Revo R3 vs. THINK EVO 3 vs. Epic V10 Sport

More
5 years 6 months ago #32807 by ivolino
I want to buy my first surfski. I use the Vajda Next 52 in the moment and want to do the next step. So far my choice would be the Revo R3 or THINK EVO 3 or Epic V10 Sport. I like the look of the R3 a lot and read good things about it but its 12kg heavy. I like that the THINK EVO 3 and Epic V10 Sport are only 10,5kg. Which of the skies are more stable? Whats the difference in speed?

Paddled Vajda Next 52, Next 46, Epic V10 Sport, Carbonology Boost, Fenn Bluefin. Fenn Swordfish S, Vega Flex.

G´POWER Galaxy II, soft

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 6 months ago #32808 by [email protected]
I suspect that you'll find very little difference in speed between the three boats.

What conditions will you be paddling in? Inland, on the sea, downwind, rough water, flat water? Where?

Ideally you want to try all three boats before you buy and you want to look for comfort in the seat. If you're comfortable (and stability is part of this but not the only factor) you'll be faster.

It shows how far we've come that you're comparing a 12kg boat with 10.5kg boats! When I started, an 18kg glass boat was considered "light"!

I've paddled the Evo 3 (very comfortable for me) and the V10 Sport (comfortable but with a wider seat).

The Evo 3 is slightly longer and slightly narrower than the V10 Sport (625/47cm v 610/48cm)
The R3 is 635/48

There are several threads on the forum with comments by paddlers on the R3:

Click here to search surfski.info for the R3

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...

More
5 years 6 months ago #32809 by ivolino
I paddle mostly on the big river Elbe (800m width) with strong currents and often wind (4-5 bft ) but also on the baltic sea. A lighter boat is just nicer to handle alone. I really would like to try all the boats out but there are almost no dealers in my country. Especially not all dealers at the same place. I can't get even 2 boats at the same place so far. Unfortunately Germany is not a surfski country. I only have a V10, swordfish and next 46 here.

My hips are 33cm width. The R3 is now R3 is 605/48.

Paddled Vajda Next 52, Next 46, Epic V10 Sport, Carbonology Boost, Fenn Bluefin. Fenn Swordfish S, Vega Flex.

G´POWER Galaxy II, soft

More
5 years 6 months ago #32810 by [email protected]
Ok, cool, so I can imagine that you'll be dealing with choppy water more often than not. Probably shorter chop than long ocean swell, so perhaps it would make sense to go with a shorter boat.

Ha - the R3 has obviously changed since I first saw the specs (their website doesn't seem to have any info).

What do you weigh?

The R3 is undoubtedly the coolest-looking boat of the batch!

I also have no doubt that other readers of the forum will add comments...

Good luck!

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...

More
5 years 6 months ago - 5 years 6 months ago #32811 by ivolino
Yes you are right its more choppy water:) Its very hard to get reliable information on the Revo skies. The webpage is not updated since a long time. They still show 3 construction options but its only 2 nowadays.

My weight is 76kg. Does anyone know if the seat of the R3 or the EVO 3 is wider?

G´POWER Galaxy II, soft
Last edit: 5 years 6 months ago by ivolino.

• Hulk
  • Carb. Vault FENN Sw. BOS Raptor EPIC Mid Wing gr
More
5 years 6 months ago #32813 by Hulk
Just partially off-topic here, but what about the comparison between the Think Ion 3G and the new Epic V10 3G?
For a pure intermediate to advanced downwind paddler 70-75kg...

Regards

More
5 years 6 months ago #32819 by M.v.E.
Since you already have experience with Vajda. What about the Vajda Next 46 ?
As you probably know there is a Vajda Dealer close to Hamburg. I tried the Next 46 a while ago and was impressed with the ergonomics and the quality. It was also pretty fast. I tried the EVO 2 a couple of years ago and I was very impressed with the seat ergonomics . For me it was the best fitting ski I ever sat in. It´s difficult to get in Germany though. I don´t know of any dealer. There is a good surfski dealer in Berlin. >surfskisport.com< if you are considering an Epic ski and there is also an Nelo dealer near Berlin. The Nelo 550 might be another good option for you. I´ve never seen a Revo ski on any competition in Germany.
I doubt that there is a distributor here but maybe I am wrong. I wouldn´t order one without testing it before.

Greeings from Berlin

Michael

Current Ski: Nelo 550 L
Previous Skis: Stellar SR 1. Gen. / Stellar SEI 1. Gen. / Stellar SR 2. Gen.

More
5 years 6 months ago #32820 by ivolino
Closest Revo dealer is Sweden. I find the seat in the next 52 to wide and I am not a fan of the optic. Think dealer would be netherlands or sweden.

G´POWER Galaxy II, soft

More
5 years 6 months ago #32824 by zachhandler
Ivolino - where you paddle is there much seaweed or fallen leaves on the water? If so I think the reverse bow of the R3 would get very annoying. I find it very hard to focus on my paddling when there are weeds stuck on the bow making noise, slowing me down, and spitting water in all directions.

Current Skis: Epic v10 g3, NK 670 double, NK exrcize, Kai Wa’a Vega, Carbonology Feather, Think Jet, Knysna Sonic X
Former Skis: Epic V12 g2, Epic V12 g1, Epic v10 double, Nelo 550 g2, Fenn Elite S, Custom Kayaks Synergy

More
5 years 6 months ago #32826 by ivolino
No there is mostly nothing in the water. Because of the big container ships, they constantly dig the river so deep that nothing can grow. Trees are not close to the river. Do you know about stability difference to the other boats?

G´POWER Galaxy II, soft

More
5 years 6 months ago #32904 by Stew
Drop Micky at Think Kayak Europe a message, he'd be able to help you with an Evo, no problem at all.

www.thinkkayakeurope.com/

• eh.haole
  • Visitor
5 years 6 months ago #32965 by eh.haole
Replied by eh.haole on topic Revo R3 vs. THINK EVO 3 vs. Epic V10 Sport
Evo is cool, it probably offers that higher top speed when paddled very well with sufficient power/form, though definitely less forgiving or symmetric than my Stellar SR which was my first ski (I'm still working towards feeling totally solid in all conditions, our harbour/coast has many). The Think build, handles and bailer are all very nice. At ~70kgs (80 soaking wet) I feel a little bit high in the water in the new Evo I've got ('Elite' build); attention is warranted lest she jump to that next stability point at ~40º over (though that spot makes re-mounting pretty friendly, I've tested this in fairly rowdy conditions). Pointed the right direction on a not-too-confused swell is a fun ride. Their other wider models (as well as your current ski) will probably shred a good downwind just as well, though you might give up some to many dozens boat-lengths on flat harbour/lake races.

Latest Forum Topics