Surf ski Foot plate options for fixed ankle / foot

More
5 years 11 months ago #31467 by Kennewby
Hi Has anyone come up with a design for the foot plate pedals in a situation where the ankle and toes are not able to move? Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 11 months ago #31468 by [email protected]
Please give a bit more background: is this on one side only, or both legs?

We do have surfski paddlers with prosthetic legs, I can ask them.

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...

More
5 years 11 months ago #31469 by Kennewby
Mine is only the right ankle... Leg is 4cm shorter than left. Thanks for the reply.

More
5 years 11 months ago #31470 by [email protected]
Sorry to keep asking questions, but just to be sure - is it simply that one leg is shorter, or do you lack ankle and toe mobility as well?

Greg Barton (yep, that Greg Barton, CEO of Epic) has one leg shorter than the other - and he builds up the footplate and rudder pedal on that side so that he can steer.

And I also have a friend, "Steel" Neal who lost a leg to a shark incident. I'm not sure how he manages, but I've sent him a message to ask.

Rob

Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...

More
5 years 11 months ago #31471 by Kennewby
Hi Rob.. No problem... The leg that is shorter has no movement in the ankle,foot and toes. We tried to build up the moving part of the foot plate but it did not feet comfortable... So was wondering if anyone has any other idea. Regards

More
5 years 11 months ago - 5 years 11 months ago #31472 by [email protected]
Ok, my buddy Neal doesn't use anything special, his prosthetic leg works fine with the standard footplate and pedals.

You could use a bungie (elastic) to provide tension on the rudder so that you can steer just with one rudder pedal.

Here's a couple of (horrible) photos of the setup that I created for my Evo II - as a safety measure in case of rudder line failure. You can see the bungie attached to the handle on the tail of the boat. It's hooked on to one side of the rudder bar so that there's tension on that side. So now I can steer using the rudder pedal on that side only, pulling against the tension of the bungie.

Rob

Attachments:
Last edit: 5 years 11 months ago by [email protected].

More
5 years 11 months ago #31474 by Kennewby
Thanks Rob.... Interesting thought the bungie...

More
5 years 11 months ago #31479 by kwolfe
If you foot a foot strap on the "good foot" side pedal, you could rig a system to push for one direction and pull for another. All you would have to do is link the peddles together to work together.

More
5 years 11 months ago #31480 by Kennewby
Thanks - well worth looking into....

Latest Forum Topics