Sanding the seat?

More
5 years 9 months ago #31669 by Surly
Sanding the seat? was created by Surly
Have just switched skis from a very heavily padded out stellar sr to a think evo gen 3. Very happy with the change the think fits much better, I'm 75 kg, from the waist down I'm buit like a greyhound so there's still a bit of space and bum slide. Trying to avoid going to seat pads to remedy the issue and was wondering if anyone has mildly sanded the bucket to improve grip. Already wear paddle specific pants, just looking for a slight improvement with contact. Thanks for any advice.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 9 months ago #31673 by zachhandler
Replied by zachhandler on topic Sanding the seat?
Sanding the beautiful finish on a new ski sounds pretty drastic and would not help the resale value of the ski at all. I am not sure it would help much either. The jump from stellar SR (if it is gen1 at least) to evo 3 is not trivial in terms of stability. Sometimes sliding about the bucket is caused by balance issues that will sort out as you adjust to a new ski. Otherwise, I would just pad the thing out if I were you. I have had to pad every ski i have ever owned. I like to pad the bottom for better power and comfort, and then I also pad the sides for better control and balance. For me it makes the skis so much more enjoyable that I have no reservations about doing so.

Current Skis: Epic v10 g3, NK 670 double, NK exrcize, Kai Wa’a Vega, Carbonology Feather, Think Jet, Knysna Sonic X
Former Skis: Epic V12 g2, Epic V12 g1, Epic v10 double, Nelo 550 g2, Fenn Elite S, Custom Kayaks Synergy

More
5 years 9 months ago #31675 by [email protected]
No doubt you'll get other replies but...

I would really hesitate before sanding the seat. You'll probably go straight through the gelcoat and then you may find nasty tiny bits of fibre working their way into your backside, which will leave you feeling as though 10 billion fire ants are working on it.

As zachhandler says, a thin bumpad is probably the optimal solution.

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...

More
5 years 9 months ago #31679 by owenfromwales
Replied by owenfromwales on topic Sanding the seat?
As above - don`t go there!

If you just want a little bit more traction you could go the old spec-ski route and surfboard wax the seat, but padding is the way I`d go, imo.

189cm 90~100kg
Present skis:
2017 Stellar SEI 2G
1993 Gaisford Spec Ski
1980s Pratt Spec Ski
1980s UK Surf Skis Ocean Razor
Previous
1980s UK Surf Skis Ocean Razor X 3
1987 Kevlar Chalupsky (Hummel) (Welsh copy!)
1988 Kevlar Double Chalupsky
1992 Hammerhead spec
2000 Fenn copy

More
5 years 9 months ago #31977 by paddlepop
Replied by paddlepop on topic Sanding the seat?
i'm using a 2mm cork sheet bought from an arts and craft store. it does a great job

pete
Attachments:

Latest Forum Topics