Is 30" roof ack bar spread ok for Epic V7/V8?

More
5 years 9 months ago #31656 by SpaceSputnik
A transportation question.
I am thinking of outfitting my other car with a rack so I can use it for paddling. It's a Honda Prelude and the best I can do on this 2 door is a rack with a 30 inches between bars fore/aft.
I could use my existing J cradle on that, but the question is if it's going be good enough in terms of hull flex. My current boat is an Epic V7.
My current setup is a minivan with about 37-38 bar spread which works fine.
I could try and find a V-style carrier, but I wonder if it's even necessary?

Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 9 months ago #31659 by [email protected]
Sounds pretty standard for smaller cars. The V7 is a shorter boat so I think you should be fine.

The only time there might be an issue is if you drive at speed in a strong crosswind.

I use a T-bar that slots onto my tow-hitch when it's windy - so as to lengthen the distance between the bars, but if there's no wind I generally don't bother.

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...

More
5 years 9 months ago - 5 years 9 months ago #31660 by SpaceSputnik
Thank you Rob. Crosswinds are pretty tame where I go, so should be ok then.
Last edit: 5 years 9 months ago by SpaceSputnik.

More
5 years 9 months ago #31666 by tve
I was carrying a Nelo 510 (also rotomold) on a 42" crossbar spacing. What I found is that the best way to carry it is upside-down almost directly on the cross-bars and as far back as you can stand. I have aluminum "aero"-style x-bars so I put some 1/2" hard foam on top and wrapped with PVC tape. Then used contractor style straps with ratchet to pull the ski down tight ('til the hull starts bulging). That keeps the side-to-side movements to a minimum. I would have benefited from using some cloth-covered tape instead of PVC to avoid rubbing off some black...
I just got a carbon ski and switched to goodboy V-bars. Can't tie that puppy down that tight :-) The V-bars are great.
The other thing to consider is speed. There is a big difference between 50mph and 60mph. And again as much from 60mph to 70mph! So if you can stay off highways or stick to 50-55mph max you'll be much safer than if you speed along in the left lane...

More
5 years 9 months ago #31668 by SpaceSputnik
I have Malone Autoloader XV j cradles that I am quite happy with. I added padding to the front one due to the ski being a lot narrower there and it does a great job securing the boat.

Latest Forum Topics