Clever tricks to put padding on footrests or seat for non adjustable footrests?

More
5 years 2 months ago #33429 by wrybread
My ski has non adjustable footwells and it's just a bit too big for me. I've been gluing thin layers of foam to the seat but I've now glued on 6 layers and I'm still not there, ha.

The foam I'm using is about the thickness of a really thick yoga mat, so pretty thin.  There must be a better way....

Any good tips on what foam (or other material) to use for this? And/or something for the footrest to do the same?

Thanks for any tips.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 2 months ago #33431 by mickeyA
When you say “too big”, I assume you mean the backs of the foot wells are too far away relative to the seat.  Many complain of too big meaning seat is too big and they pad the seat to fix it.  If footwells are too far, you need to effectively bring them closer to seat by building up the backs of the footwells (where your heels press).  I do not see how building seat up makes it shorter.  Look for something you can cut to form, but not spongy.  Speaking of yoga, yoga blocks are great as they give in very little to pressure, do not absorb water (closed cell?), and you can cut them fairly easily.  Cut a piece the width of your footwell (I assume two, narrow footwells), so about 4”/10cm width, and about the same length/height, then slice it to whatever depth you need.  I say you could go up to about 2”/5cm thick before reaching pedals is a problem.  Round the bottom corners to fit, glue it on (hot glue so you can remove in case you need to).  You will have to angle your peddles back towards you more.  Good luck.

KR McGregor Rhythm, V10Sport, Swordfish S, Fenn Tarpon S, Fenn XT, Twogood Chalupski, Findeisen Stinger spec. Had: V12, Stellar SE, Huki S1-X, Burton wedge2, Fenn Tarpon

More
5 years 2 months ago #33432 by PSwitzer
Agree with Mickey that it's better to build up the footwell/pedals rather than the bucket.  My rationale is that as you pad the back of the bucket to move your butt closer to the pedals, you wind up sitting further up the "slope" of the hump and your stability and comfort are impaired. 

In addition to building up the footwells, can attach same material to the pedals themselves so everything stays aligned.  Basically both your heels and toes will be pushing on the blocks...

More
5 years 2 months ago #33435 by wrybread
Thanks for the tips! I wound up doing a combination of padding the seat back and the footwells and it's like a whole new boat. Feels so good to finally be able to press hard with my feet again.

Awesome tip on yoga blocks. I used multiple sheets of foam padding since that's what I had handy, but next time. Or I was thinking that puzzle style floor mat some gyms use.

More
5 years 2 months ago #33436 by Hiro

If footwells are too far, you need to effectively bring them closer to seat by building up the backs of the footwells (where your heels press).  

I've seen a friend doing this by glueing pieces of 2"x4"  

Latest Forum Topics