Plastic ski owners - how do you carry your boat to water?

More
6 years 1 week ago - 6 years 1 week ago #31258 by SpaceSputnik
I have been doing various prep things in anticipation of my first season with my V7.
One thing that has been on my mind is what is the best way to get this 50lb+ rig to water from the car? I really rather not mess with carts and things and be able to do it in one trip.
I tried lifting it a few times and find it pretty awkward so far. The strength is not an issue, but rather the awkwardness. I am 5'6".
So, I was wondering if anybody has any tips how to grab it the best way. I guess the simplest is just to carry it like a bucket of water with the right hand and the the paddle with the left.

I do have a cart, but it's too big and heavy to pack in a hatch. As a worst case I guess I could chain in to a tree near a put-in, but again if I could avoid that it'd be best.

Thanks!
Last edit: 6 years 1 week ago by SpaceSputnik.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 1 week ago #31260 by tve
Ouch, that thing is 53 lbs! I have a nelo 510, which weighs 10lbs less and I can sling it over my shoulder, i.e., hook my shoulder into the sidewall of the seat well and then hold the ski using the moulded handle that ends up just in front of my shoulder. It's a bit hard on the shoulder for long distances but so far has been fine from car to launch.
If I were you I would look into SUP carrying slings. They seem to start ~$20 on Amazon... worth a try...

More
6 years 1 week ago - 6 years 1 week ago #31262 by SpaceSputnik
Coincidentally just ordered a SUP sling :)
Last edit: 6 years 1 week ago by SpaceSputnik.

More
6 years 1 week ago #31263 by SpaceSputnik
I could hook my shoulder as well, but the problem is that holding a handle makes me bent my wrist a lot. Maybe if I could rig up a looser handle...

More
6 years 1 week ago #31265 by Hueychief
FNG here,
Just bought an Epic V7 also and was wondering the same thing.
Ordered a SUP sling myself.
Thx

More
6 years 1 week ago #31266 by LakeMan
I find a strap twice around the ski and over the shoulder to work best. My ski is 28 lbs so the weight is nothing but when the slightest wind gets ahold of it it could easily slam the ground. If you have a boat ramp just drop your V7 off with no paddle. Unless you live in an area known for MS13 activity you should be fine for a few minutes.

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill

More
6 years 1 week ago #31267 by SpaceSputnik
No boat ramps where I paddle, but the area is protected so wind should not be an issue. I carried a kayak of the same weight around there, the only issue was fatigue, so I started using a cart. Which I still can do with a smaller cart I guess, just more hassle.

More
6 years 1 week ago #31274 by SpaceSputnik
Received the sling today. Well....not that great. Only marginally easier than carrying with one hand.
The easiest so far is to carry it sidewall on the shoulder, but the key to this to face towards the stern with those boats. Which is a good thing since you are be seeing where your rudder is.
Small cart is still an option that I want to explore. The one I used to have should fit in the hatch and is very light.

More
6 years 1 week ago #31278 by Trab3113
Prior to running a lengthy race I installed a thicker bungee cord under the grommets behind the seat. This allowed more handle authority for when I have items in the hatch which tends to shift the balance rearward. Being that it is a plastic boat I typically will drag across grass or dirt, but I bought the boat specifically for its durability in that aspect. It is a year old and there is enough oyster rash it doesn't present an issue. I've also balance the boat on my head getting it off the top of the SUV, over to some grass and let it down onto my shoulder, then set it down from there. Heavy no. Awkward agreed. Once I'm on the water I don't think about it. Small trade off for being able to run through rocks, over logs, or other things that would make a carbon boat pilot cringe and possibly sink.

More
6 years 1 week ago #31280 by SpaceSputnik
I also like the durability aspect. I am used to a plastic kayak which I could throw around with little care.
It's not the weight per se, I agree, but the distribution over 17ft of lenght.
While on the shoulder it feels pretty ok. It's probably the case when a bit of a skill needs to develop and I am thinking it will not be as bad as it seems now.

Loading on the top of my van is taken care with a Malone Telos side loader so I don't need to lift it up. Which I wouldn't be able to anyway given my short height and a relatively tall vehicle.

More
6 years 1 week ago #31281 by LakeMan
There's something to be said for heavy plastic skis. It was windy at the lake yesterday (gusts up to 20 knots) so I dropped my ski off at the bottom of the hill instead of carrying it down as usual. The wind wasn't terrible but it tends to catch a light ski and cause it to be a bit tough to carry. I parked to car up the hill and as I was hiking down the wind caught my ski, lifted it in the air and threw it across the asphalt. I nearly had a heart attack. I ran down the hill to stop any further acrobatic stunts. Thankfully the ski was undamaged. Kevlar/carbon blends are not the toughest composites when it comes to direct hits and the rudder took quite a slamming but my Think held tight.
The 12 mile paddle went well except I couldn't get the somersaults my ski did out of my head.

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill

More
6 years 1 week ago #31283 by Trab3113
Wind flipping. Happened to a V8 Pro Ultra with not so great results. It was repairable but it went from brand new to heavily used with a 25 mph gust. Lengthwise cracks in the cockpit area. Very visible repairs.

V7 could be easier to carry with a little weight on the bow end. Had to drag one up a 15 ft. high washed out river bank that was awfully sticky slick. The 15 mile paddle beforehand was likely less effort. Still love the durability and it really is a small price for the extra workout.

Also, for those that get the irritating pinhole stains.....Oxyclean. Work up a slurry in a car brush, scrub the boat, and leave it to dry into a silt-like haze for 24-48 hours. Scrub it off with water or a little more Oxyclean. Boat will look new. 303 and you're golden.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Hueychief

More
6 years 1 week ago #31296 by LakeMan
I feel your pain Trab.

Thanks for the info on the Oxyclean.

More
6 years 1 week ago #31316 by Hueychief
Should be receiving my V7 tomorrow and looking forward to trying the SUP sling and a few other ways to carry it. Also have a trailer used to pull behind a bicycle that will probably need to be lengthened.
Thanks for the tip on OxyClean.

More
5 years 11 months ago - 5 years 11 months ago #31462 by SpaceSputnik
Went out with the V7 for the first time today. I don't think I need anything to carry it. Stern forward on the shoulder works just fine. In fact, easier than when two people carry it by the handles. Paddle in the other hand, works fine. Wouldn't want to hike 2 miles like this but from car to water is no problem.
Last edit: 5 years 11 months ago by SpaceSputnik.

Latest Forum Topics