Stroke Effort

More
5 years 10 months ago #31855 by SpaceSputnik
Replied by SpaceSputnik on topic Stroke Effort
Thank you everybody, this is really helpful.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 10 months ago #31870 by PSwitzer
Replied by PSwitzer on topic Stroke Effort
Brother, it takes major balls to post up a technique vid on a forum so well done! Things I can see immediately that you're doing well= Each stroke has a clearly identifiable set up, catch, power, and exit. So the rhythm is good, no windmilling here.

Can see the legs working so looks like you're connecting the power to the feet. This is good, will provide a foundation on which to improve.

The catch and power phase look like you're grabbing clean water without a bunch of turbulence and I can't hear any of the characteristic foamy sucking sounds indicating poor grip on the water (If you're sucking, then you're sucking...)

Things to improve? I see 2 things that make me think you're not getting power via effective core rotation. #1, your torso, particularly the lower torso like navel area doesn't rotate much. The shoulders rotate whilst reaching for the catch but almost immediately on the catch, everything squares up and it looks like you're pulling with the low arm lat and pushing with the top hand, but the arms are disconnected from the core. Core and arms should always rotate as a unit. Visualize pushing/ rotating with the top shoulder, not the top hand. The hand just provides a pivot point, resisting force but not applying it's own force.

#2- The bottom arm bends too early in the power phase- if the arms and core are working together as a unit, the bottom arm is straight until the exit as the blade tracks outward from the hull.

Another issue I see is that your feet are cycling the pedals back and forth enough to create some decent drag on the rudder. Try relaxing the angle of the pedals (so they are straight in line with the foot plate, not bent towards you) or if that doesn't work get the larger epic footplate so you're not pushing on the pedals as much. I had similar issues because of my big feet.

Oscar's youtube mauritius clinic is good for beginners even if you don't totally drink his koolaid..

And for a more humble approach, Ivan Lawler's masterclass is worth a look as well...

And lastly, as far as feedback is concerned, I could totally be talking out my ass, because it's hard to see your body under all that kit! Are you training to go rescue Shackleton or what? But seriously, way to get after it in some obviously adverse conditions. I wouldn't be able to paddle worth a damn in the cold with gear like that....

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Latest Forum Topics