Nelo 550L - move the foot plate rails?

More
5 years 3 months ago #33394 by SpaceSputnik
Hi All

I seem to have located a used Nelo 550 L in a great condition and reasonably priced. I have sat in a 550 L (not the same one that's for sale) and found that the bucket fits me about perfect but the foot plate cannot be moved close enough for me.  By the looks of it there's enough flat space of the hull past the rails to move it an inch or two towards me. That would make a great fitting boat.
I know that Nelo can do that on new boats as per a customer request, but is that a relatively simple thing to do myself? Is it just a matter of drilling a new holes and sealing up the old ones? I don't have access to the boat for sale at the moment and haven't taken a close enough look at that ski I test-sat in.

Wesley Echols, you have a 550L modified like that I believe?

Thank you.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 3 months ago #33407 by Bitemekaos
Not sure if this helps but I was keen to get a 550 and being verticaly challenged the foot plate in the L and ML were about 30mm to far away for me. I got a quote to move the rails from a good boat and ski builder of $350 Australia dollars which was quite reasonable or the other option was to use the Nelo K1 peddle system which would of extended the extra distance I needed. In the end with the cost of the ski and the mucking around involved I brought a Think Ion 3G and couldn't be happier. Good luck! 
The following user(s) said Thank You: SpaceSputnik

More
5 years 3 months ago #33416 by wesley
Got your text. I paddled the 550L with the regular rails but needed another half inch for it to fit with my 29.5 inch inseam. So I order the 550L with the rail moved closer to me and that was fine. I now have 560ML as one of my flat water skis and the leg length is fine but I no longer have my 550L. You could switch the footplate around but it would not adjust once you did that as I was told. I believe there was a reason I could not do what are suggesting with the Nelo 550L due to something with how the footplate was designed or how the rails are attached. I dont remember the specifics though. That's when i decided to order one with the rails moved back to get the fit I wanted. Alot of good skis there that fit short paddlers so get one that fits correctly. A good deal is no deal if it does not fit, no matter what the cost is. 

Wesley Echols
SurfskiRacing.com
#1 in Surfski Reviews.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SpaceSputnik

More
5 years 3 months ago - 5 years 3 months ago #33417 by SpaceSputnik
Thanks Wesley.

Nelo says it the rails could be moved two inches fairly easily as a diy. It bugs me having to do this sort of thing, but I do like the overall bucket fit of the L.
ML would be fantastic for summer, but with winter gear on, it would be definitely too tight.

Last edit: 5 years 3 months ago by SpaceSputnik.

Latest Forum Topics