Orka Paddle Selection

More
5 years 11 months ago - 5 years 11 months ago #31507 by Jonno_NZ
Was wondering if anyone can help with some more info on Orka paddles. What are the differences, pros and cons between the Flex, Super Flex, Inner/Outer models?
How do they compare to other popular brands / models?
Any help would be much appreciated.
Last edit: 5 years 11 months ago by Jonno_NZ.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• SteveW
  • Visitor
5 years 11 months ago #31508 by SteveW
Replied by SteveW on topic Orka Paddle Selection
There is this review of Orka paddles on the Orka website.

www.orkapaddles.com/paddles.php

I started surfski with an Orka legend paddle and I struggle to break the 9km/hr barrier on flat water.

I want to upgrade to bigger paddle. The superflex is what I am considering as I am 6ft, 94kgs and quite strong.

Paddle length changes on the superflex will be more effective than the legend. Well, I think so.

I am sure the pros on the forum will chime in soon.

More
5 years 11 months ago #31520 by carlosct
Replied by carlosct on topic Orka Paddle Selection
Recently I bought an Orca Ultra Flex, which I can not find on that page.
I come from an Epic Mid Wing and there is quite a difference from one to another, I am adapting.
I would appreciate more information about the Ultra flex if you have it, I think it is 740cm2 and it is similar to gamma.

Currently: Fenn Elite S, Nelo 560 L-2021, Mazu Pro Elite 2.
Previously: Mazu Fitness, Mazu Pro, Think Uno.
Attachments:

More
5 years 11 months ago #31521 by Hacker Mike
Replied by Hacker Mike on topic Orka Paddle Selection
I have paddled the Flex and S/Flex. I was not a big fan of the Flex, but I do like the S/Flex in downwind conditions. It is an extremely solid paddle in that when you plant it in the water, it is like it has been planted in cement. IMO, provides a lot of confidence and stability in downwind. But it is a big blade and I struggle to pull it for anything over 15km (flat water). Even a lot of the top guys (strong) here have had the S/Flex shaven down slightly for longer distance (they prefer the feel of the S/Flex to the Flex, but find the S/Flex tiring over long distance). I don't know of anyone here paddling with the Ultra Flex (it is a new blade from Orka).

I only tried the inner/outer for a brief spell and found them to be easy to pull through the water (a bit like the Epics). They are smaller blades that the S/Flex.

All the Orka paddles seem to be reasonably forgiving when it comes to technique.

I hope that helps.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jonno_NZ, SteveW, carlosct

• SteveW
  • Visitor
5 years 11 months ago #31522 by SteveW
Replied by SteveW on topic Orka Paddle Selection
I found this on Oceanpaddlesports.com although the decal in the pic doesn't say Ultra.

Similar size and shape to the Jantex Gamma Medium. Great in the sea and rivers. Pulls with a big grip but first bite not that important so a little more forgiving.. Size: 49 x 15,5

Same paddle used by 2017 Cape Point challenge winner Kenny Rice.

More
5 years 11 months ago - 5 years 11 months ago #31525 by Jonno_NZ
Replied by Jonno_NZ on topic Orka Paddle Selection
Hmmm - wonder what other Orka models are out there...
That Ultra Flex looks really tear drop shaped.
It would be good to know the surface area of the Orka paddles - unfortunately the length and width only tell half the story.
Last edit: 5 years 11 months ago by Jonno_NZ.

Latest Forum Topics