tippy your 19" XT felt at first? I sure do, and now it feels like a rock. The S1-X is getting there for me too.

When you say re-entries I assume you mean climbing back in your ski, re-mount

Aha, and yes, I mean re-mount.

Latest Forum Topics