Epic Paddle Sizing Help

More
5 years 9 months ago #32114 by Demonic
Hey guys,
I realize this is a surfski forum but it seems to have some of the most active discussions on Epic-related stuff, so I'm posting here. I'm new to kayaking and just purchased a used 2014 Epic 18X since the seller was literally down the street, price was good, and I couldn't help being drawn to the boat. I live on a beach cove on Cape Cod and will be using the boat for day touring and fitness. The seller also had an Epic full carbon mid wing paddle, burgundy shaft. He let me try out the paddle with the boat when we went out on the water together, but I'm not experienced enough to 'feel' what the right size paddle is for me. Based on what I've read, the small-mid sized wing would be more appropriate for me. I'm 5'10, 155lbs, slim with broad shoulders, and inexperienced. He offered the paddle to me for $250. My question is even though I believe I'd be better suited for the small-mid, is the difference in non-racing touring conditions for an inexperienced paddler enough that I should find a small-mid, or should I just grab his mid wing and not over think it?

Thanks,
Austin

P.s. I know someone is bound to ask for the sake of my safety if I've gotten any training. Prior to buying the kayak I took a self-rescue and assisted-rescue day course with the local kayak shop in a 17' Eddyline, and the seller, who used to race competitively, is the head of the local kayaking group and said he'll go out with me several times to help build up my skill set.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 9 months ago #32115 by Steve Hansen
Spend $50.00 more and get the Epic Small Mid Wing Club Carbon model. This would be the appropriate size and a softer shaft flex. I'm thinking 205-215cm would be the right length for your height.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Demonic

More
5 years 9 months ago #32116 by Demonic
Replied by Demonic on topic Epic Paddle Sizing Help
Thanks Steve, that was what I was leaning towards doing since I figured the weight difference between club and full carbon wouldn't matter for me. I don't see the option to select shaft flex for the club though. Or did you mean that the club shaft by default would be softer? Thanks again.

More
5 years 9 months ago - 5 years 9 months ago #32117 by sski
Replied by sski on topic Epic Paddle Sizing Help
www.epickayaks.com/paddle-wizard

just go through the interactive questions (3min)....but get the appropriate size.
Last edit: 5 years 9 months ago by sski.

More
5 years 9 months ago #32118 by Demonic
Thanks guys, the club carbon in small-mid was the direction I was leaning in. Sski I have used the online tool before posting, even tried variations to see what things change, but I was still interested in getting some real person feedback on whether the difference between the paddle sizes is noticeable outside of racing conditions. The online app seems to always want to steer you towards the touring paddle if you tell it you aren't in a race. I'm going to order the small-mid club carbon. Thanks again.

More
5 years 9 months ago #32127 by Steve Hansen
You wouldn't feel that much difference between the mid and the small mid on short paddles. Longer paddles is where you would feel it. Most people find it hard to go back to a touring paddle once they get use to a wing paddle. The wing is a little bit more efficient but the big advantage is in the grip on the water. Hard to explain but the wing is stable and predictable and easy to brace off of in a tippy surfski. Which brings me to another matter. The Epic 18 may be fine for beginning in flat/protected waters. If you decide to really get into this sport you should look into getting a beginner/mid level surfski. Much safer. I cannot emphasis this enough. Lots of potential for getting into trouble if you tip over in the 18x. The surfski is unsinkable, you just have to learn to remount it. You will actually learn skills faster with the surfski because you'll know you can get back on, allowing you to push your limits. It's only a matter of time before you tip over, weather and wind conditions can change very fast on the water. I speak from experience.

More
5 years 9 months ago #32129 by Demonic
Ah great, now I have to get ready to drop another 2k on a hobby I just got into weeks ago haha. I understand your point though, and will look into it for next season.

More
5 years 9 months ago #32167 by Atlas
Replied by Atlas on topic Epic Paddle Sizing Help
Or learn to roll. Easier said than done of course but there’s no reason you can’t do it. Eskimo rolling is one of those techniques that is easy to do but hard to learn. Once you know how to; rolling a kayak is easier and faster than remounting a ski.
Of course you still need to learn and regularly practice other deep water self rescue techniques to be truly safe.

Current boats
Epic V10L Ultra, Epic V9 Ultra, Carbonology Sport Boost X LV, Fenn Bluefin, Nelo 510, Fenn XT double, Nelo 600, Expedition Kayaks Azure, Mirage 732.
Previous boats
Spirit PRS, Fenn Swordfish, Fenn XT, Fenn Swordfish S, Think Zen, Epic V10L Club, Carbonology Sport Boost LV

More
5 years 9 months ago #32169 by sski
Atlas-how do you do this? I have done it in the pool wearing a thigh strap-are you wearing one when you were out paddling?

More
5 years 9 months ago - 5 years 9 months ago #32170 by sski
Duplicate
Last edit: 5 years 9 months ago by sski. Reason: Duplicate

More
5 years 9 months ago #32171 by Atlas
Replied by Atlas on topic Epic Paddle Sizing Help
I was only talking about rolling a kayak, not a ski.

Current boats
Epic V10L Ultra, Epic V9 Ultra, Carbonology Sport Boost X LV, Fenn Bluefin, Nelo 510, Fenn XT double, Nelo 600, Expedition Kayaks Azure, Mirage 732.
Previous boats
Spirit PRS, Fenn Swordfish, Fenn XT, Fenn Swordfish S, Think Zen, Epic V10L Club, Carbonology Sport Boost LV

More
5 years 8 months ago #32173 by Nige
Replied by Nige on topic Epic Paddle Sizing Help
sski, getting off the subject a bit, but seeing that you asked, you can eskimo roll a surfski if it is fitted with either a lap belt or thigh strap, basically any device which keeps your butt planted in the seat.

Latest Forum Topics