Action cam recommendations

More
4 years 9 months ago #34711 by SpaceSputnik
Having played with a couple of cheap cameras for a good while, I am ready to forgo the pain and unreliability and get something better. Not interested in a lot of features. Actually the less the better. I only need 1080 or 720 resolution  at 60fps filming reliably over that 1-2 hours the battery allows. The cheapies can't even be trusted with that.
Don't need a screen and fewer buttons the better. A recording light visible from the front of the cam or anything else that lets me see if the cam is rolling while mounted all the way at the back of the  boat is a pretty sizeable bonus.

So, what should it be? GoPro session? Hero 7 white? Anything else? 

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 9 months ago #34718 by [email protected]
Check out the Garmin VIRB Ultra 30 as well.  One of the best things is the switch that lets you feel when the camera is on or off.  My problem with the GoPros is that it's impossible to tell if the thing is on or off without looking at it.

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...
The following user(s) said Thank You: SpaceSputnik

More
4 years 9 months ago #34719 by SpaceSputnik
Virb X is on sale locally. I know it's not the best resolution wise, but it's ok with me.
I usually mount a camera pretty far back, so being able to tell if it's running by just looking is pretty useful. However it's secondary compared with basic dependability.

• Jef58
  • Visitor
4 years 9 months ago #34721 by Jef58
Replied by Jef58 on topic Action cam recommendations
Another thumbs up for the VIRB. I have the dive case which gives it extra protection. The nice thing about it is the optional on/off (record) switch you can wear around your neck or put it in a pouch to operate remotely.  I guess the downside is the larger size than some of the other options, but the unit does feel like it is well made.

More
4 years 9 months ago - 4 years 9 months ago #34722 by SpaceSputnik
Ok, sounds like I will be getting a Virb X.
Size doesn't bother me, my mount arm is close to a pound in iweight anyways.

How much recording time do you usually get out of a Virb on a single charge?
Last edit: 4 years 9 months ago by SpaceSputnik.

More
4 years 9 months ago #34723 by tve
Replied by tve on topic Action cam recommendations
I know you want to spend some real money, but just in case... I've been very happy with the Akaso V50. I have it in auto-record mode so I turn it on just before launching and when I see the logo I know it's on. Runs about 1h-15m in 2K resolution mode and over 1h45m in 1080p/30fps mode. The 2K mode produces good still images for web posts, the 1080p mode is a bit marginal for that.

More
4 years 9 months ago - 4 years 9 months ago #34725 by SpaceSputnik
I have been using Apeman A77 but for some reason it's getting worse and worse. Tried new batteries, new brand name card but only getting about 30-40 min of footage at best. Seeing garbage files and other odd stuff.
I wonder if all the cold temps had some effect.
Tried something called ABOX which is the same class. That thing is a complete garbage. Most of the time it won't record more than 2 min despite showing as rolling for 2 hours.
Virb X is less than a 100 Canadian more than the Akaso. At this point I feel its safer to go with a big name even though it's pretty moderate in the resolution department. And being able to overlay info on videos sounds really cool.
Last edit: 4 years 9 months ago by SpaceSputnik.

More
4 years 9 months ago #34734 by paddlepop
i'm about to rear pole mount as well and a wrist band remote seems to be the way to go.  the only decision is, is it the gopro 7 black or the sony.  help needed with that!  pete
Attachments:

More
4 years 9 months ago #34736 by sarzelopez
@SpaceSputnik

For what you described
I use a Hero 5 Session, always on 1080-60FPS normally on wide or linear, either way I get around 1:45 recording time.
I don´t use 30 fps at 1080 but it supposedly gets you a little over 2 Hrs.

And you only press one button and it starts recording. No need to look at it, it stays on until it dies or you press it again

@PaddlePop unless you really want to do 4k 60 fps I wouldn´t spend on the 7 black (or the sony at that price point) it is advertised as only lasting 45-50 minutes on that setting and if you plan on using the remote, it takes a HUGE bite on the battery life.

If you can get your hands on a 5 black or 6 black, they both do every setting except 4k 60.

More
4 years 9 months ago #34737 by paddlepop
thanks for that, certainly lots to think about

More
4 years 8 months ago #34757 by SpaceSputnik
Ok, I decided not to go the Virb route, Waiting on a Hero 5 Black to be delivered today.
Also, ordered a dive housing with a battery pack. In theory it should about triple the shooting time.
Not that I need that much footage, but I am guessing the standby time will increase accordingly too so I can turn it on and off from either my phone or potentially a remote control.

www.amazon.ca/dp/B072WNKBG2/ref=cm_sw_em...t_dp_U_EKBnDbE091NC4
Attachments:

More
4 years 8 months ago #34762 by SpaceSputnik
Got the GoPro5 black and the above housing. Did an at-home continuous recording test at 1080p 60fps, Wifi on, Gps on.
Didn't have the app connected all the time, and gps had no sat lock. The overall recording time was about 4.5 hours.
Of course, this is not real conditions. Will test it out on-water soon.

The whole cam+housing+extra battery is quite bulky, about a pound. I will mount it lower than I did with the cheap and light cameras. I am guessing this bulk 7 inches up is something that might affect stability.

More
4 years 8 months ago #34764 by XLV
Replied by XLV on topic Action cam recommendations
I'm looking forward to see how you mount the hero5 with divers case and how it works out. I've been looking for something that can record 4 hours for under ~$200 and this might fit the bill.

More
4 years 8 months ago - 4 years 8 months ago #34765 by SpaceSputnik
Just got back. Was out for 2 hours, the setup had lots of juice at the end. Kept it on on a longish drive home and it's still rolling. In fact I am looking at it right now and its exactly at 4hr and still going.
I mount it using a Fat Gecko suction mount couple of feet from the bow, tethered to the rear carrying handle. I have to be selective where I stick the suction cup on but it stays on well through the remount practice. Haven't been in significant waves with it yet, but it seems like a good mount even for the 500g camera setup on top. I use the gecko without the extender for now. Works fine so far, knock on wood.
Last edit: 4 years 8 months ago by SpaceSputnik.

More
4 years 8 months ago #34771 by SpaceSputnik
This is what the setup looks like:

A sample video: 

Colors look funny, I think because the housing had protective film over the lens that I forgot to remove.
Attachments:

Latest Forum Topics