One benefit to plastic boats...

• MCImes
  • Visitor
4 years 5 months ago - 4 years 5 months ago #35213 by MCImes
One benefit to plastic boats... was created by MCImes
They can survive a great white shark bite and barely show damage!
ftw.usatoday.com/2019/10/kayaker-survive...k-encounter-catalina

This was south of me about 70 miles. Sounds like the shark was just investigating, didnt like the taste of plastic and moved on.  Im quite impressed how little the boat was damaged. Looks like they could have paddled on indefinitely almost.

Luckily I suspect the large predators like the deep water of and upwelling currents of the Channel Islands vs near shore waters. Makes you think though, what do you do if a shark bites the tail off my boat similar to this story from last year.
www.surfski.info/latest-news/story/1676/...-shark-incident.html
Last edit: 4 years 5 months ago by MCImes.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 5 months ago #35214 by JBL
Replied by JBL on topic One benefit to plastic boats...
That would get the juices flowing! Thanks for sharing 

More
4 years 5 months ago #35215 by [email protected]
Oh man.  I have a sea kayaking friend here in Cape Town who had an encounter with a GW near the Simon's Town harbour some years back.  His full carbon kayak was hit so hard that he was boosted right out of the cockpit into the water and had to remount... 

But the hull wasn't significantly damaged.

(He runs a sea kayak touring company from Simon's Town, so he doesn't tell the story very often, haha!) 

Fortunately (or sadly, depending on where you stand on the environment), the GW sharks seem to have disappeared from Cape Town (or False Bay at any rate) where they've been seen less and less frequently to the point where the beach shark spotting program has zero confirmed GW sightings in 2019.  

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...

Latest Forum Topics