Evo II bailer

More
4 years 7 months ago #34825 by SpaceSputnik
Evo II bailer was created by SpaceSputnik
The gen II Evos have a pluggable bullet style bailer. The plug is attached to the plastic base by a short plastic strap that, due to the short distance and an aggressive bend gets fatigued and breaks. Just happened to me yesterday. I ended up removing the triangular base, fitting a short piece of thin nylon rope and securing the plug with that.

Not sure it that is a good solution, but it got me thinking.
Is it worth looking into retrofitting a heel operated bailer? Current Thinks use bailers similar to Epic.
Would such retrofit be even possible? Would it be just a matter of cutting out a rectangular opening and securing a new bailer in it or some sort of housing needs to be made?
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 7 months ago #34827 by PSwitzer
Replied by PSwitzer on topic Evo II bailer
After paddling a G2 Ion at Gorge with the old-style Think drainage system you describe, I would say just leave it as is.  With the plug in, it's totally dry which is nice in flat water.  With the plug out, the drainage rate is totally fine for slop/ downwind. 

The new bailer on the G3 boats isn't totally watertight when closed, so every few minutes you have to kick it open to drain a bit if you don't want water sloshing around your feet.  And the fully open position drains a monstrous amount of water quickly, but I never need to do that when paddling.  So I usually just leave it open a tiny bit and leave it there, which is essentially the same thing as having a venturi.  

You might be able to improve the drainage and reduce drag on the venturi by adding a bullet, here's a link to a geek-out thread regarding this option:
www.surfski.info/forum/2-announcements/1...placement.html#20609
The following user(s) said Thank You: SpaceSputnik

More
4 years 7 months ago #34828 by SpaceSputnik
Replied by SpaceSputnik on topic Evo II bailer
Thank you, I was just reading that thread.

More
4 years 7 months ago #34836 by SpaceSputnik
Replied by SpaceSputnik on topic Evo II bailer
After some more thinking, yeah, leaving it as is. It's a slow drain but I just leave it open as closing it has no drag implications.

Interestingly I managed to locate the replacement part online. It's
HOLT ALLEN 223 DRAIN SOCKET + CAPTIVE BUNG GREY.
Sold by several sail stores in UK and Europe. 
Inexpensive, I ordered a few for future replacements.

Latest Forum Topics