Comparisons; Epic V8 vs Revo 3

More
5 years 11 months ago #31485 by DrA5
Anyone paddle both? Comparisons in bucket size/shape, responsiveness, foot height, stability, glide, etc??

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 11 months ago #31503 by bullittxs
R3 way faster but more unstable. The r3 has a pretty deep bucket with high side walls. V8 is a pretty much do it all ski great for big runners.
Foot position pretty similar and very light and responsive.
I was say the r3 leans more to the intermediate ski
Hope this helps
The following user(s) said Thank You: lov2play, DrA5

More
5 years 11 months ago #31528 by DrA5
Replied by DrA5 on topic Comparisons; Epic V8 vs Revo 3
It does help. Thank you. I am curious as to bucket fit, and with the deeper sides in the Revo 3, it probably fit more like the second Gen V10 Sport I had, where you sit "in" it more than "on" it, like the new gen V8. I notice wave breaching over the sides into the bucket more with the V8 than I did with the V10 Sport.

The Revo 3 would probably then stack up more like the V8 Pro or even the V10 Sport based on your observations.

More
5 years 11 months ago #31541 by Alanshunter
Hi, the information that was supplied earlier is really pretty accurate with regards to the V8 pro and Revo R3 comparison.
The Revo is stable but it's more like a v8 pro + if that makes sense.
To say that it fits roughly in there is still a bit astonishing considering the 48cm width of the Revo R3.
Ordinarily that width would firmly place this ski into the Intermediate category but due to the innovative hull design it's stability is enhanced much closer to the pros stability area which I'd place as improver / intermediate.
There is a Revo R4 currently undergoing pre production trials and I'd hope that it would more aptly fit into the segment that the current V8 sits.
That said the Revo R4 will I think be more of a "full length ski" in the region of 6m so it could have a little flat water speed thrown into the mix.
I've no real experience with the V8 so I can't directly comment on it.
I did though previously own a v8 pro and my current ski is a Revo R3.
I do have an interest in Revo as Im the UK importer but I'm trying to be as objective as I can and I'll only give a personal opinion if it relates to skis I've actually owned and paid for.
I'm more than happy to help with any other Revo related queries.

• Big fella
  • Visitor
5 years 1 month ago #33623 by Big fella
Replied by Big fella on topic Comparisons; Epic V8 vs Revo 3
Is there a r4 coming? 

More
5 years 1 month ago - 5 years 1 month ago #33624 by [email protected]

Is there a r4 coming? 

Yes, I just saw on the Revo Kayaks Facebook page:

Revo Kayaks  Yes R 4 will be coming , after extensive testing it will be 570 long - only the R 1 will remain at 560 , the R 2 , R3 and R4 is 570

See this post from January:

www.facebook.com/revokayaks/posts/773114949718042

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...
Last edit: 5 years 1 month ago by [email protected].

• Big fella
  • Visitor
5 years 1 month ago #33626 by Big fella
Replied by Big fella on topic Comparisons; Epic V8 vs Revo 3
Would anyone know the dimensions of the revo R4 surfski? 

More
5 years 1 month ago #33629 by [email protected]

Would anyone know the dimensions of the revo R4 surfski? 

I just got off the phone with Greg de Beyer and he said the dimensions of the boats 
BoatWidth (Cockpit)Width (Chines)Length (Long version)Length (Short version)
R1430mm260mm6.35m5.60m
R2450mm280mm6.35m5.7m
R3480mm390mm5.75m
R4500mm440mm5.75m

The R3 and R4 will "probably" only be offered in the short hull versions.

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...

• MCImes
  • Visitor
5 years 1 month ago - 5 years 1 month ago #33632 by MCImes
Replied by MCImes on topic Comparisons; Epic V8 vs Revo 3
To anyone who has paddled these, how does the very flat, very hard chine hull feel compared to a standard  intermediate ski hull (say, an R3 compared to a XT, SR, or V10S).

How do these things compare?
-Initial stability (how much, where it kicks in)
-Secondary stability (how much, where it kicks in)
-Handling in slop (how do the hard chines react to sloppy washing machine waves compared to a more traditional round-ish hull?)
-Speed compared to an equal width boat
-Wave  surfing (how easily does it pick up a wave)
-Maneuverability on a wave (is it 'locked in' or free?)
-Ergonomics (are you 'in' or 'on' the Revo's? Feet below butt?)
Last edit: 5 years 1 month ago by MCImes. Reason: horrible spelling

More
5 years 1 month ago #33699 by Fath2o
Marcus, you may want to look at reviews of the Think Legend. The Legend is, I believe, a similar hard chine surf ski. I've heard rave reviews of it's surfing abilities. 

More
5 years 1 month ago #33727 by ivolino
Will the R2 long version work for a 60kg person? 

Paddled Vajda Next 52, Next 46, Epic V10 Sport, Carbonology Boost, Fenn Bluefin. Fenn Swordfish S, Vega Flex.

G´POWER Galaxy II, soft

More
5 years 1 month ago #33743 by Bill L
I have a Think legend; perhaps the hardest chines out there.

It is my favorite on my local bay when winds are blowing 15-20 kts forming 2-3 foot waves.  The chines truly hold you in a track, and the relatively flat bottom does seem to enable good surfing on this type of wave.  Grinding upwind or at a quarter-sea upwind in these type of conditions is also easier due to the chines/track, as your nose is less likely to get pushed around.  Having paddled a bunch of skis, I think a hard-chined ski does best in this type of water.

I have used it in the ocean on bigger stuff (the flat bottom can really accelerate), and it performs well, but in those conditions I'd rather use one of my other skis, probably due to easier turning to position myself on a wave.

Latest Forum Topics