Draining the Evo

More
4 years 10 months ago - 4 years 10 months ago #34141 by SpaceSputnik
Hi All
I am a little confused about something.
Epics come with a bung at the front that is at the topmost position, so one can flip the boat around, lift from the bow and drain these few drops of water than found their way in during a paddle. This is the way it works with my V7 at least (not sure if it snorts some through the bug  during remount practice or the hatch lets some in). I think I saw the same bungs on proper composite Epics as well.
On my Evo, there is a round access hatch with a straw sticking out and for the life of me I can't figure it how to even attempt to drain it. Now, there seems no water in the hull at all, but I just don't get it. If Epics have a provision for drainage why don't Thinks have it? Is there no need? Do we rely on evaporation through the open access hatch when in storage or this system simply doesn't take water in?
Last edit: 4 years 10 months ago by SpaceSputnik.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 10 months ago #34142 by zachhandler
Replied by zachhandler on topic Draining the Evo
I believe that the whole black part unscrews like the lid of a jar. The straw is just to allow air pressure inside the ski to equilibrate with atmospheric pressure. 

Current Skis: Epic v10 g3, NK 670 double, NK exrcize, Kai Wa’a Vega, Carbonology Feather, Think Jet, Knysna Sonic X
Former Skis: Epic V12 g2, Epic V12 g1, Epic v10 double, Nelo 550 g2, Fenn Elite S, Custom Kayaks Synergy

More
4 years 10 months ago #34143 by Fath2o
Replied by Fath2o on topic Draining the Evo
How about setting the ski on sawhorses or equivalent and unscrewing the deck hatch.
Take out the bag insert. position the ski so the water pools under the hatch. Use a rag or sponge to remove water/moisture. Leave hatch open to air out if desired.
Actually easier and more effective than draining upside down through bung IMO.
(That's how I do it anyway)

More
4 years 10 months ago #34144 by SpaceSputnik
Replied by SpaceSputnik on topic Draining the Evo
It certainly does. But since the plate is not at the top most position it would take some significant angle to get the water to flow out.

More
4 years 10 months ago #34145 by SpaceSputnik

Fath2o wrote: How about setting the ski on sawhorses or equivalent and unscrewing the deck hatch.
Take out the bag insert. position the ski so the water pools under the hatch. Use a rag or sponge to remove water/moisture. Leave hatch open to air out if desired.
Actually easier and more effective than draining upside down through bung IMO.
(That's how I do it anyway)

Do you mean upside down so the water goes to the area on top of the hatch? I assume right side up, the water would just go all the way to the nose or remain at the back.
I guess I will need to raise the stern some.

"Bag insert"? Don't have one, the stinger comes pretty close to the hatch. New Ions are like that too. I was a little bummed out that it wasn't an actual storage space :)

More
4 years 10 months ago #34146 by SpaceSputnik
Just played around with it, looks like this sequence should be ok:

1. Boat upside down on the stands.
2. Lift the stern until the bow touches the floor (with something soft on the floor as not to add scuffs obviously :D) so the water goes to the bow.
3. Lower the boat back, still upside down.
4. Undo the lid.
5. Sponge out water in the center "corner" area currently under the hatch.

The boat is bone dry now, but all the angles seem to be correct. My garage floor is sloped some, which helps. 

More
4 years 10 months ago #34149 by Fath2o
Replied by Fath2o on topic Draining the Evo
I do it right side up. But,you got the idea.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SpaceSputnik

Latest Forum Topics