I'm done...

More
5 years 10 months ago #31856 by davgdavg
I'm done... was created by davgdavg
I'm done paddling on sheet glass worbly water. I just can't make it work. It's my kryptonite. I end up dizzy after only a few minutes, especially when the sky is gray. Today I tried in the AM after getting up early to surf only to find that the forecasted swell was a no-show. Ughh. So frustrating.

Luckily we hardly ever have those conditions here, but man, my brain/eyes just get destroyed by the combo of glassy water and wonky bumps.

Does this happen to anyone else?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 10 months ago #31857 by PSwitzer
Replied by PSwitzer on topic I'm done...
Yes, glassy water is tough on me as well. No so much if there is enough bump to actually move the boat around a bit but long period swell that never allows the secondary stability to kick in is the worst. The only way for me to feel reasonable in those conditions is to keep the rate up and keep driving on the feet. If I try to go slow easy I'm done.

More
5 years 10 months ago #31861 by LakeMan
Replied by LakeMan on topic I'm done...
You need to se an ear, eye and throat doctor (that's what we call them here). Something isn't right. I'm serious.

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill

More
5 years 10 months ago - 5 years 10 months ago #31862 by Fath2o
Replied by Fath2o on topic I'm done...
Sounds to me like you are describing conditions where there is no horizon. The sky and the sea blend into a two dimensional flat screen.
I know the feeling. It's even worse now with my aging eyesight. Makes bumps (and set waves) real hard to see.
Last edit: 5 years 10 months ago by Fath2o.

More
5 years 10 months ago #31863 by d0uglass
Replied by d0uglass on topic I'm done...
Interesting. I've also found "worbly glass" to be more challenging to balance on than rough-textured chop, especially if the water is very clear. The "worst" I experienced it was in a SUP race in tropical Atlantic waters off Jupiter, FL a couple years ago. It was clear enough to see sun dapples on the sandy bottom 3-5 meters down, and thus even harder to pick out the smooth but worbly surface of the water. It was fun in a way, though.

Stellar SEI 1g

More
5 years 10 months ago #31867 by Dicko
Replied by Dicko on topic I'm done...
I'm assuming you get seasick when you paddle in glassy conditions. That's not uncommon. Some people are just prone to it. Usually you need to focus on the horizon, so your eyes and your inner ear are on the same wave length. I know of swimmers who get sea sick while ocean racing. The only advice I have is to focus straight ahead on something on the shore and don't look at your boat or the water in front of your boat. The same principles that apply on a power boat.

More
5 years 10 months ago #31874 by davgdavg
Replied by davgdavg on topic I'm done...

Fath2o wrote: Sounds to me like you are describing conditions where there is no horizon. The sky and the sea blend into a two dimensional flat screen.
I know the feeling. It's even worse now with my aging eyesight. Makes bumps (and set waves) real hard to see.

Yes, exactly. To me it feels like being in a "funny house" with curved mirrors. I think the lake/river paddlers might have a hard time imagining how much movement the ocean can give while still being glassy water. And when its gray and there is no horizon it only takes a few minutes for me to feel like my head is spinning.

Anyhow, I think I just have sensitive eyes or something. I can't wear polarized glasses while driving either because I get dizzy. Oh well, hope its nothing serious lol.

More
5 years 9 months ago #31893 by Bill L
Replied by Bill L on topic I'm done...
"conditions where there is no horizon. The sky and the sea blend into a two dimensional flat screen."

I have also experienced this when the ocean has a lot of chop, but not enough for whitecaps, and the sea and sky are the same gray.

I have found that wearing yellow tinted glasses helps a bit. Cheap yellow shooting glasses are worth a try; I got some nifty wrap-arounds:
glasses

(This also occurs in alpine skiing when the terrain all looks the same despite the irregularities, which is why ski goggles are tinted)

Latest Forum Topics