v10L, v10s, carbonology boost, Stellar SR to replace tippy v12?

More
5 years 8 months ago #32352 by d0uglass
I sold my 2009 epic v12 for what I bought it for, but I caught the surfski bug and now I'm hoping to find a bargain on something a little more stable and easy to handle. I'm 178 cm / 75 kg. Was comfortable enough on the v12 in flat water (minus butt chafing issues) but it was not a practical craft for me in rough water because I capsized every few minutes. I want something fast enough that I can keep up with the local crew in flatwater training paddles (they mostly ride Nelo 550s) but stable enough that I can use it for ocean upwind/downwind paddling without too much hassle.

In my area there's a v10L red nose construction for sale for $1750. Not sure if that would be any more stable than the v12.

www.surfskiracing.org/classified/show-ad...lorida/usa/surfskis/

There's also some V10S black nose constructions s for sale for $2100. I worry about the seats on those being too wide.

fortmyers.craigslist.org/col/boa/d/2-epi...sale/6662327584.html

Oh, and there's a carbonology Boost for $1800. I wonder if that's just too wide too be fast.

sarasota.craigslist.org/boa/d/surfski-ca...oost/6634597531.html

My cheapest option is a Stellar SR in multisport construction for $1500. I paddled a SR in lighter construction in rough water and loved how easy it was compared to the v12. My only complaint was that the seat was cavernously huge, and the boat had noticeably less glide in flatwater than the narrower v12. Not sure if the heavier multisport construction would be a big disadvantage in racing or not.

Stellar SEI 1g

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 8 months ago #32354 by mcnye1
V10 Sport for sale in Jax Beach for $1500.
jacksonville.craigslist.org/spo/d/epic-s...port/6657684569.html
Same person is also selling a V8, but no price listed.
The following user(s) said Thank You: d0uglass

More
5 years 8 months ago #32356 by zachhandler
Avoid gen 1 stellar SR unless you love the huge bucket. Very few people do. it might be ok on flat water, but in waves it is not good because there is such poor connection to the boat. The 2200$ blacknose v10s is the second generation which is a great boat. The 1500$ v10s is actually the first generation, which is inferior to the second generation in every way - it is slower, tippier, surfs worse, and has a bucket designed for a state fair pumpkin. Unless you have very wide hips, it is worth getting the second generation. The ad for the v10L is not working, but again, I would avoid the 1st generation v10L. It is not much more stable than the v12, but is less comfortable with worse ergonomics.

Current Skis: Epic v10 g3, NK 670 double, NK exrcize, Kai Wa’a Vega, Carbonology Feather, Think Jet, Knysna Sonic X
Former Skis: Epic V12 g2, Epic V12 g1, Epic v10 double, Nelo 550 g2, Fenn Elite S, Custom Kayaks Synergy
The following user(s) said Thank You: d0uglass

More
5 years 8 months ago #32358 by d0uglass
Well, I couldn't wait and I bought the SR so I can take it with me on my vacation to South Carolina tomorrow. It's a gen 2 but an early demo model that lacks the side carry handles. The bucket is definitely oversized but I padded the seat and felt relatively secure. The boat in "multisport" construction is quite heavy (maybe even a little heavier than my black nose v12 was) and the water bottle holder makes it awkward to balance on my head, but I taped some padding over that area and I think that will help. I did the 6.5 km river hairpin course that I do for time trials and got a 10.9 kph average despite catching sticks and pine needles on the rudder. That was just 0.2 kph slower than the last time I did the course on the v12, so I'm pleased with that. Hopefully I can get over 11 kph with a weedless rudder.

Stellar SEI 1g

More
5 years 8 months ago #32359 by Dicko
OK, I've got to ask. Balance what on your head? Do you mean the boat. Don't you carry it on your shoulder?

• MCImes
  • Visitor
5 years 8 months ago - 5 years 8 months ago #32360 by MCImes
@Dicko, I carry my boat on my head too. A shoulder carry is impractical for a .3 mile / 7 minute walk (for me at least). As a former Minnesotan, we associate carrying boats "centered on your shoulders". The ONLY good thing about the bathtub that is the SR g1 bucket is that it perfectly spans my shoulders and my head keeps the front to back balance, and I can walk with no hands on the boat in winds <10mph. Just saying, theres more than 1 way to carry a boat ;)

Douglas, I have the SR g1 and its exactly the boat you're looking for minus 1 thing, which has been mentioned; the bucket is basically a double person hammock. Put foam and filler wherever you can. In flat water it doesnt matter, but as soon as you're in waves big enough to swamp the cockpit, it will happen repeatedly and often. Whoever designs the buckets at stellar should be fired. They're all bathtubs and absolutely horrid in waves. They swamp easily, are huge, drain slowly, and are wayyyy bigger than they need to be. Also, the G1 rudder is terrible as well (not sure about the g2, but if you think its under powered for your typical conditions, get a DK rudder). Last critique, the g1 does not surf very well due to a lack of rocker. I mean, it will surf, but not nearly as well or easily as a high rocker boat like a Fenn. Other than that, the SR is a great boat. Its stable enough that I am rarely flipped unintentionally, and when I am its usually in the surf so that kinda doesnt count. On the flats, I can lay back and drink a beer. In the ocean its stable enough to instill confidence.

Overall I think you made the right choice and will be happy with the SR.
Last edit: 5 years 8 months ago by MCImes.

More
5 years 8 months ago #32361 by LakeMan
Maybe I'm missing something but it seems to me 8 hours after asking a long question about which boat you should get you went out and bought one, even after people spent the time to answer your question. Seems kind of hasty. You should have met up with Mark at Elite Ocean Sports and talked with a professional.
Hope the Sr works out for you.

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill

• Jef58
  • Visitor
5 years 8 months ago #32362 by Jef58
It sounds like he bought the boat that Paddlesports of Naples had for sale. It was a Gen 2 boat which looks to have a revised bucket...still big by surfski standards though. Looks like a nice all around boat for the waters in this area, and according to Wesley, has very good glide and speed in flat water. The Boost would have been a better choice for open water surfing.....so it all depends on how he is using this boat.

More
5 years 8 months ago #32363 by zachhandler
SR G2 is a good boat from what I hear. Vastly better than G1. A much better boat for you at your point in learning to surfski. Good choice. Used boats are used boats. Just like the v12, if it is not right then you will sell it. Not a big deal. Have fun with it and enjoy the waves.

Current Skis: Epic v10 g3, NK 670 double, NK exrcize, Kai Wa’a Vega, Carbonology Feather, Think Jet, Knysna Sonic X
Former Skis: Epic V12 g2, Epic V12 g1, Epic v10 double, Nelo 550 g2, Fenn Elite S, Custom Kayaks Synergy

Latest Forum Topics