Wide hips & long legs

More
5 years 8 months ago #32364 by Lenny
Wide hips & long legs was created by Lenny
I am really struggling to find a suitable ski and hoping that someone might have some ideas. I’m 2 metres tall, 105kg but the thing causing me the biggest headache is my wide hips. Lot of people pointed me towards epic V10s but no good. Stupidly bought a stellar SR excell 2nd hand and thought I could get enough beam width by padding up the seat but still rubbing hips. Would love to sit is some of the Custom Kayak range as I’ve heard promising things but based in QLD and I’m in VIC.
If anyone has any ideas it would be greatly appreciated! Desperate

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 8 months ago #32366 by d0uglass
Replied by d0uglass on topic Wide hips & long legs
My buddy has a first generation Fenn Bluefin that seems to have a HUGE butt bucket with shallow gently sloping sides and very long leg-well. When I tried it I remember thinking, "Who the heck is this bucket designed for?" The boat shape was great, but the bucket was awful for my short legs and narrow hips. For you, though, I think it would be perfect. See if you can find a Fenn Bluefin.

Stellar SEI 1g
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lenny

More
5 years 8 months ago #32383 by zachhandler
Replied by zachhandler on topic Wide hips & long legs
I have heard of people taking a ski to a repair guy to have cutouts made for their hips. Otherwise you might need one of those old skis like in magnum PI where you basically sit on top of a flat deck.

Current Skis: Epic v10 g3, NK 670 double, NK exrcize, Kai Wa’a Vega, Carbonology Feather, Think Jet, Knysna Sonic X
Former Skis: Epic V12 g2, Epic V12 g1, Epic v10 double, Nelo 550 g2, Fenn Elite S, Custom Kayaks Synergy
The following user(s) said Thank You: sski

More
5 years 8 months ago #32385 by Pontus
Replied by Pontus on topic Wide hips & long legs
I have the same problem. I usually use Epic V10 Sport and it works.

I have also used the following and they work
Plastic: Epic V7 and V5, Nordic Kayaks Breeze.

Nordic kayaks Squall and Exercise and Nelo 520XL (although I think they are a tiny bit smaller than Epic v10 sport)

I have heard Bluefin should work but I have not had the opportunity to try it yet.

More
5 years 8 months ago #32387 by ccchappell
Replied by ccchappell on topic Wide hips & long legs
I also have wide hips and long legs, maybe not as wide as yours though. I do just fit in the new Nelo skis, if you can you may want to try the new 520XL, could be one of the widest current buckets available from what I've seen.

Like Zach mentioned, I've had to "cutout" a few boats. Here are some pics of my V14 modified bucket. Was a lot of work, but functions very well for me. I barely fit with this mod in the V14 since boat so narrow, but other skis gave me plenty of room (V10G1, Nelo Oceanski, Stellar SE).

Good Luck!
Chris
Attachments:

More
5 years 8 months ago #32389 by Dicko
Replied by Dicko on topic Wide hips & long legs
You obviously want a more stable ski so I reckon you need a kayak centre Zeplin. They are as scarce as hens teeth. They are amazingly stable. Absolutely fly downwind and some come with a wider bucket. I have 3 mates who paddle them and in my opinion are the most underrated ski on the market. There were a couple for sale on the east coast a while back. I have one mate who has every tippy ski on the market, but the one ski he won't sell is his Zeplin. I have really long legs and the foot adjustment was fine for me. My mates are all big boned gentlemen and their bums all seem to fit ok.

Latest Forum Topics