How to use a Braca XI Van Dusen '92 705 19K paddle?

More
5 years 11 months ago #31400 by d0uglass
I lent my recently-acquired Epic v12 to a surfski-curious SUP buddy for two days while I rested my chafed rear.

At some point the buddy lost my big old Epic paddle, or had it stolen from his truck bed. It's unclear.

But it's all good (I think) because before I even knew he had lost my paddle, he bought me a brand new Braca XI Van Dusen '92 705 19K paddle, which I am sure is worth much more than the old beater Epic.

I used the Braca on our flatwater river course today and it felt different. I liked the shaft shape and grip better than on the Epic paddle, but I had an extra hard time figuring out what the paddle wanted to do in the water and how to get a secure pull on it. I think the paddle is smarter than I am.

Just now I read on the Braca website that the XI paddle requires a different than usual technique, and that the 705 is the smallest size. And I searched some older threads on this forum that said the paddle was great for advanced paddlers with a high cadence. That's kind of discouraging, since I haven't even learned to paddle a "normal" wing paddle properly yet. Am I screwed, or is it just going to take me a couple sessions to get used to this paddle? If I bump up the cadence will things click into place?

On SUP I like to use a small blade and high cadence now, but in the beginning I was more comfortable with a big blade and slightly lower cadence. Is it like that with surfski, too? Does lengthening the paddle shaft help when using a blade that might be a bit too small?

Thanks!

Stellar SEI 1g

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 11 months ago #31402 by Atlas
You’re definitely not screwed d0uglass. You will get some better answers than I can give you but different paddles are good for different conditions. FWIW most ski paddlers will end up with more paddles than skis and most of us have too many skis. I don’t think the Braca XI is the most confidence inspiring paddle ever made but once you have the hang of it it’s a pretty high performance piece of kit. You like a challenge don’t you?

Current boats
Epic V10L Ultra, Epic V9 Ultra, Carbonology Sport Boost X LV, Fenn Bluefin, Nelo 510, Fenn XT double, Nelo 600, Expedition Kayaks Azure, Mirage 732.
Previous boats
Spirit PRS, Fenn Swordfish, Fenn XT, Fenn Swordfish S, Think Zen, Epic V10L Club, Carbonology Sport Boost LV

More
5 years 11 months ago #31405 by [email protected]

You like a challenge don’t you?

Have to say, I agree with this!

Just as there were many suggestions to try an easier, boat, IMHO the same goes for the paddle. I'm not sure about the comment that "most ski paddlers will end up with more paddles than skis"...! I started with a Set Endorphin many years ago, moved to a Fenn IV and rapidly to the Epic mid-wing, which I've used for about ten years now and I see no need to change.

The great thing about the Epic (for me) is that it's very easy to use blade. Once planted, it stays in position, no twisting or wriggling as it comes back.

As long as you're having fun, go for it, but if you're feeling frustrated or distracted by the paddle, I'd strongly recommend an easier-to-use blade like the Epic.

(Also something like the mid-wing, being a smaller paddle, is good for ski paddling because it doesn't tire you out as quickly as a big sprinter's blade.)

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...

More
5 years 11 months ago #31409 by ccchappell
Hi Douglass,

I'm the Braca Distributor for the US and have lots of experience with the XI as well as many other paddles. Yes I'm biased, but I believe the XI is worth trying out, for any paddler - even if early in your experience. It is slightly more sensitive to blade angle at the catch then some of the less twist blades, but for many paddlers can be very rewarding and offer large range of cadence/speed. If you want to reach out to me directly, We could spend some time discussing how the blade may work for you, giving you some ideas to try. Often just a few "pointers" will make a huge difference. This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Thanks
Chris Chappell
Braca US Distributor

More
5 years 11 months ago #31410 by kwolfe
I would definitely give Chris a call for sure. Couldn't meet a nicer guy who has a lot of paddling knowledge.

I have not had a Braca but currently had an Epic Mid, Epic small mid and a Maxpaddle Jtech (high twist blade like the Braca).

You are right. They feel very different in the water. I got mine not long after I had picked up s Stellar SEL (like you V12) and though I like the paddle, it is not as forgiving as the Epics are. Yes, it can be very efficient at high cadences but when you are trying to focus on your balance, you may want to add another paddle to you arsenal just for the days when the V12 is enough of a challenge.

There is one here for sale $250.
Epic Small Mid

More
5 years 11 months ago #31411 by d0uglass
Second session on the paddle today and it felt much more comfortable this time. I.e., no more awkward than the Epic wing had felt for me. Whew! Putting tape marks on the shaft so my hands wouldn't wander in helped. I still have lots to learn, obviously, but I don't think this paddle is going to give me any additional handicap beyond the handicap I've given myself by starting on a way-too-advanced boat.

Stellar SEI 1g

More
5 years 11 months ago #31417 by agooding2
I have the same paddle in the same size at Chris' suggestion. I moved from an old Legend paddle that was too big and long for me. I adapted quickly, key is to let it go out to the side, not try and keep it close to the boat. Then it is rock solid and I can paddle 6 miles at a strong clip or 10 or more at a steady pace without my arms getting overly tired.

Nelo 550L, Streuer Fejna, Nelo Viper 55
Braca XI 705 EL blade, 17K shaft
Braca XI 675 marathon blade, 19K shaft
Braca IV 670 soft blade, 19K shaft
The following user(s) said Thank You: d0uglass

Latest Forum Topics