Fenn Elite S vs Swordfish (not S) what to buy?

More
5 years 6 months ago #32878 by nexusfish
Gday all,

I have recently moved and had to sell my boat as the cost of getting it to my new address was twice what my boat was worth. Now im on the market for another one.

I am now living in Tasmania (that little bit on the bottom of Australia) and have a choice between three skis, a hybrid Fenn elite S, a older Swordfish and a Epic V14. Im pretty constrained financially, so these all fall into my price bracket in used condition.

My conundrum is that I want to paddle all year around down here and it gets pretty cold in winter so want to avoid fall in out (stable boat), but I need a ski that is fast on the flat as I do a bit of multi sport racing and they are rarely in really rough conditions (speedy boat). Now, I also like to do downwinders in nice rough conditions and used to get along fine in my old beat up Fenn Mako 6.

I cant afford to be buying and selling boats and I cant have two. I need to get it right straight up. I was wondering if I will be losing time on the flat multisport races if I bought the swordfish vs the elite s? I could average about 11.8 -12kmh on a 10km calm ocean leg when in tip top shape in my Mako 6 with a 4 inch rudder. From what i read the swordfish is a great fun boat and great downwind boat, but it not as slender as the elite (so slower on the flatish stuff?)

Ive only been seriously paddling for 2 years and havent had a go in any other boats to compare as there was only a few of us in my old town and they all had lifesaving skis.

Im pretty committed to the elite S but just thought id put this out here to see if anyone would sway me way from my decision.

Cheers,

Rowan.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 6 months ago #32879 by [email protected]
Elite S!

You're mostly paddling on the flat and that's the only time I do feel slightly handicapped in my Swordfish S. Any kind of a bump or chop, and I'm in the game, but utterly flat water and I feel that my buddies on elite boats are working less hard and can put the hammer down and get away.

The Elite S has similar stability to the Mako 6, so you should be just fine on downwinds. The V14 however is perceptibly tippier and you might find it a handful in rough conditions.

My 2c!

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Latest Forum Topics