Gorge vs Blackburn

More
4 years 9 months ago #34404 by mickeyA
Gorge vs Blackburn was created by mickeyA
Will these always be on (or about) the same date?  I know they are on opposite coasts, but many of the folks that would travel to one would travel to the other (me).  I’ve done the Gorge the last 2 yrs and coming agian this year, but I would like to make a week out of the Blackburn some time. I assume they are both stuck to mid July?.  If so, I will probably never see the Blackburn.  Thanks

KR McGregor Rhythm, V10Sport, Swordfish S, Fenn Tarpon S, Fenn XT, Twogood Chalupski, Findeisen Stinger spec. Had: V12, Stellar SE, Huki S1-X, Burton wedge2, Fenn Tarpon

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 9 months ago #34419 by [email protected]
So this is what Carter Johnson (Gorge Downwind Champs) had to say:

Sadly our days are locked with three major West coast events. Canada champs, and the 700 person gorge 6man outrigger race. It would take an act of God to move all of these large international events. Third week in July is our tentative schedule into the future.

I tried to coordinate with everybody a while ago but that somehow went very sideways when two vendors took that form two different place ☹️. Haven't had the appetite to send an email out to everybody again.

Would be stoked to have these two races on different dates. I too would like to get out east for the Blackburn one day.

Still waiting for feedback from the Cape Ann Rowing Club!

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...

More
4 years 9 months ago #34421 by mickeyA
Replied by mickeyA on topic Gorge vs Blackburn
Thanks Rob.  At least they are both aware of the dilemma.  Maybe one day they work it out.  Gorge is fantastic, and I assume Blackburn is, too.

KR McGregor Rhythm, V10Sport, Swordfish S, Fenn Tarpon S, Fenn XT, Twogood Chalupski, Findeisen Stinger spec. Had: V12, Stellar SE, Huki S1-X, Burton wedge2, Fenn Tarpon

More
4 years 9 months ago #34471 by TheJRM
Replied by TheJRM on topic Gorge vs Blackburn
I live in Gloucester (I'm looking out my window  at mile 2 of the Blackburn course right now, actually!).  This year's Blackburn is 1 week before the Gorge.  Some of our top paddlers are hitting Blackburn up and then departing for the Gorge 2 days later.  Logan airport (Boston) is only 45 minutes away from Gloucester, so it would be very easy to jump on a plane and head west.  Not only that, but you'd have an easy time finding a homestay with one of the local paddlers and even a ride to the airport.  We have a pretty tight group here on the North Shore.

We also have very, very easy access to Epic ski rentals 2 towns over in Beverly, MA.  Ed Duggan, who owns the Kayak Learning Center, will take very good care of you.  If you ever want to make the trip, let me know and I'll get you connected with our training group - you will be taken care of!

More
4 years 9 months ago #34473 by Epicpaddler
Replied by Epicpaddler on topic Gorge vs Blackburn
TheJRM,

I'm looking forward to racing in my first Blackburn this year. I'm working in Maine for the summer, so the drive will be a bit shorter. Looks like you've been lighting up the local NE racing scene this year. What boat do you think you'll paddle for the Blackburn? I'm sure whatever you decide it will be a big upgrade from the V7. Hope to meet you at the Blackburn.

More
4 years 9 months ago - 4 years 9 months ago #34477 by TheJRM
Replied by TheJRM on topic Gorge vs Blackburn
Thanks man!  I am enjoying it.  I bought a secondhand V10S ultra this past fall and have been training in it quite a bit.  I also picked up a V10G3 ultra a week ago.  I plan on using the V10S for Blackburn unless conditions are super flat and calm.  This is only my second season of paddling, and I only paddled for a total of about 20 hours before last year's race, so I still have a LONG way to go with my progression.  If conditions are rough, I'll probably try to scrounge up a V8 Pro.

The V7 has been relegated to surfing duty and as a loaner/kid's boat from here on in.  It's so stable that I feel as though I actually regress after using it!!!

Hope to see you on 7/13!
Last edit: 4 years 9 months ago by TheJRM.

Latest Forum Topics