Where do I go now ? (from a V8 pro)

• uk gearmuncher
  • Visitor
5 years 8 months ago - 5 years 8 months ago #32154 by uk gearmuncher
Where do I go now ? (from a V8 pro) was created by uk gearmuncher
I've had an Epic V8 Pro and really like the build quality, sizing and general performance of Epics in general. However, in the conditions I paddle in (upto 3ft waves and flatwater 99% of the time), I'm now finding the boat too manageable and want to progress to something with more flatwater speed.

My concern is the V10 Sport is all but a negligible jump in performance but the V10 (at nigh on 5-6cm narrower) seems to be a jump too far. Does anyone have any feedback how they found the jump to a V10 (gen 2 or gen 3) from a V8, V8 Pro or V10 Sport or have any advice ?
Last edit: 5 years 8 months ago by uk gearmuncher.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• MCImes
  • Visitor
5 years 8 months ago #32165 by MCImes
Replied by MCImes on topic Where do I go now ? (from a V8 pro)
I cant comment on boat upgrading, as I'm in a similar predicament at the moment, but you could simulate a less stable boat with seat pads. a half inch or more will take away a surprising amount of stability if you're bored on flat water.

You could add seat pads for flat water paddling to stability train and remove them for larger conditions that would be unmanageable on a skinnier boat. Just a thought for the interim.

• uk gearmuncher
  • Visitor
5 years 8 months ago #32166 by uk gearmuncher
Replied by uk gearmuncher on topic Where do I go now ? (from a V8 pro)
Yep, in a similar vein, I’d popped my small flatwater rudder in the meantime to take some of the stability away when on swell or chop.

More
5 years 8 months ago #32168 by Ranga
The question is how fast you are going before you upgrade. Are you making the most of your current ski, as you go harder and faster the ski becomes more unstable as you get fatigued.
However if you are going as quick as the ski is allowing you to then the obvious step is the Sport. I have seen it many times where people have taken the step too far and no longer go as quick as their old slower ski, and no longer are having FUN.
The new V10 is a fantastic ski, stable and fast, but only for those that can handle it.
I have paddled the V8, Sport and new V10. The V8 I average just over the 14km/h mark downwind, the Sport just under the 15km/hr but yet to get a nice downwind as yet for the V10 but think it is around the 15.5 mark. My current ski is the V11 and my average is just over the 16km/hr. Just a note I have been paddling for 35 years.
As you can see a progression as the ski gets narrower.
One thing you must always take into consideration, stable skis sell like hotcakes and get more difficult as they become tippier. Also good build quality also sells and holds its value.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Fath2o

More
5 years 8 months ago - 5 years 8 months ago #32174 by Fath2o
Classic example of when you bite off more than you can chew and not being content with an intermediate ski. Fortunately he survived.

www.surfski.info/tips/story/1472/when-things-go-wrong.html

Chances are the U.S. Coast Guard will charge you a hefty some for the rescue here with the assumption you shouldn't be out there and accuse you of negligence.
I always notify the Harbor Patrol with a float plan to, hopefully, eliminate some liability. Haven't needed a rescue thankfully! ( To me it sounds like conditions were just starting to get exciting!)
Last edit: 5 years 8 months ago by Fath2o.

More
5 years 8 months ago #32175 by Dicko
Just out of curiosity, who comes and rescues us if we get lost in Australia? We have a local volunteer marine rescue that will come and tow your power boat in if it stops working. The cost used to be a carton of beer. I suppose if my ski sinks they would come and find me. I get the feeling that if anything happens here it is expected you'll swim in. The rest of the world appears to have a very formal sea rescue set up. Is this an accurate assumption.

Latest Forum Topics