Which EPIC weedless rudder and weed guard?

More
5 years 10 months ago #31818 by d0uglass
Trailing a bunch of reeds and pine needles yesterday convinced me that I need a weedless rudder for my 2009 Epic v12.

I notice epic sells both a "weedless rudder" and a "rough water weedless rudder," as well as two sizes of weed deflector. Which should I get?

I plan to use the weedless rudder in all conditions including both glassy flat water and sloppy downwinders on the Gulf of Mexico. Right now I have the "universal rudder" but it's kind of beat up with the tip worn down and frayed.

Thanks!

Bonus question is how much do scuffs, scratches, chips, dirt smears, etc. in the finish of a surfski hull or rudder slow it down? It it worth getting those repaired if they're not leaking?

Stellar SEI 1g

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 10 months ago #31819 by zachhandler
I too use a 2009 v12.

Second question is easy - none of that stuff slows the boat down at all.

First question: The epic weedless is the best weedless rudder out there in my opinion. It is very balanced (shaft not at the lead edge), initiates turns the best (thanks to the steep section at the front) an in my experience is the most weedless.

The downside of the epic weedless is that is has to be used with the epic weedless weed guard (i make my own but to the same dimensions.) However, once you put the weedguard on (allow 5mm or less gap to the rudder) you will not be able to use the universal rudder that you own.

What you really need is to own both a weedles and a surf rudder from epic, because the both are compatable with the same weed guard. That way you can permanenly mount the weed guard to the ski with epoxy or some other suitable adhessive.

The self stick is NOT to fasten it to the ski. It is to hold the guard lightly on the ski while you try to find the right spot on the ski for it. Once found, trace the location with marker. Sand that spot on the hull, remove the adhesive from the guard base and sand that, and then use epoxy to glue it back in the outline.

As far as the weedless vs rough water weedles - i have only used the weedless. It is adequate up to 3 ft waves. Yhe rough water weedless will be better in waves, though I imagine it might have less bite than the universal rudder you already own. On my boat I use the weedless 95% of the time, the surf rudder the 5% of the time that I am going downwind, and I never used the universal rudder.

Current Skis: Epic v10 g3, NK 670 double, NK exrcize, Kai Wa’a Vega, Carbonology Feather, Think Jet, Knysna Sonic X
Former Skis: Epic V12 g2, Epic V12 g1, Epic v10 double, Nelo 550 g2, Fenn Elite S, Custom Kayaks Synergy
The following user(s) said Thank You: d0uglass

More
5 years 10 months ago #31827 by Newbflat
Or you can skip the Epic dodder all together and be a DK Rudder weedless and weedguard. This way you don’t need to buy into the Epic system and get stuck with only using Epic rudders. Plus I would argue they are better rudders anyway. You can chuse the size that suits four needs and even what foil you want. His small weed guard easily tapes down and can be removed easily.

FENN Bluefin S
FENN Swordfish S carbon hybrid
Epic V8 double gen 2
Lot and lots of DK rudders.

Had:
Stellar SEL excel (gen 2)
Stellar SR excel (gen2)
Stellar S18s g1 (excel)
Epic V10 Double (performance)
Stellar SR (gen 1)
V10 sport (gen 2)
V10 (Gen 2)
Beater SEL (gen 1)
The following user(s) said Thank You: d0uglass

More
5 years 10 months ago #31829 by d0uglass
Hmm, 3' / 1m waves is kind of typical of the downwinders we get around here. If that's at the max that the regular epic weedless rudder can handle then maybe the rough water weedless rudder would make those conditions easier. What would be the disadvantage of the rough water weedless rudder? Would it be a lot slower in flat water or something?

I like the idea of the non-permanent, tape-on weed guard with the DK rudder. How does one order a DK rudder and how does the price compare with the epic rudders?

Stellar SEI 1g

More
5 years 10 months ago #31835 by zachhandler
You can tape on an epic weed guard if you want. What I actually use is double sided outdoor foam mounting tape. Where I paddle I hit floating sticks sometimes and need a fairly secure weedguard or it will come off.

The bigger epic weedless rudder I would expect to be a hair slower than the small one, and have a less balanced feel based on the design of the rudder. But It would also surf better.

DK rudders are an awesome product with a cult following and are hand made one at a time by a legendary waterman. I own two of them. Great product, but I simply prefer the more balanced feel and snappier turn initiation of the goofy looking epic design. Personal preference there. If I was paddling any ski other than an epic, I would use a DK weedless. That is what I used when I had a fenn and a custom kayaks ski. In fact, I am going to see If he can make me one for my kayakpro k1 that has a fairly useless postage-stamp size sprint rudder.

Current Skis: Epic v10 g3, NK 670 double, NK exrcize, Kai Wa’a Vega, Carbonology Feather, Think Jet, Knysna Sonic X
Former Skis: Epic V12 g2, Epic V12 g1, Epic v10 double, Nelo 550 g2, Fenn Elite S, Custom Kayaks Synergy

More
5 years 10 months ago #31851 by waterbornewarrior

d0uglass wrote: How does one order a DK rudder and how does the price compare with the epic rudders?

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Don (DK)

Latest Forum Topics