If I capsize with stuck foot strap, do I remain submerged?

More
6 years 1 month ago #30967 by SpaceSputnik
Hi All

In anticipation of my first season, I am trying to mentally work through various aspects of paddling a surfski. One question that is on my mind is this:
Let's say I am on a flat water, lose balance, wipeout and my feet get stuck in the foot strap. Do I still float up to the side still attached to the boat? Wearing a PFD obviously.
I know that in a sea kayak you pretty much need to roll or wet exit because there is no way mechanically to have your upper body at the surface with your lower body attached at the waist. Not sure how it works with a surfski since even with feet attached the rest of the body seems a lot freer.

This is basically a hypothetical worst case scenario that I might encounter. I understand that I am supposed to slip out of the strap easily (wearing neoprene booties makes it a bit harder perhaps). I also understand that in dynamic conditions being attached to a boat which is tossed around is a bad situation, but this not quite my scenario. I am talking about calm water.
If it matters, the ski in question is Epic V7.

Thank you.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 1 month ago #30968 by tve
The foot strap should not be tight. Come to think of it, I'm not sure why there even is a footstrap (other than to hold a GPS thingie). You gain nothing in terms of performance by pulling on the footstrap with your feet. I'm probably missing something :-)

More
6 years 1 month ago - 6 years 1 month ago #30969 by SpaceSputnik
Yes, I am aware of what Oscar Chalupsky says about it and that other people may have different opinions etc.
I am just trying to understand the rescue mechanics of this boat even if the scenario is purely hypothetical.
Last edit: 6 years 1 month ago by SpaceSputnik.

More
6 years 1 month ago #30970 by tve
Others have more experience than I do, but my foot strap is a solid bridge and there are several cm distance to my foot. I can't imagine how I'd get stuck there. Even if I did I don't imagine how it would prevent me from getting to the surface given how tipsy the ski is. Overall, this scenario is the least of my worries...

More
6 years 1 month ago #30971 by SpaceSputnik
Well admittedly I am trying to work though some personal anxieties so the question might appear a little odd.

Anyway. It's not just a strap question. I will most likely start my season in a drysuit which requires somewhat oversized neoprene booties to protect suits socks. On a V7 the strap is soft but fairly narrow so large booties can still get caught a bit here and there. Knowing that even if they get stuck I will still come up (or perhaps not even submerge fully) means a great deal for me right now. If I am floating I can sort things out without a time limit unlike a kayak capsize scenario where not being detach a skirt for whatever reason is...well, you know, bad :D

More
6 years 1 month ago #30972 by kwolfe
I would say practice a few times but being in a dry suit, you aren't going to want to get wet. You pfd (depending on how big) will float you up a bit, however if you are nervous just take the footstrap off. It won't hurt until things get warmer and you have a real chance to practice remounts.

That being said, if I were you and new to paddling, I would find some shallow water and just sit in the ski. Try rocking it side to side and find the point of now return before you even head out. Drysuits are good, but not knowing how to remount can get a little dangerous.

More
6 years 1 month ago - 6 years 1 month ago #30973 by SpaceSputnik
My plan is exactly that, get to the shallow water and get the remount sorted out first. I don't see much issue doing in a drysuit even. It's just a little extra bulk and my upper body is strong so I am willing to try that. Curious why do you say that I will not want to get wet in a drysuit?
I am not entirely new to paddling. Did some sea kayaking and practed wet exits, self rescues. Never learned to roll but other than that reasonably proficient.
Last edit: 6 years 1 month ago by SpaceSputnik.

More
6 years 1 month ago #30974 by wesley
Good question. My pet peeve.

I have had this happen several times when I was new to surfskis or paddled a ski with double footstrap that was comfortable(not tight) but once I capsized, one foot was caught in the footstrap and I was hanging on to the ski like a cowboy struck in a stirrup being drag by a horse for about 15 seconds that feels like an eternity. So I have replaced all double footstraps to singles to avoid this for every ski I have owned. I use stiff footstraps that I made myself or had made or used another strap that was used for another purpose.
At this point in the lifecycle of surfskis, not sure why manufacturers have not come up with a great footstrap that is stiff, adjustable, does not flop ever even with a Garmin attached therefore making reentry easier. the ones I use are seatbelt material with a neoprene cover, and are stiff. If you put a piece of plastic in a sleeve it will make it even stiffer. Not hard and not expensive. Stellar relies on a double footstrap that sits too low on the footplate, Epic are still floppy( i replaced mine on my V12 2G, Think uses a double that is not user friendly, Nelo uses a floppy one but has the hard one too that in some cases in useful. I am currently replacing mine on my 550L and on my 560M. Replacing a footstrap can be a 2 minute switchout or with Epic can take longer since the strap is intergrated into the footplate. The Think skis and the Stellars are the easiest( 2min) job.
For years I bought many Lincke Footstraps from Ocean Paddle sports but Mr. Lincke stop making them 7 or 8 years ago. I desperately tried to get Stellar to offer both but, the single was too floppy to be useful. I did have 4 made up personally from Stellar but that was a one off. Someone could probably sell quite a few if they had them made up for the various skis, similar to what Don K (DK rudders) did by manufacturing rudders for all the skis, since we got tired of the manufacturers dragging their feet on proper rudders for various conditions.
Lastly, SpaceSpunick, you should practice with a bombproof leg leash or paddle leash, since that is what will save you life along with getting back in your ski in 3 tries or less on either side. Should not be problem on a V7.

Wesley Echols
SurfskiRacing.com
#1 in Surfski Reviews.

More
6 years 1 month ago #30975 by PSwitzer
In flat water with PFD you will be totally fine and will pop right up with plenty of time to contemplate your situation.

My personal PFD anecdote: I paddle in Hawaii where culturally we generally don't use them. I signed up for US Ski Champs which required it. On my first long training run at home wearing PFD, I took off on huge steep wave (mistake) which broke in deep water like it was in a surf zone. Boat speared straight into blue water like I was a pelican diving for fish. Everything went black as the foam rumbled overhead for a while then I popped to the surface- body had spun 360 degrees like drill bit, locking my feet in the strap. PFD kept me floating head up in the crackling foam while I sorted myself out and figured out which way I had to spin to un-lock, which was no problem. Amazed to find boat/ paddle/ everything unscathed and finished the run, adrenalized, as a new PFD believer.

On a side note, on the very rare occasions I capsize, and I'm not in the surf zone close to shore, I stiffen up my feet to hang onto the strap so I stay with the boat. Big breaking offshore waves can snap leash no problem so I don't want to rely on the leash. Had my leash broke in the aforementioned situation and I lost the boat I would have had a mile long swim... just one reason to use a strap in the first place.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Hiro

More
6 years 1 month ago #30976 by SpaceSputnik
"In flat water with PFD you will be totally fine and will pop right up with plenty of time to contemplate your situation."

Awesome, that was what I was looking to hear.
I took some generic boating courses as well as a certification class in seas kayaking so the need to wear a PFD was pounded in me really hard. Wouldn't be without it ever. In sea kayaks, however a PFD is only a part of the story. You still can tuck the skirt loop under inadvertently or wear heavy gloves like Glaciers without realizing that grabbing that loop with them on is not easy due to the lack of feel in the fingers. Failing to detach by the loop leaves you only a couple of more difficult options which I never felt like exploring while submerged.

More
6 years 1 month ago #30978 by davgdavg

PSwitzer wrote:
My personal PFD anecdote: I paddle in Hawaii where culturally we generally don't use them.

I'm actually against wearing a PFD in the surf for reasons related to what you said. The problem is that in the surf a PFD will keep your head above water no matter what is coming at you- including a boat or person. You can't duck-dive and that is a big problem to me.

I think if one is as decent a swimmer (as one should be if playing in the ocean), and there is surf, it is actually much safer to be without a PFD. If you are worried then IMO a helmet is a much more practical and safer safety choice.

The only time I would want a PFD in the surf zone is maybe +8 feet Hawaiian (16-20 foot faces), but lets be honest, nobody is paddling in those conditions except maybe at a point break type situation where the risk is minimal.

Of course, this gets into an ethos question. I grew up with old-schoolers and have that mindset. Be a decent waterman first; learn to get comfortable in the water. Otherwise you are a danger to everyone including yourself. Nowadays too many people just head out and think a PFD or a lifeguard will save them.

As for footstraps, I think they help a lot. When you are driving with your leg, the other leg/knee needs to come up and exerts pressure on the strap. It also helps going over surf or in choppy conditions. And its totally invaluable if you broach and have to throw one leg over the side, because otherwise you are coming out.

If you are in flat conditions and not leg driving, I can see that apparently they would be of no use.

Regardless, don't worry about getting stuck in the footstrap. But even so, you should be able to remain underwater unexpectedly for at least 10-15 seconds or so IMO.

More
6 years 1 month ago #30979 by kwolfe

SpaceSputnik wrote: Curious why do you say that I will not want to get wet in a drysuit?

It's not a bad thing at all. I'm in Pennsylvania US and I try and paddle all year unless the water is frozen, or its below 24 degrees and windy (hard to keep warm). I wear a wet suit, 4mm booties, and poggies. I have had mine hands in 32 degree water and its fairly unpleasant for any length of time. Neoprene gloves would help but I don't like paddling with them.

Sounds like you have a good plan in place. I hope you enjoy your V7. It's actually on my list of skis to get one day for our shallow water rivers and creeks.

More
6 years 1 month ago #30980 by SpaceSputnik

More
6 years 1 month ago #30981 by SpaceSputnik
Well for one thing PFDs are mandatory in Ontario.
Cold water is always a concern even in summer. Swimming to shore in a drysuit without one....mmm, no thanks :)

More
6 years 1 month ago #30982 by nwsurfskier
It's important to be confident in your remount. Practice first in flat water remounting from both sides. Move onto rougher water / wind and keep practicing. Knowing your can remount in all conditions makes paddling safer and more enjoyable.

More
6 years 1 month ago #30983 by SpaceSputnik
So, if I felt like a doing a mod to my V7...Am I basically looking to repeat the shape of the existing straps with something more rigid and sitting an inch or so from my feet and adjustable? Kinda makes me think of the stirrups used on stationary exercise bikes.

wesley wrote: Good question. My pet peeve.

I have had this happen several times when I was new to surfskis or paddled a ski with double footstrap that was comfortable(not tight) but once I capsized, one foot was caught in the footstrap and I was hanging on to the ski like a cowboy struck in a stirrup being drag by a horse for about 15 seconds that feels like an eternity. So I have replaced all double footstraps to singles to avoid this for every ski I have owned. I use stiff footstraps that I made myself or had made or used another strap that was used for another purpose.
At this point in the lifecycle of surfskis, not sure why manufacturers have not come up with a great footstrap that is stiff, adjustable, does not flop ever even with a Garmin attached therefore making reentry easier. the ones I use are seatbelt material with a neoprene cover, and are stiff. If you put a piece of plastic in a sleeve it will make it even stiffer. Not hard and not expensive. Stellar relies on a double footstrap that sits too low on the footplate, Epic are still floppy( i replaced mine on my V12 2G, Think uses a double that is not user friendly, Nelo uses a floppy one but has the hard one too that in some cases in useful. I am currently replacing mine on my 550L and on my 560M. Replacing a footstrap can be a 2 minute switchout or with Epic can take longer since the strap is intergrated into the footplate. The Think skis and the Stellars are the easiest( 2min) job.
For years I bought many Lincke Footstraps from Ocean Paddle sports but Mr. Lincke stop making them 7 or 8 years ago. I desperately tried to get Stellar to offer both but, the single was too floppy to be useful. I did have 4 made up personally from Stellar but that was a one off. Someone could probably sell quite a few if they had them made up for the various skis, similar to what Don K (DK rudders) did by manufacturing rudders for all the skis, since we got tired of the manufacturers dragging their feet on proper rudders for various conditions.
Lastly, SpaceSpunick, you should practice with a bombproof leg leash or paddle leash, since that is what will save you life along with getting back in your ski in 3 tries or less on either side. Should not be problem on a V7.

More
6 years 1 month ago #30984 by WingSuit
Ocean Paddle Sports footstrap cover. Thick neoprene fastens with Velcro. $15. Soft, and keeps the footstrap from flopping around. Makes it easier to get feet under it.

More
6 years 1 month ago #30985 by SpaceSputnik

WingSuit wrote: Ocean Paddle Sports footstrap cover. Thick neoprene fastens with Velcro. $15. Soft, and keeps the footstrap from flopping around. Makes it easier to get feet under it.

Thats what my V7 has.

More
6 years 1 month ago #30986 by WingSuit
Since you have a poly boat, and you live in inland Canada, maybe you could take it to a pool that has kayak time in order to perfect your remounts and getcused to falling off with footstraps on. Remounting the skinniest ski, by the way, is far easier than learning to roll.

More
6 years 1 month ago #30987 by SpaceSputnik

WingSuit wrote: Since you have a poly boat, and you live in inland Canada, maybe you could take it to a pool that has kayak time in order to perfect your remounts and getcused to falling off with footstraps on. Remounting the skinniest ski, by the way, is far easier than learning to roll.

I am looking into it. Not that easy as it has to be when a class is underway and not 100% booked. Realistically, driving half and hour to lake Ontario and sploshing around near shore will be easier.

Latest Forum Topics